One Day Outing Foreman - Vol. 7 Ch. 50 - Messiah

Dex-chan lover
On page 9, the guy is weeping while calling Yanauchi a "Mess-Hall Messiah". The original line in Japanese is "Meshi-ya de ari Meshia"
Meshi-ya = dining hall, place where people eat
de ari = to be
Meshia = messiah/savior
it's a pun where both words sound very similar. If the mangaka didn't explicitly change the kanji to read as "messiah", I would have changed the line to "the Savior of savory" to keep the effectiveness of the pun.

tnYtAGN.png

There's a lot of wordplay in this manga. A few chapters ago where Foreman was depressed and found himself sitting on a bench outside before he started drinking:

7k1baAO.png

It says that he's currently "puchi hekomichuu" which means that he's slightly depressed.
プチ means slightly
凹み中 means that you're currently down, feeling blue. Hekomi is the kanji with the sort of dent in it.
I talked to Dreamy_Reality a while ago about how he figures out how to name the chapter titles because they're so tricky sometimes, and he told me that he looks at blogs to read people discussing the chapters, and he figures out the context and puns and stuff from there....so now you know how much effort he puts into his chapters for you guys.
Anyway, I did the same for this chapter and saw one commenter say that the opposite of 凹み "hekomi" might not necessarily be 凸, but rather to be "elated", different to how the opposite of "blue" is usually "red".

Surely enough:
iFMGPws.png

In short, I was able to express 凹み as feeling blue, and when he's rightly drunk at the end and his depression's disappeared, he is now feeling 凸 and at the same time he's totally red because he's been drinking. Both the implied and literal meanings of the translated wordplay here fit absolutely perfectly. A lot of things went right for this pun to line up the way it did. It's like playing CS2 and headshotting 3 people with a shot with the AWP because they were all standing in a line.

In this chapter:
When Foreman first learns of Yanauchi's name, he doesn't add the -san suffix, but then he stutters and adds it when he realizes what he's been doing for them preparing their food.
This is a running gag which adds a lot of characterisation. A few chapters back in "Love Story", Odagiri sneaks up on him and Foreman's like "Odagiri! ... ... ... ... -san", begrudgingly putting it on because Odagiri is his senior and respect must be maintained. Foreman adding it to Yanauchi from then on shows how much he respects him, because he considers himself to be older and more important than most he interacts with

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Damn i am cooking broccoli tomorrow, so i will try the trick with the stem because i usually just discard it

Yanauchi sama i kneel!
If you boil it and sap it then it becomes soft. You can add it to ramen or eat it as a side afterwards.
I've always heard that Americans don't like broccoli when I was a kid. That's probably because their parents make them eat it raw lol

Dex-chan lover
Protect Yanauchi-san at all costs! I was shooketh by his glasses haha
Maybe it's reading too much into this but don't blacksuits have their eyes revealed behind the glasses during "moments of humanity"? I wonder if his glasses being like that is because he's in his own heaven of sorts - cooking instead of shaking down debtors or whatever they do.

And many thanks for the TL! Japanese puns are on a whole another level.

Dex-chan lover
Protect Yanauchi-san at all costs! I was shooketh by his glasses haha
Maybe it's reading too much into this but don't blacksuits have their eyes revealed behind the glasses during "moments of humanity"? I wonder if his glasses being like that is because he's in his own heaven of sorts - cooking instead of shaking down debtors or whatever they do.

And many thanks for the TL! Japanese puns are on a whole another level.
Yeah, I felt the same way reading it. He flipped up the shades to focus on the cooking in spite of what Teiai wants to do to the debtors

making account here to say :
THANKYOU SO MUCH FOR TRANSLATING HANCHOU!!
Have been reading raw because there’s was not much chapter translated but I only understand 10% of Japanese’s so it’s really nice be able to finally understand the whole thing. and I really love that you explain more about each chapter in the comment. I really like reading it. thankyou m _ _ )m

also YANAUCHI SAN FINALLY HERE!!! he’s my favorite black suit in this spin off.

Dex-chan lover
making account here to say :
THANKYOU SO MUCH FOR TRANSLATING HANCHOU!!
Have been reading raw because there’s was not much chapter translated but I only understand 10% of Japanese’s so it’s really nice be able to finally understand the whole thing. and I really love that you explain more about each chapter in the comment. I really like reading it. thankyou m _ _ )m

also YANAUCHI SAN FINALLY HERE!!! he’s my favorite black suit in this spin off.
Hell yeah, I knew the translation nerd blabbering would come in handy one day. Got the idea from Tertiaritus to hide it in spoilers so it doesn't clog up the page so expect much more in the future.
Alright, see you around. I'll be trying to translate as much as possible before I start my new job.

Users who are viewing this thread