Shadows House - Vol. 5 Ch. 62 - The Night Sky

view

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for your work! Enjoy the break!

On the note of this chapter, I'm in the middle of a reread, and I'm realizing Kate might know even more than she's said so far. Way back in Chapter 6, Kate had Emilyko dress up in her dress even though it's not allowed. Direct quote: "The doll will end up looking like the complete existence." I don't know if that's because of the different translation team, but I think she's referencing the fact that living dolls and shadows are supposed to merge as adults.

This REALLY makes me wonder how much she knows, and just how and when she found out all this stuff. I already knew she wanted Emilyko to be more independent, but with that line, it looks like her motivation might have been intentionally sabotaging their ability to unify from the start. Probably because that would most likely "kill" Emilyko.

Fed-Kun's army
@fennec It is worth noting though that we are not entirely sure if the shadow is actually the dominant part after the merger, it could be a situation where the shadow and living doll are "equally" merged to form a new identity that isn't quite either of them, or even that the living doll might be dominant considering they are the ones directly brainwashed for loyalty toward the house.
So it could be a case where both Kate and Emilyko are at risk of losing themselves.

@Nimroth tho the clinger is somewhat in control when they forcibly fuse with random face. I wonder that after the successful fusion between shadow and their face can they be separated into 2 people again?

Dex-chan lover
@Nimroth Very good point! I'd assume the Living Doll loses their ego since the coffee seems geared to make them a "blank slate" for the unification process. Either way, does imply she knows about unifying, which I'm not sure is common knowledge among the children's house. Could just be a taboo subject to discuss with Living Dolls though, since it'd ultimately lead to a loss of their autonomy.

Fed-Kun's army
@herShie_4ever I could be wrong, but the impression I have is that it might be more like symbiosis rather than a complete merger, so the whole point of their education might be something like the shadow initially getting a proper education while the living doll is taught subservience and then you have them gradually influencing each other to the point that they are interchangeable mentally and can move together without either of them resisting the other.
So I assume it isn't really that they would lose themselves when the merger happens but rather because of the whole indoctrination leading up to that.
In that sense I wouldn't be surprised if a split is possible in some way as well.

Dex-chan lover
HAPPY HOLIDAYS Palmtop and Comfy Scans
@herShie_4ever wouldn't that mean that clingers in general are similar to deceased or failed shadows? like if shadows are just prepared to take the form of a human, the only thing clingers lack is the personality to unify properly. wouldn't there extreme desire for a face be a result of being loyal to grandpa?
@fennec @Nimroth wouldn't the question then be why do they merge? it seems that there personalities make them self-sufficient in there autonomy to produce soot as well as change the utility but assuming grandpa is omnipotent, what else would there be?
perhaps the expansion of forces? seeing as that glimpse of the village had people breathing in soot and being dependent/reverent of 'soot power' and grandpa's main ability is mental manipulation.

Twi

@IrregularPerson
I had always assumed the merger was to completely stabilize the shadow or else they’d be unable to sustain itself eventually. Like what we saw at the end of the maze.

For some reason, I suspect that they are right about Shaun's real name, but wrong about Emilyko's. I think she might be an Emily.

I wonder if any of the living dolls aren't sourced from the villages and are instead locally produced. I see no reason for the adults of the shadow house to be incapable of that.

I wonder how did Kate obtain information about the truth behind Shadow House in the first place? I tried to come up with several possibilities but the best I think is, maybe Kate's room was a former fellow dissidant's room (Christopher maybe?) and that person left a clue in that room which Kate found. She did read a lot, and in earlier chapters, she had a treasured black doll which could have been left by that person too. I could be wrong, but I think it's the most plausible one.

What if Kate is impostor? She might be failed shadow or clinger that removed original and is impersonificating "Kate"? Its improbable but not impossible, and would explain her knowledge and why is she keeping secrets from Emilyko.

Dex-chan lover
@Esasaeriri That