Sekai de Yuuitsu no Tenshokushi: Job Hopper na Ore wa, Isekai de Subete no Job o Kiwameru Koto ni Shita - Ch. 4

Dex-chan lover
Grandmother Gerda is sharp and helpful. She wouldn't be making medicine for everyone otherwise, lucky she's the one he spilled to. Lol.

Dex-chan lover
The "convert fantasy coins to yen" trope is the one I hate most in isekai. A farmer in a rural village told you that it's a few silver coins to buy a sandwich, and from that you've somehow managed to not only parse the entire economy of a world you haven't seen, but are comparing it to a world from which there's no direct currency exchange? It's nonsensical. You could be in a world where meat is extremely cheap, or where houses can be built with a thought, or where there's more iron than copper or where certain technologies have yet to be invented. You have no idea yet how to measure the economy. Not to mention every country will have its own currency. As far as 'younger readers' - there's no need to even explain it. Just let them learn as the character learns what things cost.

also apparently this is my 1,000th post
The only thing that would be missing then is a frame of reference for if it's a large or small amount of money. That said, you don't need to convert to any real currency to do that. Just say that a silver coin would be a normal kid's pocket money or something like that.

Also, $7 reward for killing a wolf?

Dex-chan lover
The "convert fantasy coins to yen" trope is the one I hate most in isekai. A farmer in a rural village told you that it's a few silver coins to buy a sandwich, and from that you've somehow managed to not only parse the entire economy of a world you haven't seen, but are comparing it to a world from which there's no direct currency exchange? It's nonsensical. You could be in a world where meat is extremely cheap, or where houses can be built with a thought, or where there's more iron than copper or where certain technologies have yet to be invented. You have no idea yet how to measure the economy. Not to mention every country will have its own currency. As far as 'younger readers' - there's no need to even explain it. Just let them learn as the character learns what things cost.

also apparently this is my 1,000th post
There is no measuring the entire economy against the original, only a simple conversion. Meat being 100,000 yen/100g equivalent there can still be a thing, or houses crafted with earth magic are only 1000 yen a pop; there is no judgement about how expensive everything is or is not, only the equivalency to the yen for ease of understanding for the younger audience (and other idiots in general who can't understand value, I guess). It's done once and then left, with total value or specific coinage being used after that.

Dex-chan lover
I actually appreciate that the protagonist is confronted with common sense in this series. Grandma Gerda is the real MVP

Dex-chan lover
He should be glad that grandma isn't evil. Had this been "Onee sama and Giant" kind of isekai, he'd surely be dead the moment he spill them secret.

Dex-chan lover
Like how he just immediately spilled the beans on his super isekai power as soon as he was confronted about it.
wonder if you would need 'charm' points but i wonder how many isekai protags would be like "i've been sworn to secrecy" or so

Users who are viewing this thread