Overrated anime titles

Dex-chan lover
iu

most average anime. why do people hyphe this one:facepalm:. the mc asta is cringe .the only thing i found good was the latest arc of manga.

Dex-chan lover
Chainsawman

Last Exile Fam the Silver Wing

Sword Art Online

More than couples, less than lovers

Dex-chan lover
Last Exile Fam the Silver Wing is all about Fam.

Fam metaphorically ( Dom Tureto ) and Fam the character of the story.

Dex-chan lover
Last Exile Fam the Silver Wing is all about Fam.

Fam metaphorically ( Dom Tureto ) and Fam the character of the story.
Fam literally reuses OG Last Exile's story structure here and there, it's undeniably less inspired.

Only saving grace is that the anime's direction is strong, but that might just me comparing recent year anime to it

Dex-chan lover
I'd like to pitch in my opinion in this matter
I think to rate and anime is a very complicated matter, compared to movie for example

I think this whole anime awards and overrated debate is futile to say the least,
just what is "a good anime"? what constitute as "overrated"?
it is really opinionated

I'll split my opinion in 2 part:
first
let me start by saying this. jjk s2 is overrated af. dont get me wrong it has the best animation of the season. but anime needs more than just good animation. i genuinely enjoyed s1. but s2 had no character development whatsoever and was filled with random fights . got bored and dropped it.
I kind of agree that when I watched jjk s1 and 2, I don't see all the hype about this show
story wise, I think the story is just standard Shonen
for example, the attack on school duel thing on s1, that reminded me the plot in MHA
and in my opinion, again: story wise, MHA did it better,

but, in focus of overrated, I think what a lot of people missed or forget is that
I think one need to have at least an ample of interest on the genre to be able to say whether a show is "overrated" or not.
if you don't like that type of show, then anything within that umbrella can be perceived as overrated
and that "type of show" can really mean anything in anime: the genre, the artstyle, character design, the ost, etc.

that's why, to me, if I want to say a show is "overrated", it needs to be
  • a genre that I frequently watch (maybe every season)
  • artstyle and character design that fits to my preferences (songs also counts for me)
  • a general score that is 2-3 points higher that what I would give to it
and sadly, currently there are no shows that meet those criteria
edit: turns out, there are some anime that fit those criteria, but the general score is around 7.7 and my score is 5,
so I'm not sure if I can truly call it overrated given its meager value

that's why, most of the time, I don't really say whether a show is overrated or not,
I just say that "I don't like it (or an aspect of it)" or "it's just not for me"

just like jjk
I think it's fairly good
I only watched s1 when s2 aired, but I had more fun watching jjk s1 compared to s2,
I do want to say that it is overrated, but my score is still within 2 points margin below or the general score
so... ¯\(ツ)

[end of part 1]
I don't say anything about story here, let me continue to part 2

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
my second opinion is about the "anime award"
and what is "a good anime?"

but I think determining whether an anime is good or not is very, VERY, complicated

if I compare it to movies, unlike most movies, whether it is real person or cartoon movies,
I'd say a good 90% of modern anime is an adaptation, right?
and the problem lies in the "adaptation" part

in movie, the script is obviously specifically made for that movie, right?
There are very few films that adapt existing stories, and even then usually the story is changed a bit
so the story is in one package within the movie

whereas in anime, I usually feel conflicted when someone says an anime is bad because the story is bad
because like,
Is that the anime's fault, or the source material's fault?
like... the anime is adapting the already established source
it'll create even more problem if they deviate

like everyone else, I hate when the adaptation cut the story too much, or add unnecessary filler that ruin the story,
but if the story is already like that...
is it the anime's fault?

there's not much the anime can change in term of the story, right?
that's why for anime I focused on the aspect that I can't get from the source material:
how good is the animation, how fitting is the ost/sound, the voice actors, etc.

same thing in jjk and demon slayer,
well, the story IS like that in the manga, what can I say? it is just what it is
but I can't deny that the animation and the detail is godlike
it adds value with those animation/movements to the source material which lacks those capability
so if you average them all, the results will still look good

a polished turd, is still hella shiny

Dex-chan lover
and in my opinion, again: story wise, MHA did it better,
i agree sir
but, in focus of overrated, I think what a lot of people missed or forget is that
I think one need to have at least an ample of interest on the genre to be able to say whether a show is "overrated" or not.
if you don't like that type of show, then anything within that umbrella can be perceived as overrated
and that "type of show" can really mean anything in anime: the genre, the artstyle, character design, the ost, etc.
respectfully sir , i genuinely enjoy shonen genre.i'm a opnepiece fan.completed naruto,bleach [finished the manga],tokyo gouhl etc.currently reading hunter hunter ,csm,kagurabachi,sakamoto days,dandadan etc..

just like jjk
I think it's fairly good
i agree to this. there wasn't any character development . it was kind of a mess watching random fights. as a hh fan the culling game felt a copy of Greed Island and the Succession War a lot. i get that the mangaka was influenced by hh but his execution is pretty terrible. the pacing is pretty bad.
I only watched s1 when s2 aired, but I had more fun watching jjk s1 compared to s2,
i also felt s1 was more interesting. it kept a balance in action,story and comedy.

Fed-Kun's army
Hunter x Hunter, the most overrated trash I ever watched. It was so bad, it permanently turned me off of shounen. I've never been more angry in my life watching an anime.

Dex-chan lover
Hunter x Hunter, the most overrated trash I ever watched. It was so bad, it permanently turned me off of shounen. I've never been more angry in my life watching an anime.
which version did ya watch?
the new one's shit and the old ones good . i enjoyed watching the old one

Dex-chan lover
Overrated: Ghibli
Overrated maybe but Disney better? Eh... Old Disney but not really with current

I would still recommend Naruto & Naruto: Shippuden to people instead of 12 / 24 episodes like Jujutsu Kaisen and whatever similar newer popular titles.
Unfortunately not all people have the time or energy to watch hundred episodes of Naruto. So 2 course anime easier to watch. Beside I don't think these new popular anime is that bad, it's people kinda tired seeing it that's why some hating it

I've never heard anyone praising Erased
The music pretty good tho

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Fam literally reuses OG Last Exile's story structure here and there, it's undeniably less inspired.

Only saving grace is that the anime's direction is strong, but that might just me comparing recent year anime to it
Fam was the final blow to Gonzo, which afterwards declares bankruptcy a decade ago.

Dex-chan lover
iu

most average anime. why do people hyphe this one:facepalm:. the mc asta is cringe .the only thing i found good was the latest arc of manga.
Is it when the author start to killing the characters?
Bruh, you complete opposite of me. I literally watch it twice

Dex-chan lover
For me the overrated anime is oshi no ko

Pretty good at beginning like really good. Who would've thought the story would turn like that.

And again "WHO WOULD'VE THOUGHT THE STORY WOULD TURN LIKE THAT". it's turning into some weird romance race to who gonna ride aqua's dick first.... Even the damn twin sister (well there's things with the murder too)

Dex-chan lover
For me the overrated anime is oshi no ko

Pretty good at beginning like really good. Who would've thought the story would turn like that.

And again "WHO WOULD'VE THOUGHT THE STORY WOULD TURN LIKE THAT". it's turning into some weird romance race to who gonna ride aqua's dick first.... Even the damn twin sister (well there's things with the murder too)
OnK has always been Aka's thinly-veiled mouthpiece to rant about whatever, I never felt like it was ever going anywhere.

Funny how former fans pretend it was bad from the beginning only after recent developments though, the dishonesty is insane, you really can lie about anything on the internet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread