Rebuild World - Vol. 9 Ch. 42

Dex-chan lover
@blkarcher77 You continuing this right? I prefer your TL honestly, and I will bet trap scans will not release the next chapter to mangadex but instead keep it on their site like with all their other series (like SouzouRenkinjitsu)

Dex-chan lover
wait he catch the thief here?
this mean they scrapped the assassination motive then.

well, its probably going to take 1 or 2 year before we get there anyway.

Dex-chan lover
wait he catch the thief here?
this mean they scrapped the assassination motive then.

well, its probably going to take 1 or 2 year before we get there anyway.
Its following the LN not the WN, it was changed between those.

Dex-chan lover
I did like this part because it shows Akira is different then most prot. He and Sheryl are both heavily traumatized by their experience at such a young age which effects their decision making. He just doesn't take shit from anybody because he's afraid he will get perceived as weak again which would result in people messing with him. Don't forget that Akira gets target by other thiefs in the WN because he considered an easy mark after this happened. So that's the reason Akira goes to the extreme's he does.
Akira becomes a target for other thieves because of Viola.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for picking up the series, but it's kinda sad to see the big drop in translation quality.

I did like this part because it shows Akira is different then most prot. He and Sheryl are both heavily traumatized by their experience at such a young age which effects their decision making. He just doesn't take shit from anybody because he's afraid he will get perceived as weak again which would result in people messing with him. Don't forget that Akira gets target by other thiefs in the WN because he considered an easy mark after this happened. So that's the reason Akira goes to the extreme's he does.
I feel the same way, the WN did an excellent job explaining why he went to such extremes to get his revenge. Honestly speaking, I felt that the ending was super satisfying and it was actually worth the frustration of getting pickpocketed; it really developed his character.

Short explanation of WN events that made it so good for the curious (Warning: wall of text + possible spoilers):
Akira is pickpocketed by the girl, Argo, and is stopped by Katsuya and gang. Katsuya steps in to protect her and Akira is forced back due to the difference in numbers. He is extremely frustrated with himself, because getting pickpocketed by some nobody from the slums is the very representation of what he's been trying to avoid by training like madman: the weakness of his past self. Not only that, he just came back from a successful job, rewarded by the city, thinking that he's getting stronger and moving on from his weak self of the past, and then the pickpocketing happens and he absolutely flips out. Alpha talks to him about it, then Akira realizes his reaction was a little overboard. So he compromises by promising Alpha that he won't actively search for Argo. Instead, he informs Sheryl's gang and lets them find Argo for him. If they do find her, he will off her then. If not, he won't do anything.

Scene cut to when Argo is trying to join the gang. Her friend in the gang, the one Argo was giving the 100k aurums to in the manga, gets word of Akira looking for a pickpocket that stole his money. She quickly realizes that Akira is looking for Argo and tells her to leave quickly after admonishing her for doing something so reckless. Argo escapes and runs to Katsuya for protection, who attempts to have her inducted into Drankam. They refuse because they think it's a terrible investment, and Argo ends up living in some building outside of the Drankam complex. As stated above, after Akira is pickpocketed, rumors of an easy hunter mark spreads in the slums and Akira is constantly plagued by pickpockets, and he incapacitates all of them easily. But these events only make him much angrier and resentful, ensuring that he will never forget his promise.

Both Sheryl and Argo are eventually kidnapped by a slum gang hoping to use the both of them to threaten Katsuya and Akira. Naturally, the both of them set out to save them, and they do end up meeting each other due to the machinations of a lady who might be introduced later in the story. I say might because she was in the WN, but may have been removed from the LN. There's a heartwarming scene of them working together to fight their way through the gang compound, until Akira comes across Argo. Remembering his promise from before, he ends up killing her in front of Katsuya, forever cementing their relationship as irreconcilable enemies. Akira finally cuts off one of the links to his weak self of the past, but it's not over yet.

Scene cut to Katsuya and Akira confrontation. A bunch of irrelevant events happen, and Katsuya and Akira eventually meet each other in the field. After Akira incapacitates Katsuya's Drankam team, they end up in a sword fight in the Mist, which inhibits Akira's connection with Alpha. Lacking her support, Akira is forced to rely completely on his training and experience to duel Katsuya. He utilizes everything, even that slow-mode skill we saw a few chapters ago, and eventually bisects Katsuya from head to toe. This is important because this is the very first time he fought against an overwhelming enemy force without Alpha's help, representing his true first step towards being a strong hunter. It also represents him finally cutting the last link to his weak self, because previously he was never able to fight Katsuya due to the difference in numbers and Akira's lack of confidence. Naturally, his transition into a strong hunter who doesn't need Alpha's help all the time is marked by a train ride to a city closer to the Frontlines, his ultimate objective.
I am looking forward to seeing how they will develop Akira according to LN, but hoping it will turn out just as satisfying.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Kind of wished they followed the WN, the way it was resolved was much more satisfying.
Can't say I agree myself. I thought it dragged on for way too long and while the fights were cool, particularly the final one, it just got ridiculous.

