Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi - Vol. 3 Ch. 43

BCS

Dex-chan lover
@BestBoy it's not "cultural", pale/smooth skin is a sign of youth.

That said, BROWN LOLI ???

Dex-chan lover
@BCS Back when Japan was an agrarian state, whole families worked in the fields. Meaning children would tan too. It showed you were from a poorer family. It's totally cultural. Here's an excerpt from the Council of Foreign Affairs:

"The realities were much grimmer than the sentimentalization of the farmer deep in the muck of the rice fields. The majority of the tenants and part-tenants, comprising 70 percent of the farm families and cultivating more than half of the land, had little stake in that society. They met the exactions of their many masters with the produce from fragments of overworked land not large enough or rich enough to support their families."

Aggregator gang
@BC lolwut. what BestBoy is saying is right on the money. I still got family overseas that are hella darker than me and they try to use skin whiteners and everything cause most asians tend to be racist against the dark skin types.

My vanilla mind adores her and finds their interactions fluffy, but my hentai mind just sees the male lead as a giant recking that chibi lolita. It's still pretty weird she's like 3 feet tall and looks like a 10-year-old with a more mature? Face, and the guy looks like a naturally close to 6 feet tall buff guy.

Also, it's kind of messed up the side-characters already have more growth between them and the female is better heroine material for a romance.

Double-page supporter
@BestBoy -- I don't know how much "tan = poor" enters the equation in modern Japan. It wasn't something I ever heard of when I lived in Japan, though I was aware of how the light-skinned look was considered youthful while the more tanned look was older. (All of the middle-age guys I worked with had darker skin, while the girls in the office and younger guys did not.)

This chapter was all about ganguro, which had nothing to do with being poor. Ganguro were rich Japanese girls who were saying "F-U!" to the expected roles for women in Japanese society. Young women were expected to have light-toned skin, silky dark hair, and more natural makeup. Ganguro's went for dark skin, bleach-blonde hair, and ugly makeup. Futaba's fear is two-fold -- 1) she'll be branded as a trouble maker and thus get discriminated against when it comes to job opportunities or the like (because you either tow the line and conform, or you aren't going anywhere) and 2) she doesn't want to give her senpai fodder to make fun of her. She fails at #2, and her friend is telling her not to worry about #1.

Users who are viewing this thread