Onizuka-chan and Sawarida-kun - Vol. 1 Ch. 14

Dex-chan lover
I don't like the first name basis embarrassment trope, it's dull and oh-so repetitive.

Dex-chan lover
self-destruction

also smh people outside of Japan don't understand why some cultures find first name basis to be embarrassing outside of family members

Group Leader
Haha, using the first name IS embarrassing in their culture (if what we read from manga and anime is real).
It's like admitting that the two of you have an intimate relationship for everyone to hear.

Aggregator gang
@Lyanhyrt apparently it's not just a trope, it's apparently very common to use last name in Jap culture. Some exchange students came to my Uni back then from Japan and they addressed me with my last name when they had questions.

Group Leader
After getting fluffily blue balled by orenchi no maid-san, this is good progress

Fed-Kun's army
From smug to embarrassed in 2.1 seconds! Fantastic Onizuka expressions this time

Dex-chan lover
@SmartBirb They're just societal conventions. =.= Japan is just slower with the way they become familiar with others.

For a smartbird, that wasn't such a very smart comment.

Group Leader
For those that don't get the whole first name thing, instead of first names, imagine they are calling each other darling, honey, or sweetie. That's almost how it feels for them.

Users who are viewing this thread