Otona ni Narenai Bokura wa - Ch. 4 - Youth's earphones

Dex-chan lover
Interesting to point out that the girl said the MC is going to school today implying he wasn't going to school before the time loop started (afaik we only knew he went to the infirmary to skip class not school) which btw is where we know the girl from, she was in the 1st chapter saying to MC that class was about to start.

Dex-chan lover
Regarding the dread feeling while reading this manga that some people are getting-

So the biggest fear in my life is death. But not because I'm scared of 'things ending'. No, no, no. What terrifies me is that it might never end. I fear that if there is such a thing as a soul and some kind of consciousness of mine that 'retains', it would retain for eternity. That regardless if there is reincarnation or not, there is literally no end. That this 'soul' will forever exist in some sort of superposition, be it via different lives or just floating in a 'void'. Every time I catch myself thinking about this, I get a shiver run down my spine and immediately try to distract myself with something not to think about it. It's a terrifying thought that grips me once a year or so.

When it comes to time loop stories, I think they generally fall into one of two categories:

a.) the characters are stuck at some point in their lives and the time loop is a representation of this limbo to break out of and 'move on with your life'. A story about 'moving forward'
b.) the characters have died and are in the afterlife trying to 'deal with their emotions' and basically draw a conclusion about their lives to be able to pass on. So it's like a story about accepting yourself. A bit different from moving forward, because there is no forward, but just acceptance.

Fundamentally, however, both of these branches can channel that exact same dread I get about this idea of infinity and being 'stuck in limbo'. I think reincarnation as a religious concept was in no small part 'invented' to combat this dread.

The manga/anime 'Girls Last Tour' that someone mentioned on here earlier is another good example of that later 'afterlife' branch, while something like Hakomari is a good example of the former.

Anyways, I wasn't really going anywhere with this comment, so there is no conclusion, but just wanted to get some emotions out that this manga brings out in me that maybe some people in some form relate to :)

Contributor
I thought last time it was up to Ichinose to push harder on Nonaka for that romance she wanted to try, and she does not disappoint. Class prez is introduced. I'm sure we'll see her again from now on now that we have her name. Too early to tell if she's got feelings for Nonaka, but she was curious about their relationship at least.

I wonder who that male teacher with the glasses was. He bailed after seeing Ichinose in the staff room. Her brother? Or maybe someone who knows about her gravure modeling gig?

They've started fooling around in school in rebellious ways that kinda remind me of the mischief some of the students pull at the school in Angel Beats. I don't know if this will continue with just the two of them, or somehow add more characters by pulling more and more students into the loop.

Dex-chan lover
Im gonna call it : They are gonna end themselves in that room to skip to the next day.

But plot twist, At some point, it is revealed that whenever they loop, the world that they die in / sleep in doesn't end but still goes on with them being dead / asleep as part of the thing that happens there.

Aggregator gang
Nonaka hid behind the photocopying machine just before the teacher with glasses came in. It's as if he knew the teacher would come in at that precise time and leave immediately. How many times has Nonaka swiped the school keys?

Dex-chan lover
You know this is very cute and all, but I always get a feeling of dread when reading it.
I keep imagining what would happen if at the end of the day the loop ends and they forget all the time they spent together.

Dex-chan lover
I hope this won't go off the rails completely. I want it to preserve the serene and somber atmosphere it has in the background to the end, like other stellar examples of weird chill and thoughtful apocalypse/tragedy/time loop manga managed to do.

Fed-Kun's army
Intriguing so far. MC is bland as hell but the concept and girl are interesting enough to keep me reading

Dex-chan lover
Interesting to point out that the girl said the MC is going to school today implying he wasn't going to school before the time loop started (afaik we only knew he went to the infirmary to skip class not school) which btw is where we know the girl from, she was in the 1st chapter saying to MC that class was about to start.
I think he was being bullied or something, remember on the first chapter 2 dudes were making fun of him and he punched one of them, then the other went "was he always like that?".

Fed-Kun's army
But plot twist, At some point, it is revealed that whenever they loop, the world that they die in / sleep in doesn't end but still goes on with them being dead / asleep as part of the thing that happens there.
Now here is a mental exercise for you: Does it really matter if that world ends or not? What does it even mean for it to end, if that end was not a result of the rules and actions within it but something external?
Does an infinite series end just because we stop calculating it? Do a function's values outside the range we cared for stop existing? Does a simulation need us to simulate it, if its events and results are already predetermined by its initial conditions and rules?

Dex-chan lover
For real, who hasn't once thought about doing something like this in school?

Group Leader
I have one big question here... What will they do when they need to pee?

Dex-chan lover
You know this is very cute and all, but I always get a feeling of dread when reading it.
Well, I think both protagonists have depression.
You can see this on the MC (for obvious reasons, his mother died one month before the loop) and the FMC (she tried to kill herself a lot of times)

Users who are viewing this thread