School Back - Ch. 9 - I'm Fine

Dex-chan lover
I'm with the guy on this one.

"Something's wrong, and I want to help!"

"I'm fine! visibly spaces out What were we talking about?"
And the girl is thinking "I'm not telling my first boyfriend I live in a hoarder's garbage heap."

Ans what's the deal with him getting all jealous of the janitor. Like, bro you just cannot control everything.

Group Leader
SPOILER_yuumi_copy.jpg

Group Leader
I mean, the issue with the boyfriend is that he thinks he can figure out how to solve the problem, no matter what it is. He has a pretty saviour attitude, and he gets jealous when he sees anyone able to make his girlfriend laugh because he can't. It's pretty clear he can't just let her enjoy his company, or provide a comfortable space for her—he feels the need to fix whatever is going on with her.
Him trying to interrogate her constantly about what's wrong with her and try to insert himself into the problem is just creating more stress for her.

At the end of the day, they just might not be a good match for each other. Not much to do about it, as Yuumi observes. He refuses to accept another perspective or approach, he wanted to use psychology as a means to achieve his goal rather than assess the best approach.

Dex-chan lover
I'm with the guy on this one.

"Something's wrong, and I want to help!"

"I'm fine! visibly spaces out What were we talking about?"
While i do understand the sentiment, guy's being inconsiderate ; he just talks without actually listening.

He's being all "i can fix her, and i want to be the one who do it"

Rather than "i want her to be fixed".

Dex-chan lover
While i do understand the sentiment, guy's being inconsiderate ; he just talks without actually listening.

He's being all "i can fix her, and i want to be the one who do it"

Rather than "i want her to be fixed".
Ans what's the deal with him getting all jealous of the janitor. Like, bro you just cannot control everything.

Look, when your girlfriend starts opening up to anyone but you, you tend to take that personally. Sure, she didn't open up, but he didn't know that. Really seemed to him like she's less unwilling to talk about the issue, and more unwilling to talk to him about the issue.

Meanwhile, she's trying to pretend everything is fine, but it keeps being a visible issue. It's not like the guy heard about a bad day she was having in passing and decided to make that his mission. She just. Keeps. Spacing. It's so obvious, that even he's noticed it's a continuing problem.

Dex-chan lover
Look, when your girlfriend starts opening up to anyone but you, you tend to take that personally. Sure, she didn't open up, but he didn't know that. Really seemed to him like she's less unwilling to talk about the issue, and more unwilling to talk to him about the issue.

Meanwhile, she's trying to pretend everything is fine, but it keeps being a visible issue. It's not like the guy heard about a bad day she was having in passing and decided to make that his mission. She just. Keeps. Spacing. It's so obvious, that even he's noticed it's a continuing problem.
True, but when you're down in the dumps, sometimes...the last thing you wanna do is worry your loved ones about it ; even in the expense of your own wellbeing.

Guy doesn't realize this, hence the disconnect between the two.

Dex-chan lover
That's certainly his issue in all this. I mean it's completely understandable to worry about someone you care about but he's too deep in the mindset that it needs to be about him saving her. Instead of suggesting to his girlfriend to go to a counseling session he tries to be the therapist himself. Instead of being happy that she's smiling for once he's upset at the person who got her to smile because it wasn't him. Instead of slowly helping her to a place of comfort he wants an immediate solution that he's at the center of. He's so focused on getting her to rely on him for help he's actively sabotaging any chance of actually helping her.

Dex-chan lover
That's certainly his issue in all this. I mean it's completely understandable to worry about someone you care about but he's too deep in the mindset that it needs to be about him saving her. Instead of suggesting to his girlfriend to go to a counseling session he tries to be the therapist himself. Instead of being happy that she's smiling for once he's upset at the person who got her to smile because it wasn't him. Instead of slowly helping her to a place of comfort he wants an immediate solution that he's at the center of. He's so focused on getting her to rely on him for help he's actively sabotaging any chance of actually helping her.
TL;DR: She refuses to talk about the problem, but she also refuses to just suck it up all the way.

It's also completely understandable that you'd worry about being the last guy to find out about your girlfriend's problems. Don't know if you noticed, but his problem isn't that she's not happy because of him, but that it looked like she'd opened up to a total stranger before him. And the guy's perfectly happy with letting the issue go. But, as he said, there are deeper issues at play that don't let her actually be happy. Remember, she visibly spaces out so much that the boy, despite this being his first girlfriend, picked up on it.

And as the audience, we actually see she lives in a filthy hoarder pit. I've been there before, and it's definitely not the kind of thing you just bottle up and hope your loved ones ignore. So we've got a girl in some SERIOUS shit, a boy desperate to do even just ONE thing for her, and a total lack of communication. She isn't willing/able to just shelf the problem long enough to enjoy the moment, and rather than actually let the boy, who has to deal with her moods, know what's going on, she'd rather just repress everything and watch him scramble to help.

Dex-chan lover
TL;DR: She refuses to talk about the problem, but she also refuses to just suck it up all the way.

