Record of Ragnarok - Vol. 1 Ch. 2 - The Strongest God Vs The Strongest Human

@Kanami-chan
That's a fair point. My intent wasn't to reject your criticism, and I have no issue with using the Chinese names in future, but I just don't see much point in making those changes. We included the Chinese versions as TL notes in the release itself, and a quick Google of the Japanese names will provide either Ikkitousen or Koihime Musou pages for each of their equivalents anyway.

As for localization in general, I don't think you can really use a black/white standard. Geir uses Hild-neesama on a number of occasions, and I just think that when the honorific is longer than the name itself it looks silly. As it is, 'Sister' isn't too bad of a localization anyway imo since you could potentially see someone using it to address someone of higher stature in that way. I'm not saying that my localization is perfect, but it makes sense to me as an amateur TL doing it as a hobby.

Group Leader
@WeaWeab the point is not for the readers to be aware that he's Lu Bu, but it's more eye-pleasing and convenient for the readers if they see the text "Lu Bu" due to familiarity with his authentic name (and other Chinese legends too). Don't make the readers think twice every time they see the localized name. "Zhang? who is Zhang? Oh right, it's China's first emperor, Qin Shi Huang."
and there will be another Chinese fighter in the future with probably bunch of his supporters as spectators, which are also famous Chinese legends that readers are familiar with.

@Kanami-chan
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ultimately, that's just your opinion on scanlation as a whole. As far as I'm concerned, as long as the reader knows who the character is and/or can readily look it up and find out for themselves, then my job as a TL is done. Realistically, a little bit of trivia on the variant names for famous historical/mythological figures never hurt anyone, and I'm sure that the readers are quite capable of looking up the names anyway, which could in itself inspire the further adoption of knowledge.

Sure, you could call me lazy for not researching the differences between the different nomenclature of famous figures, but I'm also not a history textbook. I only got halfway through the first volume of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

@Kanami-Chan and everyone else really, remember that @WeaWeab, @IAmInept and myself released this chapter less than a day after the first chapter was released, so understandably we weren't able to make it completely perfect. I do understand your point but as i see it, the most important thing for now is we that keep everything consistant from chapter to chapter and only use one name or the other. As long as we keep the names as they are now and don't change it I don't see any problem.

But, for those who do care about the actual names and the history around these characters we're most likely going to include some kind of info page at the end of next chapter to clear up misunderstandings and maybe some can learn a thing or two at the same time. And of course we'll still include other/original version of the names as a TL note when needed.

Cheers and look forward to the next chapter.

why no zhao zhi long
in my opinion , shu guo finest warrior is zhao zhi long who single handedly went into 曹操 camp and came out alive

Contributor
Oh come on japan!, I have to ask why Lu Bu? Aren't there other better candidates for Strongest Man title? Like Spartacus, Leonidas, Attila, Arminius, Pyrrhus of Epirus, Genghis Khan, Alexander the Great or Eric Bloodaxe???

Man, I was so confused while going through first, Is that Liu Bei? Is that Chen Gong? . Googled the names and it showed some ikkitousen girls instead and got even more confused. Still, doesn't really matters, I'm glad this is being translated.

Contributor
As a Dynasty warriors fan since the 3, i'm happy to see Lu-bu, and Lu-bei, Zhang-fei + Guan yu.

How did Guan Yu got skipped???

-EDIT-
Nevermind, he was deified and is basically a God of War, so if ascended humans counts as Gods, then he's definitely on the other side.... Would have been better match up though... Like for a later match, and they know that Guan Yu's gonna fight. Who better match up to him than Lu Bu.

-EDIT 2-

I am dumb as fuck and didn't read until he popped. Goddamn it.

@IAmInept
Liu Bei is still Ryubi Gentoku and Zhang Fei is still Chouhi Entoku.
Also, Chen Gong is still Chinkyuu Koudai.
BRUH

Users who are viewing this thread