Peerless Dad - Vol. 2 Ch. 152

Dex-chan lover
@jordong
I am actually really glad that the author is putting a stop, or at least preventing the MC at the moment, from making any use of ki.
The moment I heard "Metal Ki", it just rubbed me the wrong way. Fire ki, lightning ki, water ki.....Incredible over-simplification of magical techniques, by grounding them up to: "A type of energy you blow out your nostril". And it gets even worse for the MC, because: "The MC is tough like metal, but why? Why, of course, because he has metal-ki! Hoho! Case solved!"
That's incredibly boring and childish. I much prefer the idea that a tough body = a trained body, not one which injects magical metal steroids.

If in the future there'd be any more mention of ki, I hope it'd at least have a tad more depth than "I chew a fire pill and now I can breathe fire lmao".

Yeah, it rather seems to me that the metal ki is something the MC recently learned from the Demon God. His body's strength definitely is the result of the "beatings" his master gave him. Which is also why Noh kinda refuses to teach his daughter. It's just not proper in this time period to a. have a woman with a burly body, and b. beat up a girl in general.
Also, it'd be stupid if any random person could learn some kind of ki and suddenly become super strong, without any rules or principles to follow simply in order to stay in control over the new-found skill. If you want to become strong, you also need to know your own physical and mental limits, and build it up slowly but constantly, so your body or mind doesn't get damaged in the process. If the same doesn't apply to ki, then the author should just call it "magic" and start a fantasy story with other nonsensical elements.

Anyway, it was kinda funny to read this chapter during these Corona times. When he said "Does anyone else want to talk about their rights, or is unable to recognize their lack of skill", I could hear all the Karens in the world scream "But mahh riiiights! Mah Frrreeedomss!" in unison in my mind. 😅

Dex-chan lover
@RanaRana
I phrased it badly, not that this one will be any better: I was implying that once you present a "new power", any old ones quickly become obsolete. Why continue train his body if ki does so much more? I'd rather he continues to train his body than switch to another paradigm at this point in the story.

I think that his master's wife will be that ice queen that Noh's daughter is obsessed with

@Solipsist

I do like the way the author has structured the content compared to generic Murim/wuxia novels/comics. Normally its : cultivate -> get (more) ki/qi -> defeat villain / get stronger through adversity (usually followed by lamentation at lack of strength) >> (rinse and repeat with lucky chances).

However here its got a huge focus on world and character building before really introducing what is the "meat" or power system of the story (how we judge character's strength against one another outside of pure talent - which is also why the kid's story has been interesting). If i have one complaint its that it dangles too many components without going into appropriate detail - but for Ki (the last few chaps) they've used that as a strength (also its a manhwa adaptation so *shrug*).

iirc there wasnt really much mention of the elements or whatever else before so by giving a short & vague introduction it is supposed to pique the user's interest while not doing a huge change on the character's strength and giving the reader too much to digest at once. The story is balanced and you also get gratification of how the MC has had their strength developed and will develop in future. However, the mysterious master/old person (granny) appearing is a bit cliche & convenient.

I know the novel may be different from the manhwa, but the way it's been approached is affectionately thought out.

next handful of chapters better be poggers cuz im so confused now with the storyline within the storyline etc

Dex-chan lover
@jordong
Yeah, I can get what you're saying. The story definitely feels like it has a lot on its plate, but chooses to focus more on social interactions instead. Such is Korean stories, I guess.
All I have left to say, is that oddly enough, this "short introduction to pique our interest" actually gave me the heebesjeebes. :u Most likely because this story is so much about slow build ups, that an instant powerup like that metal-ki just seemed off-putting.

Dex-chan lover
I am really intrigued as to what is happening right now. I do wish they split up the storylines a bit more, I just don't find myself caring about the gang politics back at the sect.

Yeah, your master (Mo Wei) was quite the splendid person. There weren't many others that knew as many people as him. Out of hundreds of thousands, he was even acquainted with that ill-tempered man .

Who is the granny talking about?
A) the other Bloodless one (water master)
B) Noyah
C) masked anti-hero (father of the saved child and lord of the Devil Twins)
D) other ideas?

@Dikus The other one who went to the Red Storm manga, who had his own Clan/Cult (or smth like that) whose daugther now became the new head.

Users who are viewing this thread