open manga chapters in new tab [Rejected]

Dex-chan lover
i would like an option to open manga chapters in a new tab by default; right now you can still use middle click but if you click on the box but not the text, it does the weird scroll ball thing. very minor anyways so no biggie if its not added ig

Upvote 1
I prefer to use the same tab myself, so if this were to be implemented it could hopefully be a setting you can toggle. It's a lot more difficult to open a page in the same tab that's set to open in a new one than to force a page to open in a new tab.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
This is a straight-up UI design anti-pattern (to the point that I pretty much believe browsers should stop supporting target="_blank", especially since some people don't even understand the concept of tabs in mobile browsers, but obviously that's a bit of a contrarian opinion). There are multiple ways of achieving this when you want to, as you yourself pointed out. Middle click, right click -> open in new tab, ctrl+click. If implemented, there are no ways around it for people who don't want this behavior.

tl;dr absolutely fucking not imo

Dex-chan lover
This is a straight-up UI design anti-pattern (to the point that I pretty much believe browsers should stop supporting target="_blank", especially since some people don't even understand the concept of tabs in mobile browsers, but obviously that's a bit of a contrarian opinion). There are multiple ways of achieving this when you want to, as you yourself pointed out. Middle click, right click -> open in new tab, ctrl+click. If implemented, there are no ways around it for people who don't want this behavior.

tl;dr absolutely fucking not imo
:( i mean having a toggleable option would be okay too right? that way you still only get it when you want to.

the main thing with those methods is they are little inconvenient, cus you need extra clicks/inputs to do it, and middle click gets funky with the scroll ball thing (on windows at least idk about apple) if you don't click on the text.
(edit: ctrl clicking also only works if you click on the text, otherwise it opens in-tab)

i mainly want this since it makes it hard to read manga further down the updates tab, since you have to scroll back to where you were if you don't open in a new tab; and accidentally middle-clicking into the scroll ball moves you away from where you were too.

maybe im just a whiner though, thanks for taking the time to respond

Dex-chan lover
:( i mean having a toggleable option would be okay too right? that way you still only get it when you want to.

the main thing with those methods is they are little inconvenient, cus you need extra clicks/inputs to do it, and middle click gets funky with the scroll ball thing (on windows at least idk about apple) if you don't click on the text.
(edit: ctrl clicking also only works if you click on the text, otherwise it opens in-tab)

i mainly want this since it makes it hard to read manga further down the updates tab, since you have to scroll back to where you were if you don't open in a new tab; and accidentally middle-clicking into the scroll ball moves you away from where you were too.

maybe im just a whiner though, thanks for taking the time to respond
Ctrl+click works for me when I click outside the text :thonk:

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Sure, we could add every single miniscule option that one guy asks for and would use, but it would come at the cost of code maintainability, keeping the settings clear and usable, and labor.

middle click gets funky with the scroll ball thing (on windows at least idk about apple) if you don't click on the text.
I don't actually know what you mean, middle or ctrl clicking anywhere on the list item (not just text) opens it in a new tab for me, on Windows 10 Firefox and Chrome. What browser are you experiencing this on?

Dex-chan lover
Sure, we could add every single miniscule option that one guy asks for and would use, but it would come at the cost of code maintainability, keeping the settings clear and usable, and labor.

I don't actually know what you mean, middle or ctrl clicking anywhere on the list item (not just text) opens it in a new tab for me, on Windows 10 Firefox and Chrome. What browser are you experiencing this on?
chrome, ctrl clicking still sends the current tab to the chapter (but it also opens in a new tab), while middle clicking works but it does the scroll ball thing.
basically only the text behaves like a link, while the rest of the box is more like a button (if that makes sense)

Custom title
Staff
Developer
chrome, ctrl clicking still sends the current tab to the chapter (but it also opens in a new tab), while middle clicking works but it does the scroll ball thing.
basically only the text behaves like a link, while the rest of the box is more like a button (if that makes sense)
Oh, I actually just found out what you're talking about and figured out something else that's been bothering me sometimes. There's a difference in behavior depending on whether you middle click a chapter on the same horizontal area as the chapter title (because it's a block element that takes up space regardless of whether there's any actual text there), or if you're just hovering over somewhere else. This affects chapter links on both title pages and the update feed.

On Firefox, if you middle click on the chapter name area (which uses a standard <a> element), the reader is opened in a new tab in the background (for me at least, I think that might be based on browser settings), whereas clicking elsewhere on empty space (which uses<div> element with custom click handling) it opens an active new tab. It seems like on Chrome middle clicking on empty space fails to run the click handler for some reason.

tl;dr - This is a bug. The suggestion remains rejected, the middle click handling should be fixed instead. In the meantime, Chrome should handle middle clicking correctly if you target the upper half of a chapter list item, anywhere between where the chapter name starts and the "published since" part begins.

Users who are viewing this thread