Rabukome Manga ni Haitte Shimatta no de, Oshi no Make Heroine wo Zenryoku de Shiawase ni suru - Ch. 7.2

Dex-chan lover
While Fujise does look hot in S clothes, this reveal was a complete asspull, wasn't it?
Not realy, it's quite common for story like this to have a character with some hidden side, the aim is to create a gap moe, and it actualy work. Here you have a small and cute girl that is also super sadist, many people will love it because a lot of people love the "small and cute girl" archetype, and the gap it create with the super sadist make her more "attractive" to some.

Dex-chan lover
Not realy, it's quite common for story like this to have a character with some hidden side, the aim is to create a gap moe, and it actualy work. Here you have a small and cute girl that is also super sadist, many people will love it because a lot of people love the "small and cute girl" archetype, and the gap it create with the super sadist make her more "attractive" to some.
That's not quite the point I was addressing: I don't question why the author made such a character. The thing is that doing so makes no sense with what had been established about her; not a single goddamned thing about it was foreshadowed.
That's why it seems the author pulled it out of his ass, which is probably the case. He just wanted an excuse -or was instructed by his editor- to draw a dominatrix costume on a completely unrelated manga, so he did.

That's not quite the point I was addressing: I don't question why the author made such a character. The thing is that doing so makes no sense with what had been established about her; not a single goddamned thing about it was foreshadowed.
That's why it seems the author pulled it out of his ass, which is probably the case. He just wanted an excuse -or was instructed by his editor- to draw a dominatrix costume on a completely unrelated manga, so he did.
Except if you read the original novel, the narration is the same. This is just using visual language to convey a message. A lot of web novels spend so much time in narration, and you can't just put a wall of text in a manga, a visual medium. This is also practicing "show, don't tell".

Dex-chan lover
This is also practicing "show, don't tell".
No it's not. It's very clearly showing and telling. There's a picture of her and he's telling us about it.

That's not getting into how "show, don't tell," is generally an advice for writing, not for visual media. It's also not a very good advice unless you specify what you mean by it, since you're going to end up doing more telling than showing any way you do it. Finally, it's using the wrong words, since what it's really talking about is using explicit versus implicit descriptions of things as you never actually "show" anything in writing. /rant

Dex-chan lover
Why would everything need to be foreshadowed? You make no sense here.

When an author tell us that a character love icecream, he cant do it if he didn't make a previous chapter hinting that said character love icecream?
The author just added a detail about a character by using the knowledge that MC have. How do you want this to be done better? Have author spend an entire chapter to tell us something that could be done in a few panel?

Dex-chan lover
Why would everything need to be foreshadowed? You make no sense here.

When an author tell us that a character love icecream, he cant do it if he didn't make a previous chapter hinting that said character love icecream?
The author just added a detail about a character by using the knowledge that MC have. How do you want this to be done better? Have author spend an entire chapter to tell us something that could be done in a few panel?
One of two:

1) she plays the same sort of prank in any occasion before the fan service illustration, to establish she has a mischievous side and is not just the "cute, pure and sweet girl" the series goes to pains to establish her as;

2) take out the goddamned fan service illustration and leave it to extras, where it makes more sense;

Double-page supporter
Once again I reaffirm my view that:

Wholesome bishoujo Tojoin-sama > degen mid girl.

Sei-chan cute af too. The MC of this world is indeed low IQ. Dude went 0 for two on picking the best girls. Our MC getting a W.

Users who are viewing this thread