Rule 3.4.7 :rejected:

Contributor
Rule states: Last chapter should be set to the final full chapter's number or the final chapter as marked by the publisher if possible.

To me, this rule is completely ambiguous as I will explain below in the P.P.S.

My suggestion is to modify this rule slightly. I believe the end icon should be the final "chapter" (I use quotes to differentiate what is said above). What I mean is the final item that has a chapter number to it, for example, extras. Extras don't formally have a chapter number assigned to them by the publisher, but MangaDex must assign a "chapter number" to the extras so they can be counted in the correct place as part of a volume. Because of this, I count he extra's chapter numbers as part of the volume and the volume doesn't end until after the last extra is counted.

As it stands now, the extras in the final volume are discounted as opposed to the extras in the previous volumes. My argument is why should the extras in the previous volumes be included in the story and the extras in the final volume not? (There is some leeway because of the word "should" in the rule.) Isn't this discrimination against the final volume's extras? My view is that the extras are part of the story somehow, otherwise the mangaka wouldn't have added them.

Let's look at an analogy using fictional volumes 1, 2, and 3 each with 4 chapters plus extras.

Picture this: each volume is a section of road. Let's say that the story is the tarred portion and the extras the concrete portion. Based on this this is how the road would look: tarred, concrete (volume 1), tarred, concrete (volume 2), tarred, concrete (volume 3). Lets add a brick wall (the end icon) at the end to indicate the end of the final volume (the back cover). Looking at this, each concrete portion of the road is just as much part of the road as the tarred portion. By placing the brick wall before the final concrete part of the road, means (to me) that that the final concrete portion of the road will never be driven over. Anything beyond the brick wall just doesn't exist (which should mean the back cover of the final volume).

Let's suppose there is an epilogue (a lot of mangas have that). Usually, the chapter before the epilogue is labeled in the volume as "final" or "fin" at the beginning of the chapter or the end. Technically, the epilogue is not an "extra," but still very much part of the story. Even the mangaka's notes are part of the story because that is where s/he explains what s/he did and why s/he did it. And, many times, the mangaka puts the word "bye" at the end of his/her notes which also means "the end." There are also chapters where the mangaka puts "fin" at the end of every chapter (or sub-story). The original rule, as it stands, does not take that inconsistency into account due to the second phrase of the rule.

My proposed change is this (or something like it, reword it as you will): Last chapter should be set to the final chapter number used.

P.S. This will probably be rejected, but I tried my darnedest to make a solid, logical argument for the change.

P.P.S. I'm still going to interpret the word "should" in the original rule as "not always" and I also consider extras as "full chapters." This is the loophole in the rule for the final chapter to be set at the last chapter number used in the volume. If the last chapter number is 35.5 (which is a full chapter), then that is the last chapter, not chapter 35. If you don't want this, then this loophole must be closed (my proposed change makes it clear, not ambiguous with the original rule). The second phrase of the original rule doesn't close the loophole due to the word "or" (which means one or the other, but not both) The extras, even if not numbered in the printed volume, are still "chapters" because (again) they are included in the volume. (I suppose a fix could be done by splitting the original rule into two sub-rules. The first sub-rule would be the second phrase, and the second being the first phrase with the prefix "and if not." This would get rid of the "or" and the "should." IOW, it would be 3.4.7 Last Chapter; 3.4.7.1 Is set to the final chapter as marked by the author if possible; 3.4.7.2 Is set to the final full chapter's number, if not possible. Even 3.4.7.2 is ambiguous since I consider extras as full chapters.)

P.P.P.S. I have Asperger Syndrome and I look at a lot of phrases as being literal and absolute. If the word "should" is used, that means to me "not always" and I don't have to "obey" the phrase after "should." If the words "full chapter" is used, then that means any sub-chapters or extras that have a chapter number assigned is a "full chapter." And if the word "or" is used, that means means I can do one or the other, just not both.

