Ran and the Gray World

Dex-chan lover
Someone please upload Irie Aki's new manga on the site too

Dex-chan lover
This is such an amazing masterpiece. The inventiveness, the mythic feel, the art, the art, the comedy, did I mention the art? The characterization is good enough that if it were otherwise just a pretty good manga I'd be mentioning that as a strength, but here the other facets just blow the doors off so hard that you just sort of take it for granted.

This will always be near the top of my list. One of my favorites, I wish I could forget it and read it again.

Ada

@Purplelibraryguy nice to see you on this website- I totally agree with you on your opinion. I love this manga, there is something magical about it. Glad the mangaka has started on a new project.

Overall it was an interesting story, though it felt extremely rushed in a lot of places. Not really a fan of Ran, who is massively overpowered and taught no self control or awareness until after she nearly destroys everything. Her parents are pretty careless when it comes to raising their kids...

Outarou is an odd character to me - he’s wealthy and spoiled, arrogant, horrible to women...but his background isn’t revealed and it’s not clear why he’s such a jerk. His mom being strict? Honestly I didn’t feel his character added to the story, and then he was sort of redeemed, but not in a way that felt genuine.

Very good art, detailed and characterful both, some of the illustrations like the thread mid-stitch when Ran is knitting near the end really kind of awed me.

When I first read through the climax I really disliked the story structure, with the airy sketching out of the initial relationships with disconnected vignettes before heading into a more conventional blow-by-blow account of the climactic action but the length of the epilogue so that the climax is properly a middle turning point in the story and not the ending, makes it work a lot better in retrospect.

Honestly, I was more interested in Jin and Sango than Ran, even though she's the MC.

I love the art and the storyline was pretty good, I just couldn't get 100% behind Ran. You can't excuse her saying she's a kid because she has Hibi right next to her as an example. Also, that guy, he was such a creep and pedo, even if not knowingly, and the fact that no one comments on it other than the brother, and he doesn't mention it to others is really frustrating too. That guy never really changed, he was only nice to Ran cause he liked her and the apologies was because he was dying, I don't really buy it that he really changed in the end.

Like others said, some places felt somewhat rushed or weren't very well explained, but for me it didn't affect much the storyline so it was fine for me. Loved the ending and how Ran matured in the end, but it's really frustrating having to remember how and why she matured in the first place.

Overall I guess it was really good, it's just one of those mangas where you love everyone but the MC.

Dex-chan lover
It's weird. The glasses guy creeps me out a lot. Like the guy below me says, it is frustrating that only the brother seems to care about a grown ass man is going after his sister, who is like 7 to 10 years old. Chapter 22 seems like the pages are out of older, not sure if that's how it is suppose to be or not. 8/10

Users who are viewing this thread