Senki to Yobareta Otoko, Ouke ni Ansatsu Saretara Musume wo Hiroi, Issho ni Slow Life wo Hajimeru - Ch. 3

Considering that female knight is on the volume cover, I suspect she'll be living there as well.

Dex-chan lover
@geohie Cow's brain are fucking delicious, you're missing out a lot. Also, BSE affect whole cow, not just its brain

Double-page supporter
@Rizkid1412

While BSE does affect the whole cow, most of it is concentrated in the brain and nervous system(like the spine).

In fact, Britain's BSE epidemic was largely because they decided to also grind the spine into cow feed to maximize profits.

Dex-chan lover
"It seems the village is running out of food. "

"Hmm that's not good. It might be because of overpopulation."

"We need to figure something out or winter will be a problem."

"The land isn't good for large scale farming but I have an idea."

"What do you have in mind, Ordoll?"

"I'm going to bring back a herd of cows back to the village so we can farm them, a task which usually requires large scale farming of grains."

"Uhh-"

"Not only will I bring back cows, but I'll bring back SUPER cows too! A single cow will normally eat at least 24 pounds of food a day, but these super cows are twice as big as a normal cow and thus will likely eat three times as much. So a herd of this size will probably eat several hundred pounds of grains and grass a day."

"Our land can't even support a small village growing by a few more children than normal, how are we going to feed these behemoths without any preparation or planning or impacting the few resources we have?"

"Large scale farming, of course! Farming is like magic, food grows instantly."

"I see, the problem solves itself!"

Dex-chan lover
@Hitspark Feed less grain to your cows. Cows can consume all sorts of plants that aren't otherwise useful at all for humans. Not that long ago, in less developed parts of the world, cows were just pushed into forests and wastelands to eat whatever plants grew there naturally. Of course the amount and quality of milk produced might not have been as great, but it was the only choice. It's also why kids regularly were herding cattle and herding dogs were a real thing. Not to mention you can grow grass in poorer fields than grain and get more harvests in a summer.

The chapter also explained how they can actually create and tend more fields by using the cattle as beasts of burden.

Ahh. Kingdom making story.

Is that's the going to be the blond chick we see on the cover?

Aggregator gang
How does this guy learn things? He said initially to Maria "people look after themselves in this village", but that was clearly just him, who decided at 2 "Ok, I'm an adult now, i'm going to go live by myself" and took off with one knife into the woods. No one told him to do that. So he grew up as a wild child, then at some point "became patriotic" and went off to fight in the war as a mercenary for the kingdom. I can maybe understand that he went to fight because there was a conscription, and he thought fighting might help the villagers that had to leave return. But there's no reason to think that "fighting for the kingdom will help my village". And indeed, had he not returned, they would have starved during winter.

Then during his time as a mercenary he taught himself in five years, while also fighting a war and building up a mercenary squad of his own, how to read and write, maths, and accounting. Which ok, those are necessary for running a mercenary company. Then he learned about cattle herding, and the habits of great cows in particular. And how to make cheese and other milk products. And carpentry. And about spiritual arts, magic beasts, and who knows what else.

And despite all this, he never learned that it takes nine months for a human child to grow.

Author, you can't have your MC be both a wild child who is ignorant of human customs and basic facts of biology, and also a knowledge sponge who instantly "civilizes" everything he sees with knowledge he pulls out of his "life as a mercenary", as if that was an excuse for anything you need him to know. All of which he learned in five years.

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme Understandable but I believe the problem of feeding them still exists, even more so to the giant super cows. Even if you fed them less grains, they'd still need to eat a lot and their small ecosystem wasn't prepared to have that. Those animals should either lose a ton of weight or flat out die.

Their only option would be to let them run into the forest and eat, like you suggested, but the question is how long would it be before they've cleaned the forest of basic greenery? In less developed lands, the amount of cows you can use, feed and let roam are all still taken into consideration beforehand and none of them are super cows who would obviously require a ton more energy to survive. They'll likely have to start moving out further and further every time so the cows can find something to eat. I can't help but think the only way for the farm life to survive is if the farming, somehow, outpaces the cows dieting.

Dex-chan lover
@Hitspark That's true enough. There's some balance between the increased ability to grow fodder and the number of cows that are still fed enough to grow, produce milk, and be healthy. It most certainly shouldn't be as golden as the chapters showed, but it's a fantasy series, in the end, so things typically look easier and brighter than they would be in reality. Regardless, having some cows would be beneficial. Over the years, they ought to be able to increase the numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread