Saw on rejected, but no END tag? :rejected:

Is it not possible to have a "completed" tag to titles by completion of scanlation? It's surprisingly frustrating searching for something completed when it means the manga itself is completed, but not the scans. If for some reason that's not possible, then why not show the last updated chapter on the title display in results? That way you'd see if the last chapter has the END tag

Dex-chan lover
@celblau

Before attempting to relitigate the status of a suggestion, go through past discussions and find the discussion of that suggestion. (There are not yet too many threads in this forum for it to be impracticable to search them by paging.)

The final chapter may have been provided (with the END tag) long before intermediate chapters, and intermediate material provided by some group may be withdrawn after combined efforts have resulted in a complete scanlation. And that tag designates the final chapter but not necessarily the final content of a series.

Before attempting to relitigate the status of a suggestion, go through past discussions and find the discussion of that suggestion. (There are not yet too many threads in this forum for it to be impracticable to search them by paging.)
There are literally 1,163 topics in the Suggestion forum (20 topics per page, 58 full pages, with three topics on page 59).

I was thinking maybe amending the publication status from "Completed" to "Completed at Ch. X". Putting an END tag on the publication status would be difficult, since the English scans may be completed to last chapter, but the Russian scans may only be 75% of the way thru the series. If the status was changed "Completed at Ch. 78" would be easier for a reader to see how many chapters are left before the scans catch up to the last release.

New readers may not know about the END tag for the final chapter. I sure didn't, so when Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro publication status said it was completed, and no new updates showed up after a while, I was shocked when I noticed 3 extra chapters suddenly showed up since the group who's doing the TL doesn't really upload on a set schedule for that series.

Separate question: WHo puts up the END tag on the last chapter? Is it the uploader or something in the system? If the uploader is responsible, then the uploader may forget to tag it as END which would create problems. Sure, readers could submit a ticket or something, but that requires your average lay reader to know exactly which chapter is the very last chapter of a series. Some cases might be easy since it's located on a wikipedia page, but others aren't as visible.

Right there on the pinned post.

Rejected

Titles

Collapse related series when lots of entries present (covered by planned Franchise pages)
Total chapter count (per language)
Total page count (per language)
END status (per language)

Almost every week theres another person posting this sort of thing.

Dex-chan lover
@Yoder_of_Kansas
There are literally 1,163 topics in the Suggestion forum (20 topics per page, 58 full pages, with three topics on page 59).
Yes, and I quickly moved through them recently, when I wanted to find all previous threads in which a specific suggestion had been made.

We are talking about an attempt to revive a suggestion the rejection of which is listed in the pinned post. A little effort to investigate the old arguments is incumbent on the person(s) attempting that revival.

@blackyawgdom@Oeconomist
I was asking more for why and what possible alternatives we could come up with so that it's a bit less frustrating. I just think it's something worth revisiting since it does make things a bit harder to find at times. It's a suggestion forum and we just want to improve the site. The caption's a little misleading though; I know about the END tag, but want the mangas to be listed as completed by scanlation, not by raw status.

But since I'm like a month late and I seriously have nothing to lose, could you dial back the condescension a little bit? I get that it's annoying, but I just wanted to know and that's fair.

@Yoder_of_Kansas

I think after story chapters are always kind of a shock when they come through ahaha, I've always just rolled with it since it's a nice surprise. I want to think that the uploader labels it since I've seen a lot of oneshot collections not labeled complete, but what do I know :/ It's probably better that it's left up to the uploader though, but I go off of whether if there's a to be continued at the bottom, but that's not reliable either.

I can think of multiple issues with your suggestion OP.

1. The translation side
A. It could be that it is completed but is published officially, hence no scans here.
B. The scanlators could in some way not desire to have their scans posted here (happens more in novels rather than manga, but there are instances)

2. Other reasons
A. Doing that (it would be a manual task everytime) would require mod intervention everytime, unless they freely allow tag re-editing which opens another bag of worms.
B. MD is more of a catalogue site. There are far easier resources that you could use (mangaupdates being one of the better suited ones)
C. If you see the end tag on a chapter you'd know it ended. A lot of manga are uploaded post publication here and the odds of you thinking completed means scanlation completion is far too much a minority since a single upload fixes that misconception.

Dex-chan lover
@celblau

Could you attend to what I actually said? I parenthetically mentioned the END marker in the course of explaining the more general problem. And these matters have been discussed in the earlier threads that you should have read before attempting to reopen discussion. The confusion here is yours.

I saw a thread that was rejected but I decided to make another thread anyways regurgitating the same information.

Thanks for being worthless op.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@shouldsleep posted:

B. The scanlators could in some way not desire to have their scans posted here (happens more in novels rather than manga, but there are instances)
These were all good points, but this is a pretty important one actually. We're an aggregator, not a scanlation information cataloguing site (at least not properly yet although we've taken a few steps toward it), so marking some manga as having a completed translation in some language - or more importantly not marking it as such because the groups in question don't want them here - can become a bit of a can of worms politically within our niche. If we don't have the chapters and we mark it as completed, the users get confused and/or annoyed at us; and if we don't mark it, the groups might justifiably take it as a jab. Both scenarios are bad.

Another point that I'm not sure comes up often enough is that we definitely don't want to discourage competition, even though I don't think we're explicitly encouraging it. In my mind, if we were to deem a manga as "completed", it sends the wrong message to the groups wanting to work on whatever manga they'd like.

@shouldsleep posted:

C. If you see the end tag on a chapter you'd know it ended.
To be fair though, this doesn't necessarily mean it's completed, thanks to snipers and bonus chapters.

@Teasday

@shouldsleep posted:

C. If you see the end tag on a chapter you'd know it ended.

To be fair though, this doesn't necessarily mean it's completed, thanks to snipers and bonus chapters
The latter I get, but how do does the former work? Is it snipers skipping to the last chapter or just mislabeling?

Users who are viewing this thread