One Day Outing Foreman - Vol. 14 Ch. 111 - Coffee Shop

Dex-chan lover
After 3 chapters with MSPaint and 85 chapters with paint.NET, your boy has finally gotten around to using Photoshop. The transition has been a total nightmare one of easiest things i've done in my life and I can honestly say that I am a computer illustration god

pg.10, the waitress hands Foreman a wet hand towel, also known as an oshibori. You use it to wipe your hands clean before the meal and it comes chilled in the summer and warmed up in the colder seasons. When I was a kid they'd hand these out in Chinese Yum Cha restaurants. I'd take them out of the plastic sleeves, blow air into them and then pop them. Once I did it so loud that everyone in the whole restaurant just stopped talking lol, and afterwards I never did it again because of the whooping I got. They come prepackaged in paper-towel form or as a full-sized + washed cotton towel

oshibori-hotel.jpg
Packaged-Oshibori-Cropped-Photo-scaled-e1683238596862.jpg

Double-page supporter
pg.10, the waitress hands Foreman a wet hand towel, also known as an oshibori. You use it to wipe your hands clean before the meal and it comes chilled in the summer and warmed up in the colder seasons. When I was a kid they'd hand these out in Chinese Yum Cha restaurants. I'd take them out of the plastic sleeves, blow air into them and then pop them. Once I did it so loud that everyone in the whole restaurant just stopped talking lol, and afterwards I never did it again because of the whooping I got.
Huh, must have been real loud to disturb the almost yelling-like chatter those places have.

Dex-chan lover
The moment I read the words "certified coffeeshop" my brain started playing [not like us]

Kendrick has ruined me by making the most enjoyable earworm about murdering someone's career

Restaurant business is ruthless, they would have had to change their business model and make it part library/study hall and coffee shop in order to keep the ambience and survive in business

I remember reading years ago that for a small restaurant to survive, they would need at minimum to sell between 20 to 30 lunches daily, just to keep itself from not falling into the red.

That means that even with 30 daily regular customers your restaurant wouldn't be making any profits and you would just be breaking even

And that was long before covid and the price of food skyrocketed

Dex-chan lover
This makes me remember all the good local restaurants I went to during my year in college, and the sadness I felt when COVID killed most of them.
Vietnamese place near me burnt their shop down after covid for the insurance money. Can't say I miss them, I've never eaten pho in such small bowls until now.

The moment I read the words "certified coffeeshop" my brain started playing [not like us]

Kendrick has ruined me by making the most enjoyable earworm about murdering someone's career

Restaurant business is ruthless, they would have had to change their business model and make it part library/study hall and coffee shop in order to keep the ambience and survive in business

I remember reading years ago that for a small restaurant to survive, they would need at minimum to sell between 20 to 30 lunches daily, just to keep itself from not falling into the red.

That means that even with 30 daily regular customers your restaurant wouldn't be making any profits and you would just be breaking even

And that was long before covid and the price of food skyrocketed
Let me just wiki that real quick...ah yes. Drake vs Kendrick feud, and the layout is just like a wiki page for a war. Uh huh...the world has left me behind.
The secret is to have your cafe in a mall with open seating. I worked in one when I was younger as an underwater dish technician. Lunch and dinner peaks must've been 50+ dishes per hour by my estimate ;)

Dex-chan lover
Café Chika... Cafe underground... Very soobtle
As sad of a situation as it is, at least they are closing down with grace. We had a fast food place here called Kryla (wings) that set itself up to be an airport-themed place with chicken wings, playstation, beer served all day, and football (soccer) matches being played on TV
Even tho many precious memories were created there too, it slowly went down the drain. Locations were in places where ppl see such a restaurant as a free bathroom and nothing more, no security meant that a single scrawny cashier would be the one both manning the restaurant and trying to shoo away homeless people sleeping in the hall upstairs, and when kfc appeared in the country the appeal of chicken wings was lost on everyone too. 2020 just dealt the finishing blow.

Dex-chan lover
A nice bittersweet chapter~ As a university student, there was a rotation of places we'd go to because they were open super late at night, they were cheap, and they wouldn't mind us staying and chatting for hours after eating. Unsurprisingly, they're all gone now... Since we just chose them based on those qualities and less so for the food, I didn't really have strong memories of them as restaurants, if that makes sense, just as background settings for memories of friends. But thinking about it now, they really were precious places...

I like that Ootsuki's sketching habit is still going strong too :)

HCO

Dex-chan lover
This makes me remember all the good local restaurants I went to during my year in college, and the sadness I felt when COVID killed most of them.
Where I live, foot traffic still hasn't recovered. Half my street is empty buildings and any time a new place opens up, it's 6-12 months before it goes bust. Sucks, man.

Dex-chan lover
It's sad that where I live there truly are no cafes besides Starbucks. When I was a kid, I used to go to Borders (old bookstore chain, rip) to read manga and sip hot chocolate 🥲 It would be so cool if a cafe opened next to our local library....

Dex-chan lover
Café Chika... Cafe underground... Very soobtle
As sad of a situation as it is, at least they are closing down with grace. We had a fast food place here called Kryla (wings) that set itself up to be an airport-themed place with chicken wings, playstation, beer served all day, and football (soccer) matches being played on TV
Even tho many precious memories were created there too, it slowly went down the drain. Locations were in places where ppl see such a restaurant as a free bathroom and nothing more, no security meant that a single scrawny cashier would be the one both manning the restaurant and trying to shoo away homeless people sleeping in the hall upstairs, and when kfc appeared in the country the appeal of chicken wings was lost on everyone too. 2020 just dealt the finishing blow.
oop...I didn't even notice the Chika pun until now 😊
Sometimes I feel frustrated watching you guys go through a once in a lifetime pandemic followed by a once in a lifetime war. It especially frustrates me when the world's attention only has room for one topic at a time so they forget about it even though it's still happening.

A nice bittersweet chapter~ As a university student, there was a rotation of places we'd go to because they were open super late at night, they were cheap, and they wouldn't mind us staying and chatting for hours after eating. Unsurprisingly, they're all gone now... Since we just chose them based on those qualities and less so for the food, I didn't really have strong memories of them as restaurants, if that makes sense, just as background settings for memories of friends. But thinking about it now, they really were precious places...

I like that Ootsuki's sketching habit is still going strong too :)
Yeah, I feel the same way. It's not the places which matter but the memories with your friends.
Wonder how it's like nowadays when a big mac value meal is $15+ while I paid $6.45 for it back then. Less eating out I assume...

Dex-chan lover
Where I live, foot traffic still hasn't recovered. Half my street is empty buildings and any time a new place opens up, it's 6-12 months before it goes bust. Sucks, man.
Yeah. Places near me close at brunch then close again right after lunch. Sometimes they open for dinner on weekdays, mostly not though. The economy's thrashed them around and uber eats/menulog gave them the coupe de grace

It's sad that where I live there truly are no cafes besides Starbucks. When I was a kid, I used to go to Borders (old bookstore chain, rip) to read manga and sip hot chocolate 🥲 It would be so cool if a cafe opened next to our local library....
My starbucks turned into pole dancing studio. Dreams can come true ;)

Dex-chan lover
Another relatable chapter– it's so hard to find a cafe that's juuuust right. Nowadays, at least in my area, too many of the coffee shops go for this excessively modern design that's physically uncomfortable to hang out in even if they have ample space... I agree with Ootsuki, the food/drink itself doesn't need to blow you out of the water if the comfort level is perfect in exchange!
And similarly, my no.1 favorite from back when I was a student has gone out of business lol. I've never been able to find a replacement even though it's been many years...

Users who are viewing this thread