Saotome Senshu, Hitakakusu - Vol. 10 Ch. 119 - Saotome Senshu, Sensing

I think what makes it worse is in terms of all the boxers we have seen so far, Satoru is easily at the lowest tier and the author is basically having him job every single fight.

Dex-chan lover
That's one thing that I dislike in sports manga, this repetitive talk about "talent".
Fuck this shit.

Double-page supporter
@Panino

Eh, I much prefer that over the "try your best and you'll win" idea. Would like to see Satoru actually *do something* though...

Dex-chan lover
@Panino
To be fair it's not something the writer can just ignore because in real life I got SUPER gifted athletes in almost all sports but it's not something a writer should endlessly kiss ass to either like this one does.

A balance of both should be achieved

Dex-chan lover
Super talent can only take you to a certain distance.
A well placed punch can knock out even the incarnation of talent itself.
This is what my boxing trainer told me.
He always told himself this whenever he got into the ring. He managed to go to the '68 olympics and take home the gold.
He was like Satorou. Everyone had it better. Better trainers, better bodies, talent and so on.
He worked hard.
He did not give up.
And he sure as hell did not lower his own morale right in the middle of a fight.
Author, if this guy loses again, then it is clear that you only want him losing for the sake of more of drama and flair.

Double-page supporter
Yea, this manga has too few pages a chapter to do this kind of arc, and frankly, it's annoying for 12 pages to go by and almost nothing to happen. Not to mention that ridiculous flag for annoying upcoming drama.

Comedy SoL manga should stick to comedy SoL, not drama.

Dex-chan lover
@SieghartX
You see that's the thing.
At least Kimura got a badass fight with a Japanese CHAMP
At least Kimura is allowed to win here and there
Satoru will NEVER get such mercy.
At this rate he'll be stuck as a loser with no hype moments in the ring who sits in the back while all his friends succeed at life
This writer somehow made being KIMURA seem more appealing from a boxing perspective

Dex-chan lover
God fucking damn it, again? I didn't want much, just a single fucking win. Was that too much? Fucking hell.

Dex-chan lover
Still want to believe this as a fake-out...the whole “talent” narrative around sports manga starts getting boring if it never gets challenged.
Satoru needs at least one win...or else he’ll straight up lock himself up...it’s just sadistic to build up to this point and never deliver.

Dex-chan lover
satoruuuuuuuuuuu

@MRPANDOPOOL
don't you think it's for the dynamic of a couple with a 'serious talent' and 'no talent' which reverses traditional gender roles?

@MRPANDAPOOL

I get it. Hard work beats talent. But what if talent also has hard work?
What if talent works even harder?

Hard work is great. But it is not exclusive to those with less talent.

Fed-Kun's army
Is Satoru the Ash Ketchum of boxing? I just want him to win. Just once. Let my boy win just once.

Dex-chan lover
@nobaka and that is great, but the trick is on balancing things. Not doing the same thing, over and over. Satorou loses. Saotome wins with his advice. Satorou loses again. Saotome wins again. Etc. Etc. Of course, we both know that Saotome doesn't always win, and that is good. It gives a good bit of "realism" to her character, to her talent and her hardwork (things that are not mutually exclusive). But Satorou always losing is bad. Because even if he learns from his defeat, he already did that many times...only to lose again. I am not asking for a shounen power up, heck not even a knock-out. Let the dude win from just one point of difference and then faint right there and there. Then he would finally be able to see that, yes, he can do it but he is not made for it...as bad as it sounds. Or something else. Regardless, would let him grow as character IMO.

@zekkendo Never said that those things are mutually exclusive. I said that no matter how talented you are, a well placed punch can knock you out. Because it is factually true. I trained with many people, sparred with many people, talented, hard workers, both, and so on. And they all were knocked out (counting myself too), at least once, by someone else finding their 'sweet spot' out of sheer luck. Or research. That is why my trainer never gave up despite his hang ups (economical, social, etc). Because there was always that chance to win, what matters is how you pave the way towards that chance. And the way that is always available to everybody is...hard work. To train, to improve one's technique, and so on. Of course, that is but one way to win, hard work can lead you to other ways too. Now if you have the talent and are blessed by the genetic lottery, that doesn't mean you rest on your laurels, of course. After all, hard work is available for everyone. And there will always be someone better than you, talented, hardworker, or both.

Now, when it comes to the other part of my comment, I am referring to the part of the chapter where Satorou seems to lower his own morale in the middle of the fight. That is a no-no. No matter how bleak things seem inside the ring, you face them head on and with your heart in your fists. However the fight ends is matter future you will deal with, right now, you are fighting, right now, your fate isn't sealed. Of course, this is influenced by my trainer's way of thinking so you can dismiss it as personal bias.

Double-page supporter
Looks like he crumbles there, solid knockout unless there's an ass-pull.

Dex-chan lover
@MRPANDOPOOL
it also considers the concept of 'winning isn't everything'
technically (in terms of technique, not by literal rules) satoru is a fantastic boxer. that's why he's such a good training partner/coach for saotome. but understanding and execution are different. also, he's still a kid

Users who are viewing this thread