Recently Added seemingly got broken [Intended behaviour]

Dex-chan lover
(Edit: I just saw the support forum and realize this might better go there, this is just what I was led to via a random link I saw on the discord. But I don't think I can move it myself + don't want to duplicate it, but feel free to close this or move it or whatever if it being here's bad)

It seems like the Recently Added section on the side got broken when the Advanced Search was updated.

Previously, it showed all new entries in the DB, regardless of whether they had chapters or not, which made it useful to check what new things were coming in + to maybe keep an eye on/bookmark.

Now though, it obeys the user's language filter, only showing the entries which are both new, and have chapters in that language. If you have no language filter, it shows all entries regardless of chapter language, but it's unable to show any entries without chapters (maybe because they don't fit any languages?)

I know that the entries are still there, because you can access them if you go into Advanced Search and order by recent additions, like the most recent entry as of this post:
https://mangadex.org/title/91b73ac4-05ea-4ab0-8b36-f29281415f90/keeping-words-sisters-chouchoutrian
which shows up in the recents for Advanced Search, but can't be seen in Recently Added anymore.

Is this a bug or some setting I managed to accidentally set somehow? I noticed this a few days ago, when the speed of new entries being added suddenly + drastically decreased, but I don't think I set anything specific to make it happen.

(And to word this more as a suggestion I guess: If this isn't a bug, it'd be nice to have it working the old way again)

I saw this thread which seems like it was also talking about it:
https://forums.mangadex.org/threads/recently-added-bug.1534913/
but it seems like it might've misunderstood/confused the issue a bit so I'm just making a new topic here.

Last edited:
Solution
Showing new titles without chapters on the front page is deceptive; the average user is looking for chapters to read, not an empty series page to bookmark. This change guarantees readable chapters in your language when you select a series, which is much more intuitive. If you specifically want to find empty series pages for whatever reason, you can do it via advanced search, but it doesn't deserve a front page feature.

https://mangadex.org/titles?page=1&order=createdAt.desc

Setting the search to "Recently added" and not touching anything else will replicate the prior behaviour. It's currently full of random titles from the 80s with no chapters and no hopes of ever getting any, which proves my point.
File Attacher
Staff
Super Moderator
Unfortunately, as much as i liked being able to see All titles in at least the Recently Added page, they've decided to apply the same behaviour there as the one on the homepage

Announcement On Discord: ->

• The dedicated page for recently updated titles no longer uses different filters than the one in the homepage.

As such the only way of seeing them will be through the Adv Search, unless you decide to make a cursed userscript like me to re-enable it (though mostly did it because the Adv Search was broken and didn't respect the has translated chapters option and put it in the url anyway for a few days)

Dex-chan lover
Oh, guess I missed that somehow, maybe just checked the "Changed" rather than "Fixed".

Kinda disappointing then, since there's a bunch of series which will never (realistically) show up in Recently Added then, because they get added to the database + then only have a chapter added a month or so later, by which point they'd show up in the search but their addition time would probably have them only showing up on Page 5 or something.

If this isn't a bug, then I guess this is a suggestion to let people get back the old functionality, since it's easier than going through + doing an advanced search whenever I wanna check.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
Showing new titles without chapters on the front page is deceptive; the average user is looking for chapters to read, not an empty series page to bookmark. This change guarantees readable chapters in your language when you select a series, which is much more intuitive. If you specifically want to find empty series pages for whatever reason, you can do it via advanced search, but it doesn't deserve a front page feature.

Setting the search to "Recently added" and not touching anything else will replicate the prior behaviour. It's currently full of random titles from the 80s with no chapters and no hopes of ever getting any, which proves my point.

Solution
Contributor

I totally get MD's point, but now when a title is added very few people will look for it without the Latest Added shortcut...

Before a lot of people where pre-following title because they looked interesting, now almost every newly added titles have 0 followers.

Also, people won't really go there to look for good potential pickup, or at least a lot less people...

Maybe adding a new tab would be a good solution...I don't really know because I also understand the utility of the new Latest Added function! New titles which were picked up will have better visibility, and that's very commendable!

Users who are viewing this thread