Otaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii - Vol. 8 Ch. 57.2 - Precious 2

Thanks for the hard work on the scanlations! Looking forward to reading chapter 58 when it's up and ready.

So, did Nao had some 'special feelings' for Kou?

Btw Nao didn't mentioned the tickets when Kou and Ken-chan came

"They" is wrong as well, she isn't some "trans-butterfly" thing, is she? Her gender was clearly established before.

Double-page supporter
Bruh no need to use gender neutral pronounce on Kou-kun, she's clearly identified as a female and it's no secret that she's a female.
No need to pull a Najimi on her.

Dex-chan lover
@Corb @Akinak apparently They in the english language can be used to substitute he or she without referring to the subject's gender. Japanese has a casual word for it, but english doesn't really so it might feel awkward. In this instance, it seems that Nao is considering her as a person, more than her as girl (potential romantic interest).

Personally, I find the usage of they for a genderless he/she awkward since they also is used to point at a collective group, but I didn't invent english, so hey.

Fyi in official translate they use "she" to her, so if you don't want to confused just read the official one

I think that last bubble would have been a great opprotunity to start using "She". Since Little brother finally realize how precious Kou is to him but chooses to use the label "friend'' not wanting to scare her away like he did before by closing distance one sidedly (as he recalls in page 9).

Group Leader
@aemiz

a general PSA, Japanese doesn't reallyyy use pronouns too often in casual speech, so in the case of Sakuragi Kou, please imagine a more gender-neutral presentation. There should also be a TL note in the upcoming chapter(s), so look out for that

@Ceryskies
I know that, but i'm just saying that for a better reading experience that would have been a good timing, instead of dragging Nao's misunderstanding (making him seems even denser that he is) especially on a page subtitle (The lid is...).

And appealing to the particularity of Japanese just after rewriting Kabakura proposal...🤔

Is the reason why Nao uses neuter pronouns for Kou explained in volume 5 or 6? Or is it just translator preference?

Double-page supporter
I’m surprised Yokkun’s trying to see if there’s feelings between them. It seems out of the blue with their interactions as a friend group shown so far.

Dex-chan lover
I thought they were just a boy back then. But finally, I came to realize that they are billions.

Fed-Kun's army
I don't really get why the "she" isn't used her tbh. It's clearly a girl who see herself as a girl even though she looks like a boy so why use "they"? You said it's because in Japanese they don't use the third person but isn't that always the case and the translater pick the good one when translating? So why not doing it here since there is no misunderstanding about her gender anymore?

Dex-chan lover
The usage of "they/them' here feels weird. Kou herself identifies as a girl.

@unime He isn't bi. Stop spreading misinformation.

@not-mobile-guy It is just translator's preference since in Japanese, most of the times they use names, gender-neutral pronouns or just omit them entirely.

I might be a little late to the discussion, but yes, Naoya has already discovered that Kou-kun is a girl (as seen in chapter 30), which led to some drama. Kensuke and Yoshiki had always known this (as shown in the last panel of chapter 20) because they were in the same class as her, and they even made fun of Naoya for being oblivious to it. In chapter 52, they bring up the topic of how they should address Sakuragi now that everyone knows she's a girl. Naoya attempted to start calling her "Kou-chan," but that nickname didn't catch on, so they continue to use "Kou-kun" instead.

Users who are viewing this thread