Ore ni wa Kono Kuragari ga Kokochiyo Katta: Zetsubou kara Hajimaru Isekai Seikatsu, Kami no Kimagure de Kyousei Haishinchuu - Vol. 4 Ch. 21

Hustling mean putting more efforts into something. Its not to the point of going all out, but still more than normal.
In this case, it basically just mean she will be on shopping spree.

Hustling mean putting more efforts into something. Its not to the point of going all out, but still more than normal.
In this case, it basically just mean she will be on shopping spree.
that's what i meant, but poorly phrased it. should i change the footnote?

Dex-chan lover
Getting some death flag vibes on Rifreya this chapter, I get the feeling that Hikaru's gonna win the viewer count race but then feel obligated to wish her back to life instead of Nanami, after she sacrifices herself for him or something.

that's what i meant, but poorly phrased it. should i change the footnote?
Change it to say "she is on a budgeted shopping spree" i guess
Honestly, i dont know if there is a need for footnotes with the word "hustling"

Aggregator gang
Ok this chapter made me like Refreya and forgot about all the previous bs

Dex-chan lover
@ulysse94 I'm not sure, but I think that the "painless and pain free" bit is a shorthand in Japanese for saying that it's best not to dwell on painful things, and instead focus on living happily. I think there's an equivalent in English, but I can't think of what it is off the top of my head.

Also, the last bit about her feeling guilty... I don't know where the bit about the bell comes from, but... It's a bit old-fashioned, but when someone is speaking of another person's guilty conscience, they'll refer to it as a millstone that is tied around their neck.

And it's definitely an old turn of phrase. It comes from the 18th chapter of the Book of Matthew, where Jesus says that anyone who intentionally leads a child away from his teachings, it's better that they have a millstone tied around their neck and then drowned in the sea.

Harsh, ain't it?

Group Leader
A real man would have come to terms with his friend's death and went with the Blinding light that keeps trying to save him from his pit of despair.
Nah, he was getting there, but suddenly there is a "Hey fella you could win a sure way to bring her back tee-hee". We all know that he had more heavy feelings for her than just friendship. Almost everyone would take the chance.

I think that the "painless and pain free" bit is a shorthand in Japanese
It's "苦しゆうない" twice (translated as "painless", twice)... so I was completely confused. After some revision (in dictionaries), I think it means "no objection, no objection." (which would make sense ig). Corrected it.

And it's definitely an old turn of phrase. It comes from the 18th chapter of the Book of Matthew, where Jesus says that anyone who intentionally leads a child away from his teachings, it's better that they have a millstone tied around their neck and then drowned in the sea.
I wanted to fix it first but I wanted to keep the literal translation. There's indeed "鈴", which means "bell". I understand that it might be weird in English (although, as a french-speaker, I see no problems at all), but can't find a good way of rephrasing it, except by "feeling a heavy sense of guilt", which would be... some kind of euphemism?

Dex-chan lover
It's "苦しゆうない" twice (translated as "painless", twice)... so I was completely confused. After some revision (in dictionaries), I think it means "no objection, no objection." (which would make sense ig). Corrected it.
Ahhhhh, got it. :)
I wanted to fix it first but I wanted to keep the literal translation. There's indeed "鈴", which means "bell". I understand that it might be weird in English (although, as a french-speaker, I see no problems at all), but can't find a good way of rephrasing it, except by "feeling a heavy sense of guilt", which would be... some kind of euphemism?
That's pretty much the gist of it. Guilt is always associated with something heavy, and bells - the good and sturdy kind, not the cheap little ones - usually tend to be pretty heavy.

But I think that leaving in something about bells would be fine. It's pretty evocative mental imagery to say something like someone's guilt was weighing on them like all the bells of Notre Dame - for both the sheer weight of such a burden, and the fact that they're from a place of worship, doubling-up on the moral impact.

Users who are viewing this thread