Paradise Kiss

Double-page supporter
The ~actually finished~ masterpiece of the incomparable Ai Yazawa (Half-Life 3 will be finished before Nana resumes).

i almost never root for the side characters. but george is such a pompous jerk lol. not a fan of yukari either but at least she's not an emotionally-manipulative child like george is. this was a hard read

I agree this was hard to read. George is a total jerk and the MC is annoying. I want to read to continue for the side characters but thats it. MCs dont really have any appeal.

I first read ParaKiss when I was around Yukari's age. At the time, I couldn't understand why Yukari wouldn't run away with George. I had this childish notion that you should get married to your "soul mate", and even upon a second reading over 10 years later, I do still think they were soul mates. But George was right: Yukari made the right decision.

That person who brings out the best in you, who sets your soul on fire, they're the person who changes your life and leaves an indelible mark, but they're not exactly the kind of person you can grow old with. No, not Yukari and George. They were too alike--that was part of the reason why their union seemed like kismet. George was passionate about Yukari because she allowed him to be his best at the thing he really loved. Yukari loved George because he helped her to discover her own identity and find her passion. They needed each other when they had each other, but to grow into their fullest potential they needed to take separate paths. I see that now.

I have nostalgic feelings for this manga because it was one of the first I ever completed, but for its time it was bold and progressive--you know, it still is. The message of furiously pursuing your passion is really inspiring, even to this jaded obaa-chan. It's a story that captures that elusive time on the cusp of adulthood full of change and high-charged emotions and excitement and possibility.

It lives up to the hype. I think this is Ai Yazawa's best work.

Such a masterpiece, a beautiful and bittersweet coming of age story.
I first read it in 2003, when I was in my teens. Back then I cried a lot and thought the ending was sad but beautiful ...
Rereading it now I still think the ending is sad and beautiful but I completely understand the reasons. They were madly in love, they were soulmates but they would not have been happy together for the rest of their lives. They met at the right time, they helped each other grow and they had to break apart in order to fulfill their dreams, to find themselves. They will always remember these days, and they will still have love for each other.

Users who are viewing this thread