Rome Futari Gurashi - Vol. 1 Ch. 2

Dex-chan lover
I'm rather shocked that ancient Rome did have ear picks.
5UUSwiNl.jpg

Last edited:
since english isn't my first language, i really confused reading this TL version. but im glad someone continue this series, but..

Supporter
While people are hating on the roman like speech
I'm more worried about the extra time the TL wasted just trying to make it sound roman like

Dex-chan lover
While people are hating on the roman like speech
If it was "Roman-like" speech, this would be a Latin translation.

Looking at the raws for a bit, it's clear that the Japanese employed is modern and standard (it'd probably be cumbersome for Japanese readers to decipher classical Japanese), so the use of Middle English (and other quirks, such as the "Thank Jupiter" or "wrath of Atlas" lines) aren't in service of reflecting any linguistic antiquity or ancient Roman culture as depicted in this story.

I might be able to bear with it, even as this carries the risk of washing out the actual meaning of the script, especially since it's a translation of a work I've been looking forward to in an English that I can still ultimately decipher. But if the /a/nons responsible for this aren't keen on dropping the Shakespearean English, there's always the option of someone rendering it into modern standard English-- no different than scanlating a scanlation (well, it would help to have at least a little awareness of what's actually written in the raws).

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I understand what you were going for, but overall I found this translation irritating to read.

Dex-chan lover
while i'm sooo happy to read this again for the love god this TL is cancer i can read it but it is so annoying thx for it though hope u still TL it

Enjoyed the old english. Must have taken a good amount of effort to think of these phrases. Good job! It makes it a much more entertaining read, and it fits quite well with the theme of the manga. Hope to see more soon.

Users who are viewing this thread