S Rank Boukensha de aru Ore no Musume-tachi wa Juudo no Father Con deshita - Ch. 40 - Forfex: The One Who Carves the World

I'm kind of disappointed that the daughters could not defeat the hydra as getting a powerup during the battle is a tried and true trope. Having Kaiser once again show up to save the day... which is fine if the daughters cannot step up. At this point, though, just drop his want to be an S-rank, because there is always going to be something happening--why is there even a deadline? I dunno, this is getting somewhat frustrating.

Dex-chan lover
there was never any mention of no one being powerful enough to defeat s-rank monsters. the mc was known to be more than strong enough to be s-rank but he never reached the rank because of the retarded requirements to become s-rank having nothing to do with the individuals strength but with the amount of completed missions. during his last mission a dragon showed up and destroyed the town the girls were born in before he could make it in time to stop it. basically he called himself weak for failing to descend a mountain faster than the dragon could fly. no one else called him weak and they even tried to cheer him up because they knew his strength wasn't what was lacking.
Chapter 1, Page 22, entire page. Yeah, they did blame him.
Additionally Chapter 1, Page 24, 4th panel, second text box: "No matter how hard you tried, you couldn't fight it." said by the guild receptionist(? I don't think she's ever named).
These two pages completely discredit your statement. While nowhere in the chapter (nor immediately following chapters) does it say that "no one being powerful enough" it was clearly stated, by the guild, that he wasn't. He was A Rank, and if your assertion that he was on the final mission before advancing is accurate (which may have been mentioned in one of the last few chapters) then someone near S Rank was told they weren't powerful enough to face an S Rank monster.
They may have retconned it, but this is literally what is said in the first chapter of the manga.
The issue at the beginning of the story wasn't that the MC couldn't beat the dragon, but rather that he accidentally awakened the dragon and wasn't fast enough to stop the dragon from destroying the town. He felt like he should have finished his mission faster (killing wyverns) and if he did he wouldn't have awakened the dragon. Basically he felt it was his fault for essentially causing the destruction of the town and fell into a huge depression. He raised the three daughters because he felt it was his way to atone.
See the above, but also: "wasn't fast enough to stop the dragon from destroying the town" implies "beating" the dragon. How else would he "stop" the dragon? While I won't deny that he feels guilty for waking the dragon, nor that he fell into a depression from the destruction of the town, nor that raising the three girls is his way to atone, there's no getting around him "not beating the dragon." Other than simply not being there in the first place - which would have left the wyverns alive to attack the town regardless, or had a larger group of people come to do the same with likely the same results - there was no way to "stop" the dragon other than beating it.

Dex-chan lover
it hasn't even that long since he gone. . . come! we can develop the daughter even more.

Fed-Kun's army
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUCKING CLIFF FUK YOU UGH DFWPOINFGERNBLOIGW I JUST HAD TO RE-READ THIS AND LEAVE OF FON THIS CLIFF HUH WELL FK ME I GUESS anyways thats cool so she can be a hero huh what about the father? i wonder if he cant do that fun little light show

Dex-chan lover
i don't think you know how hydras work. the only way to defeat a hydra is to cut off all it's heads lest it infinitely regenerates. basically their body is just a mode of transport for them and serves no actual purpose to their survival. and that's not even to mention just how ridiculously sturdy their bodies are even compared to dragons.
That makes no sense...
Those heads still need lungs and hearts to work, as well as blood... destroy the body and you are killing all the heads at the same time...
They were luck this was not a "cut a head two more grows in it's place" type of hydra.

Dex-chan lover
Chapter 1, Page 22, entire page. Yeah, they did blame him.
Additionally Chapter 1, Page 24, 4th panel, second text box: "No matter how hard you tried, you couldn't fight it." said by the guild receptionist(? I don't think she's ever named).
These two pages completely discredit your statement. While nowhere in the chapter (nor immediately following chapters) does it say that "no one being powerful enough" it was clearly stated, by the guild, that he wasn't. He was A Rank, and if your assertion that he was on the final mission before advancing is accurate (which may have been mentioned in one of the last few chapters) then someone near S Rank was told they weren't powerful enough to face an S Rank monster.
They may have retconned it, but this is literally what is said in the first chapter of the manga.
she's not blaming him, this is a severe lack of reading comprehension if that's what you got out of that. why the fuck would she blame him when she was so madly infatuated with him? she was trying to comfort him by saying there was nothing he could do about it.

Dex-chan lover
she's not blaming him, this is a severe lack of reading comprehension if that's what you got out of that. why the fuck would she blame him when she was so madly infatuated with him? she was trying to comfort him by saying there was nothing he could do about it.
Clearly, this is a lack of reading comprehension on your behalf. I didn't say she blamed him. I said the entirety of page 22, on which she doesn't appear, but other guild members do, and he literally says he was blamed by his associates.
No. I said she specifically said: "No matter how hard you tried, you couldn't fight it." This isn't her blaming him, this is evidence that the guild specifically said that an A Rank wasn't powerful enough to face an S Rank monster. These are two separate instances to counter two separate things you said. The first of which is "there was never any mention of no one being powerful enough to defeat s-rank monsters. the mc was known to be more than strong enough to be s-rank" which was countered by my second sentence. The other part was: "no one else called him weak and they even tried to cheer him up because they knew his strength wasn't what was lacking." which was countered by my first sentence.
I'm sorry I made it confusing by placing the respective responses out of order.

Dex-chan lover
I like the idea that her future son came to help her in time of need

He's eventually gonna bang all three huh, pretty funny if you ask me

Plus it looks like the big guy has the MC's hairstyle but with the mother's haircolor

Dex-chan lover
See the above, but also: "wasn't fast enough to stop the dragon from destroying the town" implies "beating" the dragon. How else would he "stop" the dragon? While I won't deny that he feels guilty for waking the dragon, nor that he fell into a depression from the destruction of the town, nor that raising the three girls is his way to atone, there's no getting around him "not beating the dragon." Other than simply not being there in the first place - which would have left the wyverns alive to attack the town regardless, or had a larger group of people come to do the same with likely the same results - there was no way to "stop" the dragon other than beating it.
He never had the chance to actually fight the dragon. He arrived at the town after the dragon had already destroyed it. Essentially, the problem was not that he couldn't fight the dragon, he just wasn't fast enough to get to fight it in the first place. Had he gotten there faster, he could have beaten it or at least driven it away, but since he wasn't fast enough the town got destroyed and thus he blamed himself for his failure.

Dex-chan lover
He never had the chance to actually fight the dragon. He arrived at the town after the dragon had already destroyed it. Essentially, the problem was not that he couldn't fight the dragon, he just wasn't fast enough to get to fight it in the first place. Had he gotten there faster, he could have beaten it or at least driven it away, but since he wasn't fast enough the town got destroyed and thus he blamed himself for his failure.
Fair enough, but this still completely disregards the fact that in the same chapter he is literally told that he couldn't have beaten the dragon regardless; that he, an A Rank, wasn't enough to beat an S Rank by someone who has every implication of being from the guild.

Edit;
Additionally, as per chapter 29 and the fights conclusion in chapter 30, it is implied that he was "very nearly" as powerful as he is now back before he quit being an adventurer. His rival does say he got stronger, but only after doing a massive amount of damage, and doesn't say "much stronger" simply "stronger". If he has only risen slightly, but mostly maintained his abilities from being an adventurer, then he was strong enough to at least distract the dragon from a distance back then if not easily catch up with it and likely defeat it.
Based on the information from the first chapter this absolutely must be a retcon. He was literally told that he wasn't a match in the first chapter and rarely have they mentioned his power increasing, and often they mention it being the same (simply maintained).

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Fair enough, but this still completely disregards the fact that in the same chapter he is literally told that he couldn't have beaten the dragon regardless; that he, an A Rank, wasn't enough to beat an S Rank by someone who has every implication of being from the guild.

Edit;
Additionally, as per chapter 29 and the fights conclusion in chapter 30, it is implied that he was "very nearly" as powerful as he is now back before he quit being an adventurer. His rival does say he got stronger, but only after doing a massive amount of damage, and doesn't say "much stronger" simply "stronger". If he has only risen slightly, but mostly maintained his abilities from being an adventurer, then he was strong enough to at least distract the dragon from a distance back then if not easily catch up with it and likely defeat it.
Based on the information from the first chapter this absolutely must be a retcon. He was literally told that he wasn't a match in the first chapter and rarely have they mentioned his power increasing, and often they mention it being the same (simply maintained).
You do have to remember that the series has went out of its way to show that pretty much no one can gauge his strength unless they see it themselves, so it's not exactly farfetched to think that even a guild member would assume that he wouldn't have been able to beat the dragon because he's at A rank without actually knowing just how strong he actually was.

Also rereading the series, in chapter 22 he wonders that if he had the speed up magic that the other magic teacher had back in the past, he might have been able to get to the town first and stop the dragon. Basically again, the MC is dwelling over the fact that he wasn't fast enough to fight the dragon, not that he wasn't strong enough to fight it.

Dex-chan lover
That makes no sense...
Those heads still need lungs and hearts to work, as well as blood... destroy the body and you are killing all the heads at the same time...
They were luck this was not a "cut a head two more grows in it's place" type of hydra.
A mythical monster making sense.... that's a new one....

But for a hydra, whether it regens or doubles its heads when you lob one off, there's one simple basic statistic: It's body is so large and sturdy weapons simply won't work against it.
Even if you could penetrate its skin, the sheer mass of muscles forms an effective second layer of armour over anything vital you could potentially hit.
And the main body has the same regenerative capabilities...
And it's protected by the tail and the heads, meaning you can't even get close.. It's got near-full defensive coverage by several very agressive chompers and a large whip imitating truck-kun..

You'd need something akin to a bunkerbuster cruise missile to even stand a chance of seriously damaging its body.
Or siege-class magic designed to take out fortifications. Which usually means a dedicated group of mages from the military, outside of OP (isekai) heroes.

The original hydra still got killed/finished off by a thrust to the heart with a spear (the old greeks very much believed in double-tapping to make sure...).
Which could only be done after each and every head was dealt with, because that's the only way you could get close enough to thrust that spear through its "throat", its only "weak" spot. Which was protected by those, quite venomous, snake heads with quite a long reach.

Dex-chan lover
What I don't understand is why he is suddenly so much more powerful. Wasn't the entire origin of this manga that he (and practically anyone else) wasn't powerful enough to defeat an "S" Rank disaster of a monster? Or was that first dragon something above "S" Rank? "SS"? "SSS"?
So far as I recall, and I don't claim to have a good memory), he has maintained his skill level (or it has diminished if his former partner is correct), so if he can kill an "S" Rank now, he should have been able to "do something" back in chapter 1...

/Sigh
I will actually go and double check this when I'm not on my phone.
tbh, I actually enjoy the idea of a D.E.M. failing and the person still having to be saved. But now I wish each girl get their "hero" moment, since the most badass moment in this was Merly coming to the save even if it was just momentary. But, I really hope the guild revisit their rank system because 2 S rank adventures should not get bodied this badly by an S rank monster unless monsters are 1 or 2 ranks higher than people (meaning it takes a team of humans to match a monster of the same rank).
I think in this setting, S rank is simply the highest rank there is. Knight daughter is S rank, hydra is S rank, Kaizer is S rank, god is S rank, author is S rank. Sure, some of them are stronger than others, but it does not translate to having a different letter. Maybe because it's impossible to measure their power with ordinary tools, or because there are so few beings at that rank.

Dex-chan lover
In addition to this, he wears the same necklace the girls got Kaiser as a present way back in chapter 5.
So, that heroic spirit took the form of how MC looked in his daughter's eyes?
It makes some sense.

Fed-Kun's army
So, that heroic spirit took the form of how MC looked in his daughter's eyes?
It makes some sense.
No, I think that is the original Hero, Elna's biological father, and the necklace Kaiser got as a gift was actually his that somehow got sold or someone picked it up after he died.

Dex-chan lover
So, the Limit Break thing was cool, and is some backstory reveal, but ultimately pointless for this Hydra. Any other monster without hella regen would have made this much more impactful, even if it wasn't a fatal blow. (also, why the hell are we cutting hydra heads again? Big ass body holding them heads and we got this).

Dad showing up was inevitable, and again, it is so stupid that there was a plan of "don't disturb Dad's trip" going against a monster that was a blatant threat for the town, if not the entire kingdom. Again, if we get to a point where he doesn't get S-Rank right now because he missed this "oh-so-important" deadline to kill this S-ranked monster, he should and likely would never do it anyway, the organization isn't worth it in the first place, and it's their loss. What good person would sacrifice, or otherwise be OK losing their family and home for a letter grade? I get his daughters not wanting to tie him down, but he also doesn't WANT YA'LL TO DIE, especially for something that he could have prevented if he was just properly informed.

I realize that it is HIGHLY likely that my rant will comprise of the next three or so chapters, along with some scolding/grounding, but with how needlessly extended this chapter was, and the wait we had to go through to get it? Holy crap the wrap-up of this incident is going to take an ice age.

The bolded part's a very good point--I agree with it.

What good person would sacrifice, or otherwise be OK losing their family and home for a letter grade?

But this one bears special attention. The question's answered simply enough--no good person would, as it's psychopathically selfish. No good person would think it's an acceptable tradeoff, either; the daughters were gripped by multiple emotions--too much so to think straight--and don't count. (Elsa is a special case: not only does she want to stand next to Kaiser in terms of power and as a woman--as opposed to his daughter raised from infancy--she's also S-rank, and likely believes that that rank would mean nothing if she couldn't hold down the fort in his absence. Frankly speaking, her failure WOULD call that rank's value into question, but one must also question the strategic and tactical validity of sending only two combatants to fight that infamous monster.)

There is, however, a certain someone who thought nothing of it herself; someone who held a sword against Kaiser's neck to forestall his return for exactly that letter grade's sake--or tried to.

Whatever the case, I'm most interested in what happens after these chapters. Their events might appear egregious, but that might only be so because they're considered alone and out of the context of the rest of the story. (But this story is written by the same person who treats that psychopath haunting Kaiser with kid gloves; I'm staying at the fence.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread