Ri-chan - Vol. 1 Ch. 156

Dex-chan lover
I get this shows her getting over things, but I do find it a little annoying that a character's fashion sense is usually used as the growth method. Like "Oh I was punk, but then I stopped being depressed"... What if I liked that punk look, eh? :pout:
I get ya. It is used far too much in anime/manga but this is a bit different. She changed to blonde after her life too a downward spiral and returning to her old hairstyle seemed like an effective way to show she's back to the life she wanted. I think this was a good use of the trope. "Old hair, older more mature me"

Dex-chan lover
He fixed her, he really did
26c.jpg

Double-page supporter
he fixed here :win: , i really thought i was in a flashback chapter until i saw the bottom panel

Double-page supporter
she looks great and all but nglso unusual without the pudding hair

Dex-chan lover
If anyone in her recent genetic history had black hair, then it's possible for her to get it too. One of her grandparents may have had black hair and she just so happened to inherit it.
Black hair is a dominant trait, so having a grandparent with dark hair cannot explain a dark-haired child of two light-haired parents.

Contributor
I had to do a double take, for a moment there I thought I was seeing a flashback from Riri's high school days.

This day marks the end of her rebellion against her crappy life, because it's crappy no more.

I like both the dyed style and the twintails of her youth, but hear me out: how about black and untied?
Well, I'm sure I'll see that the next time she wakes up in bed with Tatsumi, yeah?

Dex-chan lover
Black hair is a dominant trait, so having a grandparent with dark hair cannot explain a dark-haired child of two light-haired parents.
That's not how genetics work. It's an oversimplification to say because a trait is "dominant" it therefore will 100% be identifiable in offspring. Firstly, there are multiple types of variations of the same allele, which can result in different outputs in children. Additionally, combinations of different genes can also result in a different appearance even after several generations. It's entirely possible for parents with black hair to have a blonde child or vice versa. If her grandparents had black hair, there is a chance they had an unexpressed gene for blonde/brown hair which resulted in her mother and father having blonde/brown hair. And when her parents had a child, the genes for black hair still existed in their bodies, and so their child just so happened to end up with black hair. Genetics is a lot more complicated than "x trait is dominant so it should appear in the child".

Dex-chan lover
It's an oversimplification to say because a trait is "dominant" it therefore will 100% be identifiable in offspring.
No one said that.
It's entirely possible for parents with black hair to have a blonde child
That's not a counter-example. (In a different comment, I noted that neither my brother nor I have black hair, though both our parents did.)
vice versa
And, yes, that much is possible, and not merely by the means that you suggest, but in all cases unlikely.
If her grandparents had black hair,
Don't gaslight. I wrote
a grandparent
in response to your writing
One of her grandparents
Now you're giving her multiple grandparents with the trait.
If her grandparents had black hair, there is a chance they had an unexpressed gene for blonde/brown hair which resulted in her mother and father having blonde/brown hair. And when her parents had a child, the genes for black hair still existed in their bodies, and so their child just so happened to end up with black hair.
Again, unexpressed genes for black hair are quite unlikely.
Genetics is a lot more complicated than "x trait is dominant so it should appear in the child".
The word “should” is not synonymous with “must”.

Users who are viewing this thread