Philosophy Thread

Dex-chan lover
A thread where we shot the shit about Philosophy and just discuss random bullshit.

Existentialism, ethics, metaphysics, political philosophy, epistemology, religious philosophy, aesthetics, etc. Whatever floats your boat.

Just be civil and remember: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead

Dex-chan lover
To kick this thing off so we have a point of reference, we'll start with a completely and utterly uncontroversial quote (paraphrase, technically) from a figure who has never been criticized for any reason and is universally beloved:

"God is dead, and we have killed him."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, The Gay Science (1882)

Nietzsche said this not in celebration, but mournfully, as he believed the world after the age of the Enlightenment and the growing secularism of society would lead to an identity crisis, as there would be a psychological and emotional void in which religion once served as a crutch for society that would be replaced by culture, art, and other movements. Do you agree with this assessment?

I think it means:

There are multiple gods, but human beings have "killed" them because they believe in a single god only so they selfishly "kill" off the other gods without a single thought except "they aren't the true god, *name of god they believe in* is the true one." And this goes on for eternity, people constantly "killing" off gods because they aren't the one they believe in, ignoring the fact that other people believe in different gods.

Dex-chan lover
It's ironic that Athesists use that quote not knowing thats exactly what Nietzsche was talking about. Humans began to keep living for themselves instead of in fear of any retribution or gods. Commandments and Rules were made for the many though not the all. When we lose reason to be moral and act only on our benefit. Who can ensure we keep safe or our benefits are held in interest? We can only keep being bloodthristier and scheme to protect ourselves from others.

The arms race is a good example. The blame game of coronavirus. The profit vs health in America. The younger generation who hate providng for the needs of the older generation.

P.s
Communism is theoretically the best political for everyone but everyone wants the best for themselves

Contributor
Gods are Frauds, and it is in peeling back the masks that we as humans are finally able to truly start taking some amount of personal responsibility.*
*Does not apply to all humans, regardless of where they fall on the secular/religious spectrum. The amount of responsibility accepted varies from person to person.

Group Leader
@Teddy
I don't think Nietzsche was referring to how the idea of God provides humans with a moral compass, rather, without God, people would have to face the fact that their lives do not inherently have purpose. Religion gave people a sense of purpose, and without it, there would be a gap in people's lives, so an "identity crisis."

Dex-chan lover
Here's a different thought. What is the limit of our species intelligence? Just like a beaver doesn't have the capability of pondering the meaning of its life, or invent a smartphone. What can we never do? what are we unable to think about? It must be something obvious and second nature to an alien species of higher intelligence. To them, we're ants in an ant hill, blissfully unaware of our true surroundings. And of course, I'm not talking about stuff like being unable to invent time travel, or discovering different dimensions. Those fantastical concepts are things we can imagine. We're capable of their basic understanding. But, you could argue, there is possibly an intellectual threshold that we have passed. All beings who pass this are capable of understanding and thinking about everything with enough time, and technological advancement. Because I thought of this to begin with, does that mean we have passed that threshold. Well, I believe that's an incredibly arrogant way of thinking. We're top dog on our mud ball, so we've gotten conceited. There's no space federation. No visiting aliens coming here, and saying hi. What would you do if you saw an ant hill? Would you think about talking to them and forming a human-ant alliance? No! You'd walk past, and possibly step on some of them. There must be creatures so intelligent, that we're not even like amoebas to them. Or maybe high intelligence isn't even a fraction of what's needed. What if we're missing something entirely different. Then, we wouldn't even amoebas to them. We'd be nothing but blades of grass.

We have to consider the time period in which Nietzche lived. Europe in that time was in constant change. From the old monarchies to new states ruled by the people. I think that its a valid point of view for this phrase, but not the only one.
We had the feudal system, imposed by the will of god, were the king, chosed by god, ruled everything. Then we have the church, instrument of god, who ruled over everything too. An lastly we had the people who were ruled because they werent chosed by god.
But in the last years, this structure was changing, monarchies were in decline, and new forms of govern and new religions were being funded. This would break the order created by god, in favor of a new order were the people govern themselves.

Group Leader
Suffer is step stone of life, you can't success without suffer, because after rain comes sunshine.

Life without suffering is just a dream that help pursue our purpose with life. So keep dreaming dude.

Illya smile might be fake, but she does know her heart can't lied to her own little sister Silvia.

P.S
Being M sometimes can crush our soul.

Who flicks the first piece of the domino?
Why in the first place did he flicks it?

Did the one who arranges the pieces are the same person as the flicker?
Where did he got the pieces in the first place?
Who told him to do so?

Did he bored?
Did he just want to flex his might?

Will he end it if he is satisfied?
And what will come after that?

Sorry, I just want to write something

Contributor
@LemmeLix
Sometimes we do things simply because the opportunity presents itself to us.
Sometimes we do things simply to be able to shout, "I was the first!"
Sometimes we do things simply because we wish to deny others the opportunity, even if it does not benefit us to do so.

It is not worth the effort to dig too deeply for answers which we do not care about.
Of course, the irony is that sometimes, the very answers we dismiss out of hand might change our entire perspective, maybe ever reverse our course of action.

In the end, when one action is undertaken and moment passes, regardless of whether or not the outcome is visible or even the desired one, we move on, searching for another.

Dex-chan lover
If Ben 10 can transform into aliens, and Saiyans are aliens, can Ben 10 transform into Saiyans?

Contributor
@strider_01
Is general knowledge of alien physiology/powers/limitations a requirement for Ben 10?
Does the alien race have to actually exist in the Ben 10 universe, or can he transform into in-universe fictional races as well?

Dex-chan lover
let's look at it the other way. if God, as one exist, says "Humanity is dead, and I killed them", what would you think?

Pretty sure the Omnitrix (Ben's tool to transform into aliens) only have data for aliens it have store/encouter, so unless they met a Saiyan and somehow acquire their data, no.

Why there is a Ben 10 discussion on a philosophy thread??!!
I love the Internet.

Oh hey, a philosophical-ish topic : what makes a "hot" fanfic? "action" scenes, or character's connections/bonds, or something eles?

@krossite I agree. Ben can only transform into aliens that are in a sense "unlocked" for transformation. I was a huge fan of the series so i know a lot about it. Such as the aliens that are stored cross the 10,000 mark and Ben just has to unlock them to transform into them. And as for what you asked above i believe it is a combination of everything. The combination of storytelling, interactions b/w characters, thier bonds accompanied by various ups and downs and how they grow up from them.

Users who are viewing this thread