Osananajimi no Ohimesama - Vol. 2 Ch. 13

Dex-chan lover
That is… actually a rather interesting point of conflict. I know they aren’t gonna stick with it and move to her discovering how she feels romantically, but its so interesting.

I mean you have someone who had to work their butt off to get along with their best friend and is constantly putting in work to keep their friendship strong (probably about half the manga I’ve read would say they stopped hanging out after middle school when the class started saying they should date). Then all of a sudden he gets a crush and someone new effortlessly starts a relationship that’s more intimate than yours.

That’s such an ugly human feeling to be jealous of your best friend’s first crush because of that. I love it. Reminds me of the Amazing World of Gumball, but there Darwin is just jealous at the thought of losing his bff/brother. Here we get the hint that it’s partly that but we’re also pretty explicitly she’s made at the ease of the whole situation for him. Which theoretically, she should be happy anything is making him open up to others and gain more friends, but in reality she hates it. I’d find it really interesting if they introduced a male (or female (just someone platonic)) character who the MC just meshes well with and hits it off fast.

On another note, I really wish manga wouldn’t have HS students or lower use “love” instead of just having a crush or being attracted to or liking. I imagine a lot of the confusion comes from mistaking attraction with love.

Dex-chan lover
That is… actually a rather interesting point of conflict. I know they aren’t gonna stick with it and move to her discovering how she feels romantically, but its so interesting.

I mean you have someone who had to work their butt off to get along with their best friend and is constantly putting in work to keep their friendship strong (probably about half the manga I’ve read would say they stopped hanging out after middle school when the class started saying they should date). Then all of a sudden he gets a crush and someone new effortlessly starts a relationship that’s more intimate than yours.

That’s such an ugly human feeling to be jealous of your best friend’s first crush because of that. I love it. Reminds me of the Amazing World of Gumball, but there Darwin is just jealous at the thought of losing his bff/brother. Here we get the hint that it’s partly that but we’re also pretty explicitly she’s made at the ease of the whole situation for him. Which theoretically, she should be happy anything is making him open up to others and gain more friends, but in reality she hates it. I’d find it really interesting if they introduced a male (or female (just someone platonic)) character who the MC just meshes well with and hits it off fast.

On another note, I really wish manga wouldn’t have HS students or lower use “love” instead of just having a crush or being attracted to or liking. I imagine a lot of the confusion comes from mistaking attraction with love.
To be fair too many adults mix up lust for love.

Aggregator gang
Honestly I would be surprised if this condition is touched upon in a story orginating from Japan, the land of socially stigmatizing even talking about mental health help.

I would welcome it exploring such a rare topic, but I highly doubt this story will take that path.
There's precedent for asexual/aromantic main characters in manga. See Kiryuu-sensei wa Renai ga Wakaranai, Is Love the Answer?, I Want to Be a Wall. And this mangaka's covered themes of the many relationships people can have with "love" before, in It's Not Meguro-san's First Time.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly I would be surprised if this condition is touched upon in a story orginating from Japan, the land of socially stigmatizing even talking about mental health help.

I would welcome it exploring such a rare topic, but I highly doubt this story will take that path.
Yeah, its much more likely that it will go the "realise her feelings" route than that, and its starting to be more and more obvious that he's gonna end up with the childhood friend at this point.

Contributor
Sometimes I feel like knowing too many tropes is a disadvantage. I can't easily tell if Hinaki is going to win in the end because she's heroine A and the titular girl, or if she's going to lose because she's the childhood friend in a romcom with a rival.

Is almost painful to watch how hard she's losing.

You mean Hinaki? Kiyoka may look like she's winning now, but she doesn't seem to have any special feelings for Shunsuke yet, so her chances of winning is actually shakier than it looks. Hinaki is probably going to awaken to her feelings before Kiyoka does, who we know is fixated on playing background shipper between the two childhood friends.

I'd be surprised if Kiyoka falls in love with Shunsuke before Hinaki does. Hinaki is already feeling a little jealous just without understanding why. Admittedly, we're lacking Kiyoka's POV so there could be a chance she's feeling a bit differently now after the hiking trip, but I still think Kiyoka isn't falling in love soon.

In a way, it's a race between "a possibly dense girl who doesn't know yet what love is" vs "a loner girl who has an idea what love is, but actively resisting the idea of stepping up to compete".

Dex-chan lover
Thats the thing right? If she really holds no romantic feeling for him then it makes her a bad person to be stopping him being happily in love. I'm still torn on this series cause it feels well written then stuff like this and last chapter happens lol

but she does love him. she's just don't want to express it or didn't had to cuz she was his only friend. but now there's competition 🗿

Dex-chan lover
Hopefully Hinaki gets some advice from her friend and show us the development we need!

Dex-chan lover
It feels weird to read the comments here, jealousy in friendship is common.
When your best friend gets a girl and starts ditching you, you get upset even if I'm pretty sure you don't have romantic feelings for your bro. Same here if she's aro.

Dex-chan lover
It feels weird to read the comments here, jealousy in friendship is common.
When your best friend gets a girl and starts ditching you, you get upset even if I'm pretty sure you don't have romantic feelings for your bro. Same here if she's aro.
The thing is, she isn't jealous about them spending time together. But his attitude.

Also you are kinda right but also wrong. I could start rambling for a hours on different definitions of friendship. But personally I would feel happy from friend happiness even if it would make things different between the two of us. There's also difference in finding a girl to hang out and actual partner. I'm to old, taking this to serious...

Edit: and let's be clear. MC isn't in love. Guy doesn't even know what it is. At best it's just affection because for first time he find someone similar to himself.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Is Hinaki(twintails) a legit aromantic?

Aromanticism means experiencing little or no romantic attraction to other people.

A aromantic person can form bonds with others, but a common trait is that they feel a sense of uncomfort or even disgust towards having romantic feelings towards other people.
Would actually be interesting if she is.

She is jealous of someone becoming closer to her most important relationship without the romantic context alredy.

Users who are viewing this thread