Otoyomegatari - Vol. 11 Ch. 72 - Vows

Aggregator gang
Page 16: With lots of story yet to be written, five fake bucks say that the end of the tale will be Smith safely taking that escape route through India after saying good bye to Karluk and Amira and family

Banned
The other bloke:
monty_python_silly.jpg

Page 14 -- topmost panel, showing all 4 of them sitting down to a discussion:

I absolutely appreciate how everyone's way of sitting beautifully mirrors their personality.

Dex-chan lover
Wow! A signet ring is an even more significant gift than a watch!

The ring is the equivalent of giving one's hanko (The stamp the Japanese use by way of a signature.) For all the 'love never ending' symbolism that pastors like to use when talking about the ring in marriages, the significance of a ring is much more direct than that. Giving a ring gives that person the authority to act in the place of the giver. A ring's face, stamped onto wax, is the signature and approval of the family.

In the story of the Prodigal Son, the father restores his son to the family by giving him his mantle and ring. In the movie "Ben Hur", Hur is adopted by a Roman Senator, and shows this to another person by impressing the Senator's ring into a wax tablet. Henry Smith similarly carries a signet ring, a device specifically for affixing the seal of approval of his family, even though the written signature has, by then, supplanted the seal in common use. Giving her his ring symbolically gives her the same authority as a legitimate family member.
You have the absolute right of it. In these modern times it's hard to remember, at least for a Westerner, the significance of giving a ring to a woman whom you are married to. I don't know if the people of Central Asia have the same practice of using seals in order to signify approval, but if they did then she would have been absolutely dumbfounded by his gift. It is way more significant than an expensive watch

Dex-chan lover
I like how Smith's friend says that intelligence and research can look very similar. I suspect that he is actually using Mr Smith, and probably a network of other such wanderers, in order to do exactly that: gather intelligence. They don't say what he does for a living, but he is stationed in Ankara, and appears to have substantial means. He also has trusted agents whom he can send out to travel hundreds of miles in order to deliver a message, etc. As I recall, he also had letters delivered to Smith by way of a female Western traveler .

One could easily imagine him at his station cultivating relationships with these different people, native and European. He would be the one that everyone would go to in order to get travel papers or letters of introduction or just smooth things over. Just as Smith and Ali found themselves hosted by a wealthy man and his wife, given considerable hospitality during that time, then others would perhaps also find themselves with their travels facilitated by a letter or word sent ahead to another city. Adventurers, hunters for exotic game, scholars and archaeologists, trade representatives looking for connections to villages that make traditional rugs and tapestries, all of these would be referred to that man in Ankara. He would send them out with not much more than a sense of gratitude and obligation and some small errand. "Please pass this letter on to so and so when you get to such and such city." "If you happen to be in that region in the summer, I would appreciate knowing how the opium harvest has gone."

All of these little facts would be streaming back to him in letters from otherwise innocent travelers who just pick up a word here and there. And then he would pull it together into a report that he would pass on to Her Majesty's foreign intelligence service.

I am sure he is genuinely Henry Smith's friend, but he is also taking advantage of his school chum's predilection for bumbling around foreign lands to pick up more data then any Cloak and Dagger worker could obtain.

Users who are viewing this thread