Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumei shitemita - Vol. 4 Ch. 20 - Proof 20: STEM students fell in love, so they investigated into love hormones.

Thank you very much for this update. I've been missing these dorks.

About that autism thing... A lot of autistic people are a mess of social anxieties due to not being able to read social cues as well as neurotypical people. Oxytocin relieves this and hence helps socializing. It's less of a treatment and more of a "Here, have these rose-tinted glasses" kind of deal. Our brains are still as different as they were before, they are just being tricked into enjoying something that was previously very much not enjoyed. Maybe even feared.

@Wildfire_desu Yes. It's kind of easier to use that sometimes instead of endless "autistic this, normal that" and so on. Also it's less loaded because using "normal" implies that we are not when we are just different. That is an important difference because you are autistic for life and there is no cure. Not even a good prediction if you were to look at the genome. Being autistic is not a disease, it's a different way one's brain works. Kind of like the difference between Linux and Windows or iOS. Just that you can't easily "reprogram" a living being. Hence why I spoke up about Oxytocin being used to "treat" autism. Neurodiverse/neurodiversity (nd) would be the term for autistic, ADHD and other people whose brains work differently from the "norm".

Lmao administering Oxytocin makes people racists. Good on the author for thinking about the ugly bastards.

@Wildfire_desu Autism is classified as a developmental disorder that you have from birth (hence me using that term as we are discussing a cure for this "disease"). It shapes who you are at a base level, pushing this question into absurdity. But I will indulge your hypothetical situation.

How does this cure work? What form does it take? Gene manipulation while the child in question is still a fetus or fertilized egg/one of the stages before it takes recognizable form? Is that even a thing we should do? What about the environmental factors that likely play a role? We can't control those. So you want to "fix" a predisposition?

If that is too much, have alternatives:
"Just a pill" that you give to a young child? Or maybe even "only" something to drink for the baby/toddler? Something that FUNDAMENTALLY ALTERS THE BRAIN STRUCTURE AND WHO THE CHILD IS? I am using children as the example here because the majority of diagnoses is early in life. Would you, as a parent, decide to make your child into someone else because they would have it "easier" in life?

But taking a step away from children and making it an option for adults with full cognitive capacity (mostly about things like depression and not those of us who are on the "low functioning" end of the spectrum). Would you take the option to not be yourself anymore? To let all the memories you have accumulated in your life be the ones of a different person? If you even keep them, since it's such a drastic change. Because that is what you are asking. And in case you couldn't already guess, my answer to these is No. I would not take the cure.

I guess the absolute easiest is taking something akin to stimulants or antidepressants to fix whatever "imbalances" there are in the brain. Making it the safest for adults. We'd still have the same problem of being another person while on that medication. This isn't something like hallucinations or low moods. It's what makes you you. It's what shapes your experiences. It would be great if something that helps with sensory issues were found, decreasing the risk of meltdowns because of those. No, anti-epilepsy medication is not a sure way last I checked. But beyond that? I honestly like how my brain works. I have to use it in different ways to be as functional as a neurotypical person in our society, but I still like who I am. I am me and I am good the way I am. I already was someone else once. For most of my life. Would not recommend.

Double-page supporter
@Nestrior interesting take. being autistic myself, i absolutely despise all the identity politics, communists shove on us. for me, this question is like this: you have lost a hand. would you like to remain yourself, or get your hand back? i choose having two hands.

@Wildfire_desu The problem I have with your analogy is that it's not exactly that we are missing a hand. We have a different tool set rather than a missing hand. If you want to take oxytocin to help with social interaction, sure, that's your choice. But I still wouldn't sell it as a "cure". There is more to being autistic than "missing a hand socially". Which really is other people not knowing how to respond to us as much as we do not know how to respond to them. That is something that can be learned and communicated. No forceful change needed.

We are not sick for being autistic. We are born different in a society that was made without us in mind. I could make some analogies to other (and more marginalized) groups, but I won't. Still, there are many misconceptions thrown at us that don't make life easier. We don't fit into the system because of who we are and I do not think that it should be upon ourselves to change in order to fit in. That is why I would decline a wholesale cure for my problems.

this is far too dramatic, i'm actually dying of laughter bruh

Users who are viewing this thread