Group Leader
extras generally aren't full chapters though, hence the name extras
I can see some leeway if the extra is a continuation of the previous chapter's storyline just as long as a typical chapter, but most of the time an extra 4-koma, illustrations/a couple of extra pages, epilogue, or author's notes generally aren't enough to warrant what I'd call a full chapter.

why should the extras in the previous volumes be included in the story and the extras in the final volume not?

They are though? Regardless of what the final full chapter is, the extras still can be counted as part of that volume? It's just that after the chapter marked as "end", the story can be considered complete.

Let's suppose there is an epilogue (a lot of mangas have that). Usually, the chapter before the epilogue is labeled in the volume as "final" or "fin" at the beginning of the chapter or the end. Technically, the epilogue is not an "extra," but still very much part of the story. Even the mangaka's notes are part of the story because that is where s/he explains what s/he did and why s/he did it.

Sure, they're part of the story. If they were long enough (as in page count) as a full chapter, yeah, I don't see a problem in marking the extra as the actual end. However, they're just a few extra pages so I (personally) wouldn't mark it; I would just put "Epilogue" or something like that.
As for the author's note, they're generally short enough to be included with the final full chapter. If there's an extra epilogue/illustrations/whatever, I would just include it with those and mark the end chapter as the last full one (not the extra)

Dex-chan lover
Im pretty sure some people do this rn, regardless of the rule. one issue is availability of extras, which requires:
1. the volume that contains the extras/raws for them (which usually require the volume being sold, which could be weeks after final chapter is released)
2. knowledge of which manga have eaningful/even have epilogue/final extra chapters.

either way, people are changing the "end" chapter when a extra is published, see:
https://mangadex.org/title/36856/this-time-i-will-definitely-be-happy
https://mangadex.org/title/35947/this-summon-kitchen-skill-is-amazing-amassing-points-by-cooking-in-another-world

and i do mean some, since these ones don't have the epilogues as "end" chapters:
https://mangadex.org/title/19915/mousou-telepathy
https://mangadex.org/title/15722/tomo-chan-wa-onna-no-ko

also, idk what the publishers list as final chapter, i would think they don't include extras, since those are bundles in volumes, rather than sold online (again, this is usually the case), so you can't purchase them on their own (hence the "full chapter" requirement).

There also the fact that there are different languages and depending on the scantlators, they might not bother to do the epilogues or extras (since if no raws are available, they need to purchase and rip the volume releases).

TL:DR - up to scan groups if they want to publish the extras, because of that the actual last chapter is labelled "end", in some cases, the groups put in the effort to change the "end" chapter to the last extra, but since the publisher usually ignores extras as "full chapters", they don't always feel the need to do this nice extra work.

EDIT: after thinking about it, there are also groups that bundles extras with the chapter the proceed (so extra 12.5 would be added at the end of chapter 12), one example is the single image "omakes" that some groups add as extras (looking at https://mangadex.org/title/18221/amano-megumi-wa-suki-darake ) while others add at the end of the chapter (the first group did for this one https://mangadex.org/title/21177/goblin-is-very-strong ), so there are more subjective issues with what the group wants to do.

This is my opinion, and as to wether or not the rule should be changed, i think having some freedom in this case is good, since:
1. we wouldn't need to go back through all manga to check and fix them
2. reduce the chance of a group being pestured because they "broke a rule" for believing that extras aren't the "last chapter" (like the publishers do).

(I also like it when the full chapters are labelled as "end" first so that i can move it to my completed list and just check for updates when extras are posted)

P.S. if you label a manga as complete when a "end" chapter is published. use the follow list > all (or https://mangadex.org/follows/chapters/0 ) or follow > completed ( https://mangadex.org/follows/chapters/2 ) the see if extras have been posted, there will be the "viewed" marker among the not viewed to make them extra noticeable, and they won't clutter your reading label.

is a Reindeer
VIP
Potato pretty much listed our justification. Not arbitrary, a series ends on the final chapter, not the final extra. Extras are typically added when a series gets published into a volume, but that doesn't change when the series ended initially. Also, not all series will have chapter numbers :x That's why we have "if possible"

Users who are viewing this thread