One Day Outing Foreman - Ch. 69 - Starting Point

Dex-chan lover
chp.68 is an ad, has subject matter which is totally irrelevant to the story, is long, tedious and I'm not sure what the punchlines are so I'll skip it for now.

Hanami/flower-viewing is a tradition which happens in Spring for around 2 weeks in March-April. It reminds people that life is short and that you should appreciate the good times while they last. It's usually done with family, friends, or your workmates.

pg.9, Miyamoto reveals that he's been regularly visiting the Izakaya run by the mistress/proprietress. the first time he went was in the early chapters not translated but was shown in the Tonegawa anime, where Odagiri and Foreman visit on their day out, and Foreman tries to get them to join their cinema/peanut mix business together but couldn't because they had to watch "Once upon a time in America"

More puns:
mQIM9ze.jpeg

じゃ~ん is the equivalent of "ta-da!" when you're revealing something like a surprise. I see the panels below it and steel myself to localize another dad joke. In the Japanese version, Foreman asks if "Jyaaan" from the reveal and "jyan" as in the second part of "ma-jyan" (mahjong) were substituted. At first I was thinking of writing it like "Ta-Jooong!" or "Ma-da!" but they sounded kind of lame. The end result is bretty gud, I'm proud of it.

vmNI3fb.png

The owners of Japanese pubs and izakaya's are referred to as "Master" if it's a man and "Okami" if it's a woman. Is it strange to call her "Mistress"? In retrospect, I guess so - "proprietress" would have been better, but it's a thing I did back in chapter 26(?) so it's too late to change it now. I learned that it's important to get these translations right the first time or you'll be plagued by this problem every single time it shows up in future chapters.

Dex-chan lover
I know for the proprietor of a place like that, Kewl0120 uses "mama" in Shima-kun. I always thought that had a good feel.

Hanami is so nice~ My friends and I try to go every year in Toronto, but there's very few parks with sakura and they fill up very quickly. It's also a total crapshoot whether we'll have nice weather.

I've never seen it in Japan... I'm going in May this year, so unfortunately I think I'll just miss them :(

Dex-chan lover
I know for the proprietor of a place like that, Kewl0120 uses "mama" in Shima-kun. I always thought that had a good feel.

Hanami is so nice~ My friends and I try to go every year in Toronto, but there's very few parks with sakura and they fill up very quickly. It's also a total crapshoot whether we'll have nice weather.

I've never seen it in Japan... I'm going in May this year, so unfortunately I think I'll just miss them :(
I watched a youtube video of Japanese female wrestler Kana/Asuka visit a wrestling-themed bar and she called the owner "mama" as well. It's cute.

Dex-chan lover
Easily the best chapter so far... Everybody has a good time, blacksuit-juniors are super-cute, there's even that deep whimsical message about hanami being your save point in life... The feels man, the feels. Oh an the running gag of Ootsuki trying to stay at Kimura's just got better, too.

I'm a bit worried when such nice moments happen because later on they might drop some jet-black lore on ya like an ice bucket :D but this was pure cinema, I wish we'd see it animated...

Dex-chan lover
Easily the best chapter so far... Everybody has a good time, blacksuit-juniors are super-cute, there's even that deep whimsical message about hanami being your save point in life... The feels man, the feels. Oh an the running gag of Ootsuki trying to stay at Kimura's just got better, too.

I'm a bit worried when such nice moments happen because later on they might drop some jet-black lore on ya like an ice bucket :D but this was pure cinema, I wish we'd see it animated...
Can't believe Yanauchi-sama the goat didn't made it :meguuusad:

As far as sad themes in this manga are concerned, I would say that the furthest it goes are the ones which are bittersweet: ie. cooking his mom's curry, cooking his dad's soba, meeting the dog, Yanauchi-san retiring from head cook. Actually, my interpretation of chp.67 (Iron Man) is that Yanuchi-san is...dad. He's curt and says very words but cares about people, and he has to go away. His cooking is something that they've gotten used to and it gets taken away from them, and they live on without it and him.
That's probably why he didn't show up here.

Dex-chan lover
As far as sad themes in this manga are concerned, I would say that the furthest it goes are the ones which are bittersweet: ie. cooking his mom's curry, cooking his dad's soba, meeting the dog, Yanauchi-san retiring from head cook. Actually, my interpretation of chp.67 (Iron Man) is that Yanuchi-san is...dad. He's curt and says very words but cares about people, and he has to go away. His cooking is something that they've gotten used to and it gets taken away from them, and they live on without it and him.
That's probably why he didn't show up here.
So their second dad lefts them to go buy milk and never came back? just like Yassop!

Wait he actually never comes back? that was the last time we get to see Yanauchi? oh man...

Dex-chan lover
OF COURSE IT'S MAHJONG

But in truth Numakawa could have ronned the closed Kan since it's Kokushi.

Also that last page is another masterpiece, just beautiful
I was about to comment that he could've stolen the closed kan too (the amount of times I've dealt into kokushi this way because "colourful button beacons a press" is embarrassing to admit)

However, apparently there are times when robbing closed kan is disallowed depending on the rules discussed before the game, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened here to not ruin the relaxed atmosphere. I also wouldn't put it past Numakawa to be so destroyed by seeing someone call closed kan on his wait that he just didn't consider this as an option and folded instead :D

Dex-chan lover
So it is like when your parents get a divorce, and then you still see one of them every couple of weeks or so? why is this getting real?
It's probably better if your parents split than stay together and hate seeing and hearing each other day in and day out ;)

OF COURSE IT'S MAHJONG

But in truth Numakawa could have ronned the closed Kan since it's Kokushi.

Also that last page is another masterpiece, just beautiful
Mahjong's probably the only game which everyone knows, and it links people from different generations together. I remember playing it with my uncles when I was a kid. Also, my grams was playing it into her 90s up until she passed.

Dex-chan lover
oooh, are you into joshi wrestling? 👀
I checked it here and there when Hana Kimura passed, and I got back into the WWE very recently because there's a really hot storyline leading up to Wrestlemania. I've also found out 3 very popular JP female wrestlers are there now

Dex-chan lover
I checked it here and there when Hana Kimura passed, and I got back into the WWE very recently because there's a really hot storyline leading up to Wrestlemania. I've also found out 3 very popular JP female wrestlers are there now
Oh nice nice, I follow AEW mostly with my bf. He also likes some JP promotions a lot, STARDOM is prolly his favorite joshi promotion if you've heard of that. The Hana Kimura incident was so sad...

Users who are viewing this thread