Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl - Ch. 9

Group Leader
Hello all, time for a small translation note!

So on page 9, there is a wordplay that very much gets lost in translation
sUkVgv7.png

Here in the first bubble, Sakuta asks Shouko if her body is doing okay (大丈夫/daijoubu). This is made up of the kanji 大 (big/very) and 丈夫 (healthy). She then replies "体は大いに丈夫です", which decomposes this back and essentially means "My body is very much healthy, to which Sakuta replies that he wasn't looking for a joke answer. Additionally, the Kanji 大 is read differently here, with "dai" in the first instance (karata wa daijoubu nawake?), and "oo" (karata wa ooini joubu desu) in the second.

There's realistically no way we could carry that wordplay over in any way. The official TL of this novel went with "My body is in tip-top shape", to which Sakuta simply replies that he's not joking around.
We tried going with something a bit more clever and that tries to carry the same humor rather than just flatly translating it, and so we went with the following:
wYqOmGG.png

Japanese is hard :nyoron:

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Shouko made 1 tiny mistake with her plan on keeping Sakuta away from the scene...She didn't think he'd be the one to figure it out that he'd died.

Sakuta is WAY smarter than he seems and the LNs prove this by having Koga and Futaba both remarking that he knows how to read the room, how to read between the lines but actively chooses not to, just to be an asshole when it's needed. My MC fr

Users who are viewing this thread