Sarumane - Vol. 1 Ch. 4 - Juvenile

Dex-chan lover
Now we just need to know why it was so hostile towards the mother. Like, are these things are aggressive for the sake of being aggressive, or do they have a motive?

Dex-chan lover
Now we just need to know why it was so hostile towards the mother. Like, are these things are aggressive for the sake of being aggressive, or do they have a motive?
Think they have a grudge against the human. One of them probably had their pregnant children killed by the same way (rocks thrown at them). Also might explain why it doesn't straight away kill the sleeping boy.

Dex-chan lover
What a dumbass father. All the father has to do is explain to his son why he shouldn't go after the monkey so he can understand.

Dex-chan lover
Dad really needed to explain the situation. Now sons going to die.
"The monkeys learn by watching you do shit." See, was that so hard? Jesus.
What a dumbass father. All the father has to do is explain to his son why he shouldn't go after the monkey so he can understand.
I like how any of you would think anyone would believe him,the hunter who is treated as a coward,for something that they're deeply ingrained with,more so his own son who despises him.

At most would be his wife.

They would need to collectively witness the monkeys doing stuff,and using a matchlock seems like the perfect chance to see that happen.

After that,they need to deliver finishing blows to the monkeys,not the half-arse stuff that allows the monkeys to get harder,faster,stronger.

Dex-chan lover
I like how any of you would think anyone would believe him,the hunter who is treated as a coward,for something that they're deeply ingrained with,more so his own son who despises him.
So, because you don't think the son will believe him, there is no reason at all to even bother trying to explain anything?

The father could've brought up what he saw those monkeys doing to that couple. He could've also told his son to follow him and gather the villagers. The point being that the son was frustrated at the father for seemingly doing nothing other than running away. If the father acted like he knew what he was doing, the son would be more willing to follow his lead.

Dex-chan lover
So, because you don't think the son will believe him, there is no reason at all to even bother trying to explain anything?

The father could've brought up what he saw those monkeys doing to that couple. He could've also told his son to follow him and gather the villagers. The point being that the son was frustrated at the father for seemingly doing nothing other than running away. If the father acted like he knew what he was doing, the son would be more willing to follow his lead.
Again,why would anyone believe him?

He's been branded as the coward hunter,clearly his son has been bullied to the point of distrust,he himself just got that information from an outsider the village treats as strange,and he holds no authority of any kind.

You expect him to make a brief,concise,informational statement in the heat of the moment and make someone who distrusts him to believe that what they know is wrong and that he should be trusted?

And you expect the son to not continue the charge at the monkey with knife in hand during all that?

Also,knew what he was doing?,in this situation where prior logic has been shattered,blood is being spilled,and he just ran to his house after hearing a blood curdling scream,who on Earth would be in any mental state to know what they're doing in this situation that has just started to happen?

Dex-chan lover
Again,why would anyone believe him?

He's been branded as the coward hunter,clearly his son has been bullied to the point of distrust,he himself just got that information from an outsider the village treats as strange,and he holds no authority of any kind.

You expect him to make a brief,concise,informational statement in the heat of the moment and make someone who distrusts him to believe that what they know is wrong and that he should be trusted?

And you expect the son to not continue the charge at the monkey with knife in hand during all that?

Also,knew what he was doing?,in this situation where prior logic has been shattered,blood is being spilled,and he just ran to his house after hearing a blood curdling scream,who on Earth would be in any mental state to know what they're doing in this situation that has just started to happen?
The rest of the village may not listen to him, but I'm not talking about the rest of the village. I'm talking about a father reasoning with his son.

Being the person that raised him from birth means that the kid kid that still sees him as an authority figure in his family. That alone makes the kid more inclined to at least hear his father out. It's not like the kid hates his father. The kid is just really disappointed in him.

I expected him to at least try to explain what he saw and what he was told to his son. Problem is that he never even bothered. I also would've asked him to stay and protect his mother while I go get the rest of the villagers. The kid may be disappointed in his father, but I'm sure that he loves and respects his mother completely.

And read my response again. I said ACT like he knew what he was doing. It does not matter if he didn't know what he was doing as long as he acted like he did. This is all about human psychology. Most people are sheep that like to outsource their thinking to others. Humans naturally gravitate towards strong people, people of higher status, and people that seem to know what they are doing. Children naturally see the adult that raised them as authority figures.