It's also completely understandable that you'd worry about being the last guy to find out about your girlfriend's problems. Don't know if you noticed, but his problem isn't that she's not happy because of him, but that it looked like she'd opened up to a total stranger before him. And the guy's perfectly happy with letting the issue go. But, as he said, there are deeper issues at play that don't let her actually be happy. Remember, she visibly spaces out so much that the boy, despite this being his first girlfriend, picked up on it.

And as the audience, we actually see she lives in a filthy hoarder pit. I've been there before, and it's definitely not the kind of thing you just bottle up and hope your loved ones ignore. So we've got a girl in some SERIOUS shit, a boy desperate to do even just ONE thing for her, and a total lack of communication. She isn't willing/able to just shelf the problem long enough to enjoy the moment, and rather than actually let the boy, who has to deal with her moods, know what's going on, she'd rather just repress everything and watch him scramble for help.
I'll just stop dancing around it. He's being selfish. Being hurt that your girlfriend isn't opening up to you is absolutely normal but specifically refusing to tell your girlfriend to go see a counselor cause you think "I've got this" is incredibly selfish. Yeah, sure he's desperate to do ONE thing for her just not the one thing where he's not involved.

Not to mention driving a wedge between another positive relationship. In this case it's just the janitor so nbd but that sort of behavior is at least a pink flag.

The way you tlak about and blame the girl is actually a little disturbing dude. It's so malicious.
she'd rather just repress everything and watch him scramble for help.
Yeah dude I'm sure she's just munching on popcorn yucking it up and not trying to make it through the day the only way she knows how. She's not repressing her feelings enough not to spiil the mood. What a bitch. It's not like she's a vulnerable child trapped in a bad situation for so long it's normal to her. Jesus Christ.

Dex-chan lover
It's not control, at least not intentionally. He said his girlfriend always seems down but then he sees her with the janitor having fun and laughing and (seemingly) being more open with her than she is with him, her own boyfriend. He has every right to feel kind of pissy about that. Part of it is that he wants to help but he's also kind of pushy about it which she finds offputting but then he's pushy because she won't actually tell him anything and keeps brushing it off which makes it feel like she doesn't trust him which obviously hurts.

He's clearly not a bad guy or anything but he's also going about it the wrong way. You also have to remember he's a first year high school student. He's not a kid but he's also not an adult able to rationally observe the situation and find the optimal solution. I think saying he's got a savior complex or something is taking it too far as well. He's a teenager approaching the situation from an immature, simplistic teenage mindset. "My girlriend is obviously sad and this is the most important thing in the world to me so I want to make her not sad and will do every stupid idea my mind comes up with ignorant that it may be making things harder for her and pushing her away," is the type of thing a 15 year old is going to think.

Not to mention driving a wedge between another positive relationship. In this case it's just the janitor so nbd but that sort of behavior is at least a pink flag.
What positive relationship? We only see Sunohara and Fushimi interact the one time. It was brief and she was laughing at Fushimi's goofy reasoning, nothing deeper than that. Yuumi herself, you know the actual counsellor with presumably a degree in this stuff, told Fushimi to just leave them be. The problem between Sakai and Sunohara is something they're going to have to work out themselves and Fushimi's presence was inadvertantly causing more problems.

You seem to want to paint him as being some kind of shitty, manipulative person for some weird reason instead of taking the situation for what it is: two teenagers having an awkward teenage relationship. One wants to help but is pushy about it which causes problems for the other, the other has issues but refuses to actually be open about them which frustrates the one. Both are in a loop where their actions are making things worse and until they can realize that it's going to cause things to deteroriate and likely lead to them breaking up which is, ultimately, what probably will end up happening.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
It's not control, at least not intentionally. He said his girlfriend always seems down but then he sees her with the janitor having fun and laughing and (seemingly) being more open with her than she is with him, her own boyfriend. He has every right to feel kind of pissy about that. Part of it is that he wants to help but he's also kind of pushy about it which she finds offputting but then he's pushy because she won't actually tell him anything and keeps brushing it off which makes it feel like she doesn't trust him which obviously hurts.

He's clearly not a bad guy or anything but he's also going about it the wrong way. You also have to remember he's a first year high school student. He's not a kid but he's also not an adult able to rationally observe the situation and find the optimal solution. I think saying he's got a savior complex or something is taking it too far as well. He's a teenager approaching the situation from an immature, simplistic teenage mindset. "My girlriend is obviously sad and this is the most important thing in the world to me so I want to make her not sad and will do every stupid idea my mind comes up with ignorant that it may be making things harder for her and pushing her away," is the type of thing a 15 year old is going to think.
If it stopped with him being a bit pissy I honestly wouldn't have a thing to say about it cause that's perfectly understandable but telling her to stay away from ms janny after is about a half-inch over the line. Since it's just the janitor it's not a huge serious thing but it is a textbook manipulation tactic.

Dex-chan lover
If it stopped with him being a bit pissy I honestly wouldn't have a thing to say about it cause that's perfectly understandable but telling her to stay away from ms janny after is about a half-inch over the line. Since it's just the janitor it's not a huge serious thing but it is a textbook manipulation tactic.
Did you read some alternate version of this chapter or something? He never said anything to her about staying away from Fushimi. He talked to Yuumi, Yuumi picked up that Fushimi's presence was causing an issue and told her to just stay out of it and leave them be.

Users who are viewing this thread