Otome Danshi ni Koisuru Otome - Vol. 3 Ch. 340 - It's a Shame

Fed-Kun's army
Can someone explain the logic of putting news about Stan Lee's death on a webmanga about a crossdresser falling in love with a girl?

Contributor
@Chrona

Since he died and I am guessing the translator wanted to give him a tiny tribute and let fans know? I've seen this type of thing in other translations so it's not rare.

@Chrona while it isn’t relevant to the series it sounds like he had a big impact on the life of someone in the scanlation group thus they wanted people to know about it.

Fed-Kun's army
@milleniumbug
Ah so it's just a weird thing the group does that isn't really relevant at all in anyway. Thank you for explaining.

Dex-chan lover
@Chrona
If you are new to reading manga, you might not have paid attention and noticed scanlators have often inserted all kinds of afterwords in their releases. They aren't always relevant to the chapter released. The manga release is basically the medium for the scanlation team to express themselves as well. Kind of like editorials in newspapers. Most scanlators don't get any money for their trouble and time, so I feel it's perfectly fair to add something, like an afterword page or a note, especially when it's not hampering reading the manga itself (like a giant watermark in the middle of every page).

Fed-Kun's army
@Kaarme
I'm not new to reading manga, just my second time seeing someone put something completely unrelated and stupid in the side margins. First time was a manga I forget the name of right now which had a scanlator throw a bitch fit when people started removing his "hilarious" commentary he constantly scribbled in the margins. After pages for dumb shit, go ahead, easy to tell it's not a part of anything important can skip right on through. Guess I've just been reading better quality scans on average.

What mostly got me curious is the kind of depressive mindset that uses this type of format to convey news. It just seems like a terrible head space to be in.

Power Uploader
I wonder what can I write tomorrow to piss off Chrona, any suggestions guys?

Fed-Kun's army
Anything you want really. I suppose honest feedback isn't a strong suit of yours.

Your next line is "why are you so entitled?"

Contributor
@kurisu

How about some random unrelated facts?

Like did you know there is only one ocean on Earth? or Potatoes aren't a root vegetable. or Mount Everest isn't the tallest, highest or farthest mountain into the sky on Earth? It's only the tallest above sea level. or The landing gear for the Apollo lander's was built and designed by a Canadian company? Canadian companies used to be heavily involved in NASA and US military development. Just some fun random facts.

Fed-Kun's army
I'm glad you asked! Because professionals in the translation industry have already stated that scanlations seriously hurt authors and the publication industry at large. Therefore everyone should really have a "who gives a fuck" attitude about the entire process like most pirates but people tend to act differently in this scene for some reason. It's a really good read you should give it a glance.
https://mangaplanet.jp/scanlation-speaks-scans-hurt-translator-beverly-maynor-interview/

Thanks for all the work you do!

Dex-chan lover
@kurisu
He still seems to be especially annoyed by Whitepod's (I assume) funny but politically incorrect humour, even though the dude disappeared a long time ago, but Otome Danshi is ill suited for that sort of comments, I fear, since it's not an ecchi manga.

Fed-Kun's army
@Kaarme
It wasn't his commentary that was annoying. The entire page of diatribe of how important he thought his commentary was what truly set the alarms of in my head for what kind of person does those kind of things. His commentary was occasionally funny actually. Probably I'd say 10% of the time.

Edit: I also almost forgot the only scanlation group that actually did anything like that in a consistently funny way. Norway scans was A-grade for tasteful edits to manga dialogue. Predominately helped by how rare it was though.

Group Leader
@Chrona
I'm glad you asked! Because professionals in the translation industry have already stated that scanlations seriously hurt authors and the publication industry at large.
So why you reading ?

Fed-Kun's army
@DjAlexDubCheck
Because some people are adults and can separate the people who do the work from the work itself. I'd probably only stop if he started seriously fucking with the dialogue since I've been a part of a translation group before and find that behavior abhorrent. It's the same reason I can still enjoy Rurouni Kenshin after the artist was convicted as a pedophile.

Users who are viewing this thread