Record of Ragnarok - Vol. 10 Ch. 39 - Forbidden Move (LR)

Fed-Kun's army
@Davy0 It's not "a good person can't have sex", of course they can, that's why I mentioned neither chacaterization is bad. It's just nothing in any chapter past that one, including the ones showing his past, matches with the characterization shown in his debut. He first appeared as a good man, symbolized by his interaction with the valkyrie, but also one that is selfish and full of desire, by means of his personality and even his title. Yet, nothing in any chapter after that contributes to that characterization, focusing on being "good" and only the "good", nothing of the "selfish" side, in contrary, his character is then built around being childish and most importantly selfless.

He was good in both characterizations, but they're still very different, to a point I feel like the author changed where they were going with him, making this feel very off, even if it's not necessarily bad writing.

JJM

@spiderbait

You're not wrong that every god is nerfed. But I do happen to know about every god in this series after doing research and comparatively, Shiva was and would be considered nerfed the most. On a good day, Thor and other gods will be powerful but Shiva is more powerful all the time in real-life mythology. Just mentioning that Shiva is the most nerfed character in terms of extent/power of destruction in this manga is all I was doing.

@AraraDeTerno

I think it was showcasing more of his pride than his lack of tact as a person. A Yokozuna in Japan is to be respected, especially in those old days, so they usually carry a certain pride in their title. It wasn't supposed to be focused on him being "good", it was more focused on his reasoning. The same reasoning can be stated as why, in the old days, a kid would go to the army and become a soldier for war, it was paved in the necessity of good intentions. In his intentions, he wished to get money for his village, not protect the world. He had/has a soft spot for his village, you don't see him actively helping those he doesn't know (unless those people at the cliffs were from another village entirely). He was using his strength to protect his village and that made him good, or so I think that's what the author was trying to showcase. Often, that's how many heroes start, they wish to protect what they know most of all. He is "selfish" and "full of desire", but he did what he needed to, to improve the conditions of his village and that was considered a "good deed". Our relation of good, may not meet the standards of the authors relation. All I know is that, he wasn't raping those women, and that in itself is good enough to showcase he wasn't under evil objectives, he was just a prideful "hero".

We only got a short glimpse of what he did within his 20 year stint of Sumo. The objective was to tell the story from his comrades perspective, more than himself, and they see him as a "hero" because of their standards. Notice how it often stated "he" did something rather than "I".

Those who say the author are too nationalistic are just plain stupid. they act as if they have seen a Japanese representative hero win the match up to 6 times in this manga, so ridiculous.

Again? I mean I'm not angry, just disappointed. At least Jack won, but come on. We've still got that duo from Japan, will they win too? Whatabout Tesla? All the other interesting characters?

Users who are viewing this thread