Saihate no Polaris - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

I like this! I love how she had the courage to go against her controlling mother. I'm so proud of her

I get that there are parents who can be a bit pushy or insensitive in their desire to have their child succeed. That said, there is no way the mom should think that tearing up the picture her daughter worked hard on would be right. It's one thing to nag her to study more, but to rip up her work is just mean.

Sadly, not the first time I've heard of such things in reality. I've heard of ones who've had their books, artwork, etc destroyed by their parents, not because they were doing anything bad, but because it didn't fit their parent's goal of what they should do. Pretty much threatening to destroy anything they work on that doesn't align with the "plan". You also hear of those scary cases of parents who schedule every minute of the day their kid lives. People may have varying parenting styles but even prisoners aren't that restricted.

hmmm I love how she went up against her mother, but I don't really understand why she chose that school outside of the fact that she has a crush on a dude. I mean, it's a technical school and I'm guessing she'll follow him into the mechanics course that she had no prior interest in. And from what I'm seeing she's going to this school because it has "delinquent" looking people. Idk but there's a difference between being rebellious and being short sighted

Come on lady, you didn't have to make yourself look like a delinquent you were top cute before...

I'm guessing the technical school also has an arts program? Otherwise, it's not really good that she chose a trades school just to follow a guy she barely knows.....

Ugh, parents like her mom are so sucky....there are definitely worst parents out there but tht doesn't make her anywhere near the good parent zone.

@Nubilose I agree. I feel like it would have been better if she applied to an art-focused high school, but then it'd be hard to do the romance aspect

@Puckling8 That’s what ruins it for me. Also, I’m surprised the mom didn’t force her to apply to the prestigious school anyways, unless it happened and the girl didn’t make it. There’s no way a mom like that would’ve given up that easily, especially letting her daughter go to a school the mom considers to be filled with delinquents. Nothing here makes sense.

@Nubilose @Puckling8
Idk. I think the technical school might be a great opportunity. She'll learn math, mechanics, design, and more. And with her art skills, she could combine them as a step toward learning industrial design, which might be something she'd like to do. It also may not, and your point that an art school might be better for her is valid. But the technical school isn't necessarily a disadvantage. It's just different. But still a great opportunity. It all will depend on what she makes of it.

Dex-chan lover
Just when I thought her mother wasn't too bad of a parent, she goes and rips her art in half. That's just fucked up. I'm surprised she didn't flip out or anything when she went with a different school and dyed her hair, but that may be reserved for the next chapter.

The message of this chapter is pretty messy. The mother is indeed passive aggressive towards her art but she doesnt have to be so sad to the point that she feels victimized because her classmates gave her a c&c on her artwork. That scene when the delinquent guy dismissed the girls doesnt seem justified. This is a class anthology afterall and criticisms and suggestions are very welcome. There should be a boundary between these two scenarios because they are completely different.

Now she is going to the technical school because she find the delinquent guy liberating not because she really like it there. That doesnt seem so different from her following her mom.

@KarachuN Absolutely agree, it wasn't a personal project, it was the class anthology so classmates should be able to openly give their critique (unless there's some cultural context I'm missing). But maybe that's the point. I'm hoping the direction this story takes is a journey of her learning and realising that she doesn't have to be like the delinquent guy or her mother, finding her own path.

Chapter 2 Spoiler:
When she attends the technical school in Chapter 2, it doesn't even appear like she's doing anything related to art, so I don't know why she's even there..

Or maybe my hope that the mangaka has considered all of these issues and has a reason behind it is just wishful thinking haha

Users who are viewing this thread