Question about using images and raws of a scanlation

Hi everyone,

I have been a long time reader of mangadex, but new to the scanlation scene. I have read the site rules thoroughly and would like to clarify something...

According to rule 3.3.1, we need to select all the groups that worked on a scanlation when uploading a chapter. If I plan to use the translated script and images of an existing scanlation (English) in order to create a new scanlation in another language (Vietnamese), as allowed by rule 1.3.4, do I need to add the group that worked on the English scanlation when I'm uploading my Vietnamese version to mangadex?

Thanks all for your help!

Group Leader
You mean you're translating from English to Vietnamese right?

No you don't have to add them but it'd be polite of you to ask their permission to use their pages because they may have done work cleaning or redrawing. It's also better since they could provide you with the original redraws/cleans and make the world easier for you. You don't have to though since it's not their manga anyways.

Seen plenty of French and Spanish groups do it and never add the English group. Even got asked before myself but was never added.

thanks for the comment!

yeah i’m translating English to Vietnamese. there is an official english release so i’ll do my best to get the raws first (people recommended various sources, like hekoneko(?)) but in case i can’t acquire the raws then gotta opt for the scanlated english version.

Contributor
Yes, what's usually done is asking for either the .psd or the raw images politely and then add them in the credits page as thanks, but tagging groups involved means they collaborating for a single chapter. For instance, you're an editor and ask help to another's group translator and PR/QC. For the raws, you can either purchase them and rip them (they're tutorials to do that in here), use the X/Pixiv chapters if any or use Torrent to get them, unless you borrow them.

Users who are viewing this thread