Otoyomegatari - Ch. 106 - Returning Home

Dex-chan lover
A timeskip soon is inevitable, right?
Can't wait to see Karluk post-time skip!

7D9xaYv.jpg

Dex-chan lover
19th century England was a predominantly Christian country. I thought a Muslim woman can't marry a Christian?
do we know for sure what religion Talas is? I thought they were still practicing Tengrism in that part of the world in the mid-19th century.

Dex-chan lover
The lack of background stuck out to me. She must be rushed or something. Usually her panels are very detailed.
I noticed that too, and wondered the same but by the end, mostly when it featured Talas, I wondered if it was a stylistic choice.

Like to represent isolation, or to focus on the matter at hand. Before we were encouraged to be engulfed in every culture but here is our first bride story about two parties of different cultures and races and maybe Mori wanted us to focus on how characters are reacting.

I guess we'll find out when the manga is published. Sometimes when artists are rushed for time they will skimp on detail and get back to it when it is republished for the collected edition.

Edit: Just read more comments and Mori recently had surgery, so she she might be lightening her load by simplifying some things.

Contributor
@TBSP

Thank you so much for the release!

By the way, I want to join the Otoyomegatri discord channel-thingy, but the invite you guys have has expired.

Dex-chan lover
Idk why but i thought Henry would had dumped her in England and act like he didn't know her. Glad to see he's not though.
No, not sure if you have read the whole manga, but he's fiercely loyal and stubborn to a fault. His mother will probably not approve at first, but either he will convince her through sheer stubbornness or his fiancée will convince her somehow.

Thank you for the update !!
Glad they arrived safely. I love Henry's father. Hope the mother would accept Talas soon (or at least the situation), she's such a gem and as the cook said it must be so hard for her to be in a new whole country and not knowing anything at all. Henry is a reliable guy, support your fiancée boy !!

Fed-Kun's army
Older era Muslim are allowed to marry Christian and Jews
In their terms, they are referred to them as "People of the Book" (refering to Bible and Torah) or follower of Jesus and Moses who are still acknowledged as Prophet in Islam.
Modern Islam, not so much.

But whether Christian allows marriage against Moslem partner is also different story.
one argue in some modern cases, the marriage is allowed but there will contract to ensure the future child will be taught christianity.

Idk if you're Muslim or not, but that is false (Or you're confusing it all).

Muslim males are allowed to marry women from "People of the Book" (Christians and Jews), however Muslim females are not allowed to marry Non-Muslim males (its haram). If such scenario occurred, she would be put to death under the Sharia because it would be considered zina (adultery).

Further consequences (culturally) would include her family retaliating against the Non-Muslim man (maybe his family too) for defiling their honor.

Fed-Kun's army
do we know for sure what religion Talas is? I thought they were still practicing Tengrism in that part of the world in the mid-19th century.

Most Central Asia during this time was Sunni Muslim, only Tengrists you would find are in the Altai mountains or Siberia.

Judging by her clothing she's Turkmen, and all of Turkmens converted to Islam waaaay back, before the the Mongol invasions even.

Double-page supporter
Henry proceed this quite smoothly, I believe he also have another plan if they fails to convince his mother to accept Talas.

Thanks for the update! Been missed this since long time!

Dex-chan lover
Most Central Asia during this time was Sunni Muslim, only Tengrists you would find are in the Altai mountains or Siberia.

Judging by her clothing she's Turkmen, and all of Turkmens converted to Islam waaaay back, before the the Mongol invasions even.
i see, thank you!

I'm wondering if Talas will ask Henry to teach her some English, to properly communicate with the family, or ask about the women's clothing, but I'm in doubt on the last, since covering her hair is very important on her culture. In any case it would be cute to see both their attempts to win the family over

Aggregator gang
Idk if you're Muslim or not, but that is false (Or you're confusing it all).

Muslim males are allowed to marry women from "People of the Book" (Christians and Jews), however Muslim females are not allowed to marry Non-Muslim males (its haram). If such scenario occurred, she would be put to death under the Sharia because it would be considered zina (adultery).

Further consequences (culturally) would include her family retaliating against the Non-Muslim man (maybe his family too) for defiling their honor.
On an humorous note: They are cordially invited to try to travel to Victorian London to enforce that.

On a serious note: Not to mention, the hilariously large number of such marriages that HAVE taken place historically, with about zero consequences whatsoever. What usually DID happen in the real world, was that when two people of different religions married, one (usually the one who "went to live in the other's house", 99.99% of times the woman) took the religion of the other, and that was the end of it.
Source: actually live in a country that had Christians, Jews AND Muslims living together (when they were not fighting each other) for a whole 700 years. Trust me, the number of historically documented cases is staggering.

Dex-chan lover
I'm wondering if Talas will ask Henry to teach her some English, to properly communicate with the family, or ask about the women's clothing, but I'm in doubt on the last, since covering her hair is very important on her culture. In any case it would be cute to see both their attempts to win the family over
Talas explaining how immodest English Victorian clothing seems to her should be good for a laugh.

That and in her culture brides practically treat their mother-in-law as second only to god (and their father-in-law). Talas being kind, hardworking, intelligent, modest, and highly filial should warm Henry's mother to her at least a little bit.

Talas is karakalpak not turkmen

Users who are viewing this thread