Peerless Dad - Vol. 2 Ch. 165

Dex-chan lover
This feels like an ENORMOUS tangent, for absolutely no reason at all.
Why would the MC even need the life-booster, in context of everything that has already happened? Sure, it'd be nice to "live longer", but why would that be absolutely necessary to just create a bizarre side quest like that, out of nowhere?

Also, yey some actual lore. Broom-grandpa wasn't really bullshitting all along.
I also wonder if the twins' rank as "demons", mean that they are bad guys, or if it has some other meaning in Korean.

@solipsist

Absolutely agree. I was expecting him to say no and keep on his way. One of his qualities has always been his humbleness. He knows he isn't the strongest and knows stuff like this isn't for him.

@Solipsist About the "demon" rank and "enlightened" rank, it has nothing to do with being "good" or "bad". Besides, good or bad is all in the eye of the beholder anyway, the world isn't so black and white. If someone gets in your way or does sth. that's disadvantageous to you, they're "bad" to you. But at the same time, they might be doing that to help someone else, which would mean they're "good" to that person (and you'd probably be "bad" to them).

Either way, as far as my limited experience with Korean ( and Chinese) martial arts stories goes, the Murim world is divided in some sort of "Dark" faction and a "White" faction. The highest ranks/strongest within the sections are either called "Demons" (dark faction) or "Sovereigns/Kings/Emperors"(white faction). The names change slightly depending on the translators/story. Also, I'm not sure what they base the division on, I'm guessing it has to do with the type of martial arts you use. Both factions are usually also at odds with each other, either full on at war, or more underhanded and verbally during relative peace time.

However, I understand it's easy to get confused by it (the first times I read about it I was as well), since the white faction can also be called the "Righteous" or "Heavenly" faction, while the dark one can get names with a more negative connotation. Even so, in the stories I've read, they've never absolutely equalized them with straight-out being good or evil, but it came mostly down as a name. Of course you'll get members of the white sect saying those of the dark one they're evil and stuff, but that's again a matter of my first paragraph. The factions aren't friends with each other, after all. The division is just yet another way of "Us and Them, if you're not with us you're with them, ergo the enemy". In other words, another way of causing strife.

If someone has a more comprehensive (and probably more correct) explanation, feel free to do so. If I offended someone with my explanation because the Murim stuff might be part of Asian history of which I don't know Jack about (aside from the biggest events), and with my European upbringing I probably look like an ignorant asshat, I'm sorry.

Group Leader
@Angie7 nah you not ignorant asshat I also read few chinese and korean martial art stories so its kinda true what you said but there is also where demon faction sometimes use inhuman ways like blood sacrfice etc , so other faction white faction tends to kill the ones from demon faction in some stories like you said there is no genral rule for dark faction and white faction in Murim world anyway nice explanation

Dex-chan lover
@Angie7
Rather than lecturing people about morality, maybe try to read between the lines. my angle was that if they are "bad guys", that suggests that they assist the twins for a nefarious reason. And the black / white factions you talk about generally have one massive difference between them: the demonic practitioners tend to be like Swamps from MTG: they subsist on sacrificing others for their benefit, while the white faction is more individualistic. If that's true, the old-twins training the kids cannot be a good thing for them, which is supported by the actions of broom-grandpa.
This is why I wondered if there is actually a different use of the word "Demon" in context, and in the original language.

@spiderbait
Hopefully there'd at least be some sort of a payoff here, otherwise I'd really be flabbergasted. The author hasn't done any substory thus far that seemed so random.

Thank you for the translation. Sad to hear the news that you will stop the work. But i’m glad for the opportunity you gave us.

F

Oh, god. I heard the news that you guys are stopping on translating this work of art. And as I looked up your site and saw that all the chapters were removed. But I'm still grateful for the work and effort you guys put into this for us readers. F.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for translating all that you did! :)

This is seriously my favorite series right now. I hope that someone else picks it up. (I'm learning Korean myself, but I'm not anywhere good enough to translate it yet. Maybe in a couple of years.)

@Solipsist Pretty sure the whole demon thing doesn't necessarily mean they are bad. I'm not sure exactly how it works either though. I think it varies depending on the tribes, since only some of them do human sacrifices, kidnapping, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread