Same chapter appearing in multiple Tankoubons :maybe:

Power Uploader
Not sure how feasible this is but i have had several run ins with a chapter that has appeared in multiple Tankoubons/Compilations/Anthologies

Ever considered a system that would allow for a single entry to appear in multiple places?

For example:
Compilation - A
Tankoubon - B
Anthology - C

A, B , & C will retain their data (chapter number, and naming convention used in that entry)
all three will link to a single chapter on the back end and would thereby save space and duplicate entries. If multiple versions exist a possible easier solution would be to simply link the "slot" and have all entries in that slot appear in all 3 areas.

For example:
Compilation - Ch 3 (Group 1)
Compilation - Ch 3 (Group 2)
Tankoubon - Ch 4 (Group 2)
Anthology - Ch 9 (Group 3)

linking a back end numbering scheme so that all entries in "Compilation chapter 3" will be automatically duplicated to "Tank Ch4 & Anthology Ch 9 & Vice Versa"

Final result being:
Compilation - Ch 3 (Group 1)
Compilation - Ch 3 (Group 2)
Compilation - Ch 3 (Group 3)
Tankoubon - Ch 4 (Group 1)
Tankoubon - Ch 4 (Group 2)
Tankoubon - Ch 4 (Group 3)
Anthology - Ch 9 (Group 1)
Anthology - Ch 9 (Group 2)
Anthology - Ch 9 (Group 3)

9 entries on the site and only 3 chapters on the server

Dex-chan lover
A similar thought on my part was abandoned when I read a mangaka admitting that she'd had to redraw parts of a story for a collection because she'd discarded some of the original work. I then realized that what seemed to be the same story might vary across collections, and for other reasons as well as loss of earlier source material.

Still, a linkage of some sort at the level of chapters seems desirable, though I'm not sure just what that sort should be.

Power Uploader
I have run into that scenario when it comes to one shots that are later compiled. You have to differentiate the versions. Right now I have seen both chapters uploaded but one is labeled (Tankoubon Version) the other is labeled (Original Release Version) and both chapters are then uploaded. (Seen this used on a few hentai chapters)

Power Uploader
Naturally it would be a case by case basis if exceptions like that crop up. But in general it would be handled like anything else. Somebody with edit powers fixes the linking or even just report it with report button if something is off.

Power Uploader
Personally I would only make this a toggled feature on series marked as anthology or certain collaborative works. if there are concerns about vandals, request that feature to be enabled via the report button and have the model enable or disable editing of it just like they do currently when an editing war happens.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Assasinart posted:

Not sure how feasible this is but i have had several run ins with a chapter that has appeared in multiple Tankoubons/Compilations/Anthologies

Ever considered a system that would allow for a single entry to appear in multiple places?
Yes, we had a discussion about it in staff chat a while back. The idea was to make manga title entries work more like the pools in Danbooru, so that a given chapter could appear in one or more pools (or, in this case, compilations and the like). It would be especially useful for organizing H chapters, which tend to get grouped in every which way - oneshots, tanks, mags, series that have nothing to do with each other than the artist and a loose title (e.g. VictimGirls). It's a mess.

Unfortunately, while the idea isn't bad per se, we did run into at least the following problems: 1) it's a little confusing so it would need great UI work, both with chapter/manga editing and in the reader (this includes related issues such as how the chapters should get numbered) 2) it would overhaul an entire major system so it would be quite a lot of work, and 3) we're already behind on more important work anyway.

Tagging as "Maybe" although "I wish" is probably more accurate. If anyone has a comprehensive system in mind, let us know.

Users who are viewing this thread