One Day Outing Foreman - Vol. 9 Ch. 71 - Not Yet Eaten

Dex-chan lover
Dojo Nabe, traditional dish originating from the Edo Period. Has a reputation of being quite exotic.
(Wiki)To prepare the dish, pond loaches are cooked in a hot pot. The freshwater fishes are either killed ahead of cooking or are first soaked in cold sake and then cooked alive.

J6pnRZ3.png

The japanese text calls them "Dojou Dou-Tei" which means dojou virgins. I called them the "Dojo Tasting Fellowship, keeping the lewd joke intact through the initials. I hope everyone got it the first time around.

bFpyAlJ.png

This joke on the second last page has Foreman asking them if they've ever eaten "Kusaya" - dried mackerel. I had to change the name of the food to make the joke work this time around, sadly. Isawa and Numakawa say they haven't, and Foreman says "washi mo, mada nakute sa" - neither have I
kusaya, nakutesa...sounds like a straight answer at first but "nakutesa" sounds like an anagram of "kusaya" which makes them give Foreman a blank look before cringing.
The special thing about this is that the ending of "-te sa" is a very hip and zoomer way of saying it, which is out of character for Foreman who uses old man speech, which leads onto the next joke...

6EE9Dow.png

Foreman says "honki desu" - I'm serious, but the reading for it is "maji".
This is one often cited example of how different generations different words for the same thing.
Old people will use "totemo/tottemo", your parents might use "hontou/honki", people our age and younger will use "maji". Foreman is using zoomer slang as friendly bants. Thank god he didn't bring out the "frfr no cap" stuff...that is apparently very triggering when it appears in scanlations :)

Last edited:
Whilst I got the DTF joke, my hungry brain did initially go "ah yes, they're Down To Feast" before clicking on to the actual meaning. Love the TL notes, always interesting to see how jokes have to be reworked for English!

Dex-chan lover
Whilst I got the DTF joke, my hungry brain did initially go "ah yes, they're Down To Feast" before clicking on to the actual meaning. Love the TL notes, always interesting to see how jokes have to be reworked for English!
Lol same here (same 'ear xD damn that was a good one), I was initially too excited about them eating something new to notice the lewd.

Another great chapter, Isawa gives me Murakami vibes - he's just always so happy about his friends having new experiences ;_;

Dojo nabe tho looks a bit eugh to me, I have a love/hate relationship with fish especially loach-looking ._. wonder why Teiai would censor that as if it's a mountain of salmon or something, it really looks rather modest presentation-wise and blotting it out has the opposite effect

Dex-chan lover
I loved that the dad joke at the end was so bad it got a "ZAWA" lol. Glad the foreman recognized that he was getting more conservative about new foods and sought to counteract it. I think we naturally do that as we get older, so we need to counterbalance it with some deliberate adventurousness :)

Dex-chan lover
wonder why Teiai would censor that as if it's a mountain of salmon or something, it really looks rather modest presentation-wise and blotting it out has the opposite effect
Seems to me they're saving the reveal of the dish for the middle of the chapter

Dex-chan lover
Dojo nabe! At first glance, it looks kinda strange. But then I remembered that the Korean equivalent (chueotang) pushes all of the fish through a sieve to pulverize it, which might actually be odder, at least processwise. And it's super tasty. So who am I to judge?

Users who are viewing this thread