One Day Outing Foreman - Vol. 8 Ch. 57 - Kyushu

Dex-chan lover
On pg.3 where Numakawa asks everyone what they call the red bean pastries, it's a callback to Chapter 22 when everyone made fun of him for calling it a weird name
'Hanawa' is a comedian whose material was "Saga" and all of its weird quirks
"Look For It - Saga Prefecture", an ad campaign 20 years ago which uses wordplay "Sagashite kudasai, Saga-ken"

Seagaia Resort:
8003_01.jpg

Zombieland Saga: Oh my god, I didn't realize it was "Saga" as in the prefecture. I thought it was just another word for "anthology" or "chronicle"...

Oh, this chapter has a lot of prowrestling references with the ring, the leglock and the "Flair Flop" which Saga does where he drops to the canvas on his own

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
You know, a beautiful thing about art is that it can connect vastly different cultures, with core traits we can all understand.

This chapter isn't one of them. This is like reading about the football rivalry between Ohio and Michigan when you're a mongolian sheep herder.

Dex-chan lover
The author is from Miyazaki isn't he?

The only think i know about Kyushu is that Kumamoto has a bunch of One Piece bronze statues that double as pokestops to play Pokemon Go

Dex-chan lover
I agree with spectralSpices that this chapter is a toughie for us gaijins to relate to

However, credit where credit is due: compared to a similar chapter in Ichijō's spinoff, this was easier to stomach and find enjoyable. Maybe that's because of the wrestling, maybe because it reminded me of how our college group used to discuss each of our own hometowns and what they have going for them. And then they dropped E-card reference and even slightly hinted at RPS, haha, fanservice in full swing!

By the end I felt like I do when I see a soccer match on the pub's tv: I have little clue on what's going on but eventually I get invested and start rooting for people

Go Miyazaki, don't let Saga getchu like dat!

Dex-chan lover
A bit of context to help digest what happened in the chapter:

1. Inter-regional rivalry between prefectures and cities
Places which aren't large and have things going for them like Tokyo/Osaka does tend to be a bit insecure about what they have to offer, and they're fighting for scraps when people want to visit the countryside for tourism. Nagoya slags Tokyo in chapter 19, Kyushu cannibalising itself in this one, etc.

2. The countryside is dying
With the population declining and people moving away from smaller prefectures and cities, there's negative growth and a drop in the economy in these places. Apart from there not being much to do if you're a younger person, the amenities and transport just aren't there which means that it's less appealing to raise a family in these areas. Larger cities are walkable and you don't need to have a car to get to places, unfortunately cars are indispensable in places like Miyazaki

3. Going to Tokyo is special

Tokyo is where everything happens for younger people. There's a term called 上京 where you're going to the capital Tokyo to start a new chapter in your life. This allows people to see the contrast between their hometowns and Tokyo, which makes things like the subject matter in this chapter extra-significant for Japanese people.

These chapters involving lesser known areas and cultural topics, yes, a bit hard to read for us and the punchline misses. If I see 'meh' chapters from now on, I'm just going to TL and releas 2 chapters back to back so you guys don't have to sit on a chapter like this for a week

HCO

Dex-chan lover
One of my favourite aspects of this manga is the outflowing love the author has for his own country and the various bits within.

Users who are viewing this thread