Sengoku Vampire - Vol. 1 Ch. 2 - Nagayori's older brother

I have so many qualms with this setting. Don't get me wrong, the art style is spectacular and I like some characters ('some', because god knows the main character and the male lead is making me question life decisions) but god damn is the plot an absolute mess.

1. I don't know what makes the main character special. I am of the opinion that it at least gets hinted from the beginning, but so far she's the blandest cardboard cut out of a girl I've ever seen and if the author's gonna pull a, "she's special because she gives him emotions" I am gonna choke every single one in the production team. She hasn't done anything unique so far. Why the hell is she considered the "one" if there's a lot of other humans who could accomplish the exact same reaction, down to the very last second?

Is it the blood? It's probably the blood, isn't it. If her blood isn't going to be further elaborated, I'm going to call this thing BS. That's not acquired by the character herself. It's an inherent value born of luck and trashes the romance entirely. What happens if her blood is shit? Would the male lead by swayed by tastier blood? WTF?? I hate these kinds of love at first sight romances because dude falls in love with trait, not action. An action has agency and will. A trait is handed down by fuck-not genes and magic and UGH! It's not romantic at all! How is this a romance?!

2. The whole monster stigma. I hate it?? So much??? Well shit man if I was Toshie I'd be scared as hell too because my friend that I've known for a considerably long time just flipped a 180 and is now murdering people? The hell? That's a huge whiplash! Pre-vampirism Nobunaga seems chill and would 11/10 want people to kill him so that no one gets hurt then after The Bite he goes out to massacre an entire group? Of course the main character doesn't know jack shit because they met for a grand total of two (2) days. TWO DAYS! If I were Toshie and this happened to be I'd be frankly pissed too and will start to call this girl a witch.

Nobunaga's even defending her even if she gave the go signal without the opinion of the people who would actually know what Nobunaga would want? His body was modified without his knowledge or express permission. Did they even care to ask him if he would be fine slaughtering people every couple of days to sate his blood cravings? No? I thought so.

"But he's dying!" Well shit man he obviously has something to say if he's second-guessing his identity after killing a couple souls or so. If you want to tell me that he probably would've agreed anyway, then show him being wary and accepting maybe? Asking, "Am I a monster?" doesn't exactly capture my vote of confidence.

3. I hate it because I like the yandere trope and this story gives no justification as to how the male lead fell in love after TWO DAYS and a taste of blood. No. That's ridiculous. That Y trope (I'll call it that because I want to at least cover up how much of a weeb I am) has potential to be smart and justified. (See; Face of Devil, Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun, and Heroic Death System.)

The Y trope only works if you've, hypothetically, maxed out the love meter in the dating sim. The Y trope works because of fluff, romance, angst, repeat. The Y trope works, let me repeat, because of FLUFF, ROMANCE, ANGST, REPEAT. The guy and girl meets, they like each other. Or hate. It doesn't matter. Then they spend the time being intimate and knowing each other's secrets, identities, fears, what they treasure, they respect each other, etc. Then you hit them with a million pound train of feelings crashing at 200 kph and make them despair: kill one of them, make them mistrust or hurt each other and show how they didn't actually have faults and were manipulated into it, torture one in front of the other, make one sacrifice themselves for the other's safety, the list goes on. RUIN THEM. That's how you break a person!! And that's how good Y tropes are born! If you want them salty and extra crispy, leave them in that wicked cycle for a few more times and you have yourself a mentally unstable person who very literally can't let the other go because who tf knows what happens the next time around.

Now, do you see why this pairing is shit at the whole thing? They don't have romance, much less fluff. Where is the angst? Nope, zilch, nada, just straight down to dark. There's no value. There's no weight to the dialogue that would otherwise makes hearts squeal. And the reason I hate it is because the had the opportunity, they perfected the Y trope face and— and there's no development? No slow burn? Ugh.

Gdi. I know I'm still going to keep on reading this. Fuck it.

I aint Japanese but I know Japanese history. But its probably just me, i'm feeling disturbed to know a historical figure as Oda Nobunaga to turn into such a fictional one as vampire. I wish writer would be more creative to create the own universe and history etc.

Users who are viewing this thread