One Day Outing Foreman - Vol. 8 Ch. 61 - Sweets Talk

Dex-chan lover
Monbu Ran...now that's a name I haven't heard of in a while...
Well anyway. In pg.5 Foreman and Numakawa reference a care package which they received from Hokkaido when they talk about Raisin Sand. That's the box of candy they got from Bourbon after the 'Bourbon Draft' chapter.
On pg.6 this new guy with the buzzcut appears. He's actually a debtor from "Tonegawa, chp.50", a comedian who's 15mil yen in debt. Checking the comments in that chapter....holy crap, it's Doomroar and nonsensefakename from 3 years back!
So, the punchline in the last page. Final four is cream puffs, Monburan, pears and Raisin Sand, but the mangaka pro-wrestling swerves it to Anmitsu and Kintsuba.

Anmitsu, a cold Japanese dessert with jelly, fruits, red bean and ice-cream.

Anmitsu-5290-I-1.jpg

Kintsuba, a rectangular red-bean dessert that's covered in gelatin and fried which keeps the inside soft and chewy

kintsuba.jpg

By now, I've realized that Foreman's the type of guy who likes coming up with dad-jokes and double entendres, so he keeps me on my toes a lot. I'm real proud of this TL right here.

je8Lxya.png
\

Isawa says he likes Calpis syrup, the undiluted syrup concentrate you're supposed to cut with 4 parts water.
Foreman says, "iya...omae..." which means: "no. wait what...you're..."
"amai kedo, omae..."
amai: means both "sweet" and "naive"
kedo: but
what he's saying is that it's too sweet, and at the same time his tastes are too childish, and he later puts the kibosh on any more childish suggestions from Isawa. I co-opted the "O' you sweet summer child" saying and changed it into "sweet sugar child". Kept the same intent in the end.

F94ZZDR.png

The comedian strikes me as someone who makes a joke every time he talks. Every single line he says in this chapter is pretty much a pun or a comedy piece, which, if you read the Tonegawa chapter you'll realize how annoying he's supposed to be.

In the bubble before this, Foreman says "nashi wa ari?" - are pears counted?
'ari' means allowed/counted/safe
'nashi' means both "pears" and "no good/not allowed/out", it is the opposite of 'ari'

again, a pun,
"nashi de wa nai!": it's not out, the pears are still in. Nope...ars...

The Tonegawa chapter's gotten me intrigued as to how you're supposed to translate those jokes, and I'd like to post one gag from that chapter per thread and get some feedback and suggestions from everyone here to find out the best way to land them

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
The first gag I'd like to rework is:

4o1fO7J.png

This joke works under the concept of "subversion". The reader thinks that he's going to say "Hop, step and a jump", but instead he says "神降臨/kami-kou-rin", which is a tip-off from an Anonymous poster on 2/5chan where he leaks some yuge deets involving a scandal or whatnot. The literal translation is "god descending"

Users who are viewing this thread