Record of Ragnarok - Vol. 10 Ch. 39 - Forbidden Move (LR)

Group Leader
the authors just want anyone from japan win pffft really
siva lose isnt okay

Double-page supporter
about time this fussy bitch started actually having fun. I still think Shiva's gonna win but I like Raiden more now.

Fed-Kun's army
@twinklecake
Because weight class is a very easy way to gain an advantage compared to building up skill (weeks vs. years) and if you have the perseverance and a good diet and regimen, the end result comes down to little more than genetics.
You make it sound like you don't already need to hit reasonable genetic lottery to even be worth competing with in the first place. I don't think you see many paraplegics in Boxing for example.

Raiden is gonna lose, and that's not okay. Oh well, maybe he's gonna win, cuz I thought Hercules was gonna win, maybe it will be the same now

@twinklecake A lot of what you say is true and I agree but it is not as simple as that. If two people have similar skill sets then the heavier one would almost certainly win. But when the skill sets are very different, then there are a lot of other variables that comes into play, although weight is still a definite advantage.

For example, in MMA when the Gracies first made their appearance, they were dominating much bigger guys who are talented but lack experience in their type of grappling. Even among two strikers, size is not everything as you can see in the Cro-Cop vs. Bob Sapp match, or even in boxing when Roy Jones stepped up to heavyweight and beated John Ruiz for his belt.

I believe Mike Tyson would have a tremendous advantage over Bruce Lee as well, but who knows if a kick to the knees to someone who never learn to defend it would do to them. Or like a great boxer like James Toney who was like a fish out of water when Randy Couture took him to the mats in an MMA fight.

If a smaller guy knows how to throw a proper punch, it is unlikely he would hurt his hand punching a bigger guy in the chest. Most people would hurt their wrist or jam their fingers from throwing an improper punch instead.

Dex-chan lover
@deken A bit pedantic with the punch thing since it was pretty obviously not meant literally, but you're on point with the examples I do recognize. Still, people get that leverage is a thing by now, so unless you're gonna have a second upheaval like the advent of BJJ I'd say it'd still be really dumb to do away with weight classes in any given sport where it is at all relevant.

Also, sumo is still on par with aikido at best (i.e. garbage tier) which I think this discussion was originally meant to be about, but I'm not quite sure anymore.

@AraraDeTerno

I don't really understand this. Can't a good person still like having sex? It's not as if being good is synonymous with your lust as long as you don't abuse the opposite sex to get off. It's actually good that he's this type of person because the trope of "I'm a sex addict and I'm bad" wears on you from time to time. He was a Ozeki for 20 years, Sumo is highly regarded in Japan, and they get women. It actually depicts what a person of high ranking probably gets: sex, money, and fame. They're regarded a super stars.

Seeing as how the author already pulled the "just barely won" with Zeus, I'm interested to see how he's going to play out this fight. That is of course assuming Raiden is going to lose.

Users who are viewing this thread