[Reader] Random Refreshes in iOS/iPadOS Safari Tab Groups

Context: The Safari browser has a feature called 'Tab Groups', allowing groups of tabs to be synched across different devices via the user's iCloud account.

Problem: When the reader is opened in a tab group, the webpage will refresh seemingly at random, interrupting the user. This refresh occurs relatively quickly and frequently--usually in under 30 seconds--taking the user back to the first page of the chapter.

Frequency: This behavior does not occur in the macOS version of Safari tab groups--only in iOS and iPadOS. This behavior does not occur for other site pages--only the reader. It occurs regardless of whether the chapter is in Long Strip mode or in a single page mode. It occurs for all manga chapters.

Notes: My best inkling is that this issue is a result of the way MangaDex is handling the page request from mobile Safari. I am fairly confident this is not a synching issue specific to my iCloud account, as I have reproduced it on other devices and accounts. I have also not encountered similar page refresh behavior on the main site nor on other websites.

I think this issue has been resolved as of iOS 17.

Never mind, spoke too soon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread