Seton Academy: Join the Pack! - Ch. 97 - We're All Growing (2)

@squerl Yep, much like the stuff about bonobos and their sexual behaviour, this chapter was also full of shit. It's a pity people have to create such disinformation in the first place.

NIB

Double-page supporter
Female Hyena: having a penis
Yak: i'm going to end this female whole career

Translator here. Hi.

@squerl
If anyone can track down the relevant quote on that site, though, I'd love to see it.

Sure. Here's the page in question: http://www.tibethouse.jp/about/mainland/animals/

I'll translate the second to last paragraphe for you:
Wild yak herds are typically made up of 1 male and 100 females. Tibet nomadic folks say that isn't because of the low male birth rate but because the mothers use their teeth to castrate a large part of kids only to keep the strongest, healthiest ones. The uncastrated males leave the herd and choose one female when the season of pairing comes. Wild yaks have ferocious, jealous and short-tempered disposition. That's why it was made sure that only a few males are kept in order to maintain peace in the herds. Kiangs (Tibet wild asses) are said to have a similar behavior.

This page is also the only source of information, so take this with a big grain of salt.
Also, I think the part about the kiangs is only related to the yaks' disposition, not to the whole thing.

Dex-chan lover
@Escaethorne it's not "disinformation", it's being uninformed and passing on what might well pass the smell test for someone uninvested or uninterested with the topic at large.
In this case, what was probably once a yak herder's tall tale to explain away the massive sex disparity has been taken as true, whether for artistic license or at face value. In the case of bonobo sexual behaviour, I believe that was in part due to an initial lack of confirmatory research (which is a problem in all scientific fields) and confirmation bias towards sexual liberation and non-violence. Both nonfactual anecdotes benefit from being simple to accept when the recipient has little background information to provide the factual context that would call them into question, and being amusing enough to gain traction among otherwise disinterested people. I don't think even 1% of the people responsible for propagating the "sexually liberated peaceful bonobo" idea also have an academic interest in bonobo social structure, over 99% just wanted an excuse to talk about "monkeys doin' it" without seeming completely puerile.
It's usually best not to attribute to malice that which could more simply be attributed to, to put it delicately, "low information"."

Dex-chan lover
@Escaethorne This is a comedy manga. Did you mistakenly think this is a biology textbook or something? Weird exaggerations, tall tales, common misconceptions, and anecdotes are perfect material for a manga like this.

@Kaarme
It reads like it's telling the truth, that's the problem. Comedy has nothing to do with it, the dude writing this clearly believes what he's writing.

Dex-chan lover
@Escaethorne When you turn on the news, you see politicians, armchair experts, Gretas and other activists, and all manner of other people talking bullshit as if it was the unquestionable truth, clearly believing in what they are saying or at least quite excellently giving the impression they do. That's a problem. Not a single person on Earth should read a comedy manga like this, full of anthropomorphised animals, and think they can take anything not too obvious from it without a healthy dose of salt. So, it's not a problem. That being said, if some elementary/middle school kid does, nonetheless, it won't really matter much. It would be a valuable lesson of the realities of life if/when they later get corrected by a wiser person.

This is called source criticism.

@Kaarme Sure, I agree with most of that, but you mention it'd be valuable lesson to someone mistaken if they were corrected, and that's what I'm doing. Only was to fight lies is with truth, though often it's like pissing in the wind.

Yo that swole yak just just shat all over whatever semblance of an image that Yena was trying to make of herself, pulling her back to reality like something outta scared straight lol.

Users who are viewing this thread