Shadows House - Vol. 5 Ch. 52 - The Four Starbearer Pairs

Dex-chan lover
Interesting, Barbie's eyes are clear. Is she perhaps immune to the mind alternating effects of the soot? I only speculate this because she's probably been so exposed to Barbra's soot and often has to take the lead for her Shadow that she's built up an immunity or is constantly breaking the rules

Thank you for the translation! I can’t wait for the anime adaption.

So there was an ex-star bearer named Christopher...is he that one mysterious dude that helped Emilyko before?

Hey everyone! Gonna post the link to the server in here as I've been doing. It was fun working on this and hopefully, we can catch up to the raws.
Shadows House: https://discord.gg/veyTEtM

Fed-Kun's army
Olivier is eccentric XD mad scientist

So Star Bearers not really like to follow Edward orders but do it because is from Grandfather.

@Karboon The chapters are released originally in black and white on the magazine. A week later (or on the week the following chapter comes out if there was a break) the official colored version is released on the website. For volume releases, the monochrome version can be bought both physical or digital and the color version is digital only.

@Karkoon The B&W is the raws from the magazine. The raws from the online site are colored, which is what we are using. I just put the B&W on there for no particular reason.

Thanks for the translation, and your notes afterwards. This is a fantastic story.

Curious who Christopher is, for the other children to love him and the star bearers to hate him. Barbara seems to have a big chip on her shoulder about Emily, for who knows why. And Oliver is best girl. I wonder if she inventes all the steampunk knick knacks around the house.

First off, thank you for the tranlation I was really hoping someone would pick this one up.

I think they should keep the 3rd person however. I personally believe that if it feels unnatural is because it's meant to. It feels like the shadows that haven't merged are incapable of refering to themselves in any other way. I mean if the raw goes through the trouble of putting their names in furigana every time, it's probably for a reason and when they don't do that it will definitely mean something.

Hmmm, alternatively , do the same and put their names in small font maybe?

Thinking about it I get why it hard to keep the 3rd person but it's something you'll have to add a note later pointing out when a shadow isn't using it or something, I don't know.

TL;DR - I prefer you keep the 3rd person , but you do you man, and thanks again.

Dex-chan lover
I think it’s more confusing to have them switch between first and third person since third person is such an unnatural verbal tic. I do think the third person helped characterize how odd they are (kinda like using the “royal we”) and it’s also sometimes useful just because of the absolute quantity of characters on screen. Third person makes it easier to remember who’s who, but switching between 3rd and first can kind of confuse the issue of who is speaking at any given time. Using “I” would be more natural but comes without the benefit of expositing everyone’s names.

@Freaks76 @gum_rummy

There are both meaningful and practical reasons as to the decision as well.

In terms of meaning, in sentences where the pronouns are implicit, the way they speak sounds very much like normal. Giving it a consistent 3rd person might make the shadows seem more "unnatural" than intended by the original text.

In terms of practicality, that means we do not have to worry about rewriting all sentences to 3rd person in a way that sounds natural. When the previous groups did it, you can still notice parts where they forgot to rewrite it in 3rd person (John on page 6 and Kate on page 8 of Ch. 28 for example). Or in other words, it just makes things easier.

Users who are viewing this thread