Once You Know the True Meanings... - Vol. 1 Ch. 36 - Persimmon or Oyster

Dex-chan lover
Ok, I like this series but this is the stupidest one. It's not like the Husband's not going to realise the state of the oysters before eating it. At most this is just going to ruin the relationship (and that's assuming that he's really the petty type).

But because of the stupidity, it made it kinda funny actually. Like, you can probably find this joke in a comedy manga.

I think the one detail that people are probably missing (that would be more common knowledge for the Japanese reader) is that Hachiya persimmons need to basically be on the verge of feeling like they're spoiled to be edible, or else they're astringent as hell. That's what the husband is describing here, and why the (mis)pronunciation matters for the punchline.

Dex-chan lover
Japan like the Arab language, words change meaning if the intonation changed. I guess this is pretty common for countries with many dialects.
There's definitely intonation is Arabic but it's not that big of a thing and I can't think of an example of a sentence meaning changing by using intonation.
If you have any examples share them with me pls

Dex-chan lover
This oddly reminds me of a manga I once read, I forget the name, but it was about a couple of women making manga. Artist sends a message to the editor "I had an anal prolapse" and just gets told to make sure she double checks her spelling next time. With the joke being that she sent 脱肛 (dakkou/anal prolapse) instead of 脱稿 (dakkou/finished manuscript).

Dex-chan lover
Is it really a death sentence? Wouldn't it just be some nasty food poisoning? I've just never heard of anyone dying from spoiled seafood, though plenty of stories of people getting sick from it.
Don't ever fuck around with bad shellfish, it's no joke. It can carry vibrio vulnificus, vibrio parahaemolyticus. vibrio vulnificus and vibrio parahaemolyticus can cause diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting and chills. If you have diabetes or cirrhosis it can give you primary septicemia (blood poisoning). also it can kill you. someone and if it doesn't they'll wish it had. Thankfully I've never had it but I've seen people have it. It's rough.
For fun I'm gonna throw in some of the toxins they can carry. These can't be smelled or tasted. They can't be destroyed by cooking or freezing. Saxitoxin can cause diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, numbness, tingling of the mouth/face/arms/legs and can cause death by paralysis. Brevetoxin can cause diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, numbness or tingling of the lips/tongue/throat and reversal of hot and cold sensations. Domoic acid can cause diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain. later on it gets really bad with confusion, memory loss, seizures and can put you into a coma.
Don't fuck around with bad shellfish!

Dex-chan lover
Don't ever fuck around with bad shellfish, it's no joke. It can carry vibrio vulnificus, vibrio parahaemolyticus. vibrio vulnificus and vibrio parahaemolyticus can cause diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting and chills. If you have diabetes or cirrhosis it can give you primary septicemia (blood poisoning). also it can kill you. someone and if it doesn't they'll wish it had. Thankfully I've never had it but I've seen people have it. It's rough.
For fun I'm gonna throw in some of the toxins they can carry. These can't be smelled or tasted. They can't be destroyed by cooking or freezing. Saxitoxin can cause diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, numbness, tingling of the mouth/face/arms/legs and can cause death by paralysis. Brevetoxin can cause diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, numbness or tingling of the lips/tongue/throat and reversal of hot and cold sensations. Domoic acid can cause diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain. later on it gets really bad with confusion, memory loss, seizures and can put you into a coma.
Don't fuck around with bad shellfish!
ok but what if i gave you 12 bucks

Dex-chan lover
This hits different when you have an accent and native dialect that isn't the mainstream/prestige one for your language, and you've been misunderstood because of it. Also I really, really like raw oysters so I am very sad about that.

Group Leader
Husband shoulda talked normally to be understood, not everyone knows what the words mean for another region XD

Users who are viewing this thread