The father did not have to know what he was doing as long as he acted like it and showed enough confidence in his decision.

Dex-chan lover
The rest of the village may not listen to him, but I'm not talking about the rest of the village. I'm talking about a father reasoning with his son.

Being the person that raised him from birth means that the kid kid that still sees him as an authority figure in his family. That alone makes the kid more inclined to at least hear his father out. It's not like the kid hates his father. The kid is just really disappointed in him.

I expected him to at least try to explain what he saw and what he was told to his son. Problem is that he never even bothered. I also would've asked him to stay and protect his mother while I go get the rest of the villagers. The kid may be disappointed in his father, but I'm sure that he loves and respects his mother completely.

And read my response again. I said ACT like he knew what he was doing. It does not matter if he didn't know what he was doing as long as he acted like he did. This is all about human psychology. Most people are sheep that like to outsource their thinking to others. Humans naturally gravitate towards strong people, people of higher status, and people that seem to know what they are doing. Children naturally see the adult that raised them as authority figures.

The father did not have to know what he was doing as long as he acted like it and showed enough confidence in his decision.
And as already established,no,even his own son won't listen to him.

The father blurting out that the monkeys will learn and retaliate wouldn't even work,might even just backfire by the son calling it bull crap and continue the knife attack,because again,that contradicts the long established truth in their minds.

As for the getting the other villagers,they should do that with the mother in tow,because we all saw how the son would've reacted.

I like how you to talk about psychology but ignore the blatant fact that no one has a level head when their once peaceful lives very suddenly turn bloody by creatures they thought they knew,during the night where visibility drops,and the father,who is a established man of weak will,runs to his home after hearing screams,is expected to ACT something he clearly NEVER DID before during a situation that he would've never imagined.

Dex-chan lover
And as already established,no,even his own son won't listen to him.
The son did not listen to him because all the father tried to do is run away. No explanation, no anything. Just run away. I do not blame the son for not listening to his father, when that is all he ever did. Hence, my post.
The father blurting out that the monkeys will learn and retaliate wouldn't even work,might even just backfire by the son calling it bull crap and continue the knife attack,because again,that contradicts the long established truth in their minds.

As for the getting the other villagers,they should do that with the mother in tow,because we all saw how the son would've reacted.
I am just saying that the father should have at least tried to reason with him. Would have that worked? Who knows? But even if there was a small chance to reason with his son, he should've taken it. It's better to take that chance than have him go off and get killed.

And I agree that they shouldn't leave the mother alone and take her with both father and son.
I like how you to talk about psychology but ignore the blatant fact that no one has a level head when their once peaceful lives very suddenly turn bloody by creatures they thought they knew,during the night where visibility drops,and the father,who is a established man of weak will,runs to his home after hearing screams,is expected to ACT something he clearly NEVER DID before during a situation that he would've never imagined.
I think you are confusing what happened in the other village with what has happened to this village so far.

No one really knows what is going on at the village at the moment, other than the father and that survivor from the other village. Everyone right now just thinks what is happening is just them having to chase away some pests. Most people are asleep, while the few that are awake are wanting to kill some monkeys that are seemingly trying to steal their food. Literally no one is panicking right now, other than that one guy from the other village. Not even the girl that was raped is panicking. She's in shock, but she is not panicking. That may happen in the next chapter, but it hasn't happened as of right now.

The son did not listen to him because all the father tried to do is run away. No explanation, no anything. Just run away. I do not blame the son for not listening to his father, when that is all he ever did. Hence, my post.

I am just saying that the father should have at least tried to reason with him. Would have that worked? Who knows? But even if there was a small chance to reason with his son, he should've taken it. It's better to take that chance than have him go off and get killed.

And I agree that they shouldn't leave the mother alone and take her with both father and son.

I think you are confusing what happened in the other village with what has happened to this village so far.

No one really knows what is going on at the village at the moment, other than the father and that survivor from the other village. Everyone right now just thinks what is happening is just them having to chase away some pests. Most people are asleep, while the few that are awake are wanting to kill some monkeys that are seemingly trying to steal their food. Literally no one is panicking right now, other than that one guy from the other village. Not even the girl that was raped is panicking. She's in shock, but she is not panicking. That may happen in the next chapter, but it hasn't happened as of right now.