Dex-chan lover
Short explanation of WN events that made it so good for the curious (Warning: wall of text + possible spoilers):

Yeah, before killing the thief, he had already participated in the hunt for the bounty monster boss and single-handedly killed his mini-copy. He's made hundreds of millions. And still goes to great lengths to kill the wretched pickpocket girl who was lucky enough to steal 100k from him.
In doing so, he also needs to get Sheryl out of the danger zone. What did he do? Paid another hunter 50 million (!) to get Cheryl out, so he could find and kill the pickpocket in the area. It's so dumb. It's like chasing an insect and losing five hundred times more than before.
This girl isn't even a villain. Before he forgave quietly when Shiori tried to kill him, but here he's offended by a pickpocket? That's too petty for the MC.
Also there was no suggestion of such a development. On the contrary, there was information that she wanted to quit stealing and join Sheryl's "good" gang. So you're already subconsciously expecting her to redeem herself somehow by working for Sheryl after the quarrel.
All this development and excuse in the web novel is very weak. The protagonist even tells this thief's friend taking her to a new town that he can't even explain why he did it. God, it's so stupid.

Dex-chan lover

Yeah, before killing the thief, he had already participated in the hunt for the bounty monster boss and single-handedly killed his mini-copy. He's made hundreds of millions. And still goes to great lengths to kill the wretched pickpocket girl who was lucky enough to steal 100k from him.
In doing so, he also needs to get Sheryl out of the danger zone. What did he do? Paid another hunter 50 million (!) to get Cheryl out, so he could find and kill the pickpocket in the area. It's so dumb. It's like chasing an insect and losing five hundred times more than before.
This girl isn't even a villain. Before he forgave quietly when Shiori tried to kill him, but here he's offended by a pickpocket? That's too petty for the MC.
Also there was no suggestion of such a development. On the contrary, there was information that she wanted to quit stealing and join Sheryl's "good" gang. So you're already subconsciously expecting her to redeem herself somehow by working for Sheryl after the quarrel.
All this development and excuse in the web novel is very weak. The protagonist even tells this thief's friend taking her to a new town that he can't even explain why he did it. God, it's so stupid.
Viola pushed the proverbial snowball down the hill, but there wouldn’t be a snowball if it wasn’t due to the pickpocket (and subsequent incident) in the first place.

I agree that arc is kind of edgy, but at the same time shows the frailties, immaturity, and complexes that the MC has. And, how he learned something from it considering his own emotional & mental immaturity.

He considered the girl weak and if someone weak could mess with him in public, he was afraid that others will see him as weak and a target again in a dog eat dog world.
Shiori is in no way weak, the MC recognize that, and it also didn’t happen in public. Different scenario.

Anyway, the fact that at the end he (and us the readers) was able to see his own stupidity was a good character development and makes him more human IMO.
That said I can see how an MC hellbent trying to off a weak girl because his own insecurities might not be the most popular arc to publish.

Dex-chan lover
Well there it is, the junction point where LN trails off from the WN.
Not as balls to the wall crazy as I'd want it to, but it'll do.

Before reading the rest of the WN, my immediate reaction was the same as yours. I thought Akira was being super petty about some minor thief on the streets when he can just make that 100k back so easily in a single mission. But this goes deeper than just money.

Shiori is a different case because he was paid premium by the city to keep the matter about the relic thieves hush hush, which also includes the fight between the two. He was properly compensated for his troubles, and kicking up a huge fuss would not only involve the city's enforcement squad, but also the company behind Shiori. Not to mention on a fundamental level, he understood her reason for fighting him, because it was for the sake of her young charge.

On the other hand, Argo/Lucia is a pickpocket lowlife whose sole existence proves his weakness. People will think that he is weak, and assume he is an easy mark for pickpocketing (demonstrated later in the WN). Akira, in this sense, cares much more about his rep as a strong hunter than some side change he can make back easily. It really isn't about the money, it's about his reputation and the reminder of his past self. His motivation for becoming a hunter is so that no one will ever step on him again, that he can control everything on his own terms and not be lead around because he is too weak.

As for your last paragraph, I'm not sure what you mean. I guess in the manga/LN the author seems to want to redeem the thief in some way, but in the WN the author had zero intention of doing so. She was meant to be character development fodder, and there was no redemption arc for her.

Can't say I agree myself. I thought it dragged on for way too long and while the fights were cool, particularly the final one, it just got ridiculous.
I do agree with you, some parts dragged on way too long. I only appreciated the thief arc in its entirety, cause it was pretty cool character development. But the journey to get there was a little dull and stretched out. WN is kind of like the author's testing grounds in a sense, and it usually isn't as polished as LN/manga is + might have a completely different plot. So I understand, but at the same time it's also painful to read through.

Users who are viewing this thread