Tbf I get what the other guy is saying.

The son doesn't respect his dad. The son compares his dad to the other hunters, and we can also assume the other kids in the village do the same. That's why the son gets bullied by the other kids - because his dad is seen as weak and only runs away by majority of the villagers to the point even the children see him this eay/bully his son for it.

Because of this the son doesn't respect his dad. So he is not going to listen to any reason - he will only probably listen if his dad were to try and fight these things, also if a kid is told "monkeys are learning from what you do" they really don't have the critical thinking to stop and think of a gameplan or something, he's probably still going to want to fight it.

And from a psychology perspective (I've studied psychology and will be graduating in two weeks, and will be starting my masters in September) Children aren't generally that reasonable - especially in tense anxiety-inducing situations - they will hyperfocus on what is important. In this case, mum was hurt > the monkey did it > we should kill the monkey > dads a pussy and will say anything to not fight > I have to kill the monkey to protect mum.

Another example: Kid wants a toy > dad says no we can't afford it > kid sees they're food shopping and can't understand why they can't get an expansive toy > kid throws a tantrum. You see this sort of thing all the time, even if you explain to a child WHY they can't do something, they'll most of the time will throw a tantrum and try to do the thing anyway.

This isn't even that big of a loophole. A bigger one is the monkeys themselves.
We see that they were super violent in the first village - using knives/swords and whatever to kill and eat people. What happened from that place to this village for them to lose that knowledge? They seemingly don't know how to use knives to kill people - they had to learn to use a knife to gut a person? But they should have known how to use a knife/sword as a weapon from the first village and carried that knowledge here.

Dex-chan lover
Tbf I get what the other guy is saying.

The son doesn't respect his dad. The son compares his dad to the other hunters, and we can also assume the other kids in the village do the same. That's why the son gets bullied by the other kids - because his dad is seen as weak and only runs away by majority of the villagers to the point even the children see him this eay/bully his son for it.

Because of this the son doesn't respect his dad. So he is not going to listen to any reason - he will only probably listen if his dad were to try and fight these things, also if a kid is told "monkeys are learning from what you do" they really don't have the critical thinking to stop and think of a gameplan or something, he's probably still going to want to fight it.

And from a psychology perspective (I've studied psychology and will be graduating in two weeks, and will be starting my masters in September) Children aren't generally that reasonable - especially in tense anxiety-inducing situations - they will hyperfocus on what is important. In this case, mum was hurt > the monkey did it > we should kill the monkey > dads a pussy and will say anything to not fight > I have to kill the monkey to protect mum.

Another example: Kid wants a toy > dad says no we can't afford it > kid sees they're food shopping and can't understand why they can't get an expansive toy > kid throws a tantrum. You see this sort of thing all the time, even if you explain to a child WHY they can't do something, they'll most of the time will throw a tantrum and try to do the thing anyway.

This isn't even that big of a loophole. A bigger one is the monkeys themselves.
We see that they were super violent in the first village - using knives/swords and whatever to kill and eat people. What happened from that place to this village for them to lose that knowledge? They seemingly don't know how to use knives to kill people - they had to learn to use a knife to gut a person? But they should have known how to use a knife/sword as a weapon from the first village and carried that knowledge here.
It's not that I do not get what that guy is saying. It's that we are arguing about whether there was any point in even trying to reason with the kid.

I've been saying all along that he should have at least tried. While he says that since it would not have changed anything, the father was right in not even bothering.

And I would have told the kid that these are not normal monkeys. They have killed people in ways that no monkey has ever done (even an entire village) and that he should and his mother should go around warning the other villagers about the danger. Since his mother is pregnant, the son should stay close to her and protect her in case another monkey attacks her. Along the way, they should try rescuing other villagers that have encountered the monkeys.

See, the son does not respect the dad because he thinks he's a useless coward. But if the father frames it as protecting his mother and warning the other villagers, then the father can be seen as taking on a leadership role to protect everyone, while the son can play the role of the hero protecting his mother from savage, murderous monkeys.

Again, would have this worked? I don't know. Maybe. Maybe not. I am not the author. But my entire argument this whole time is that the father should have at least tried something, instead of saying nothing and running away. I mean, what did he have to lose by not even trying?

Users who are viewing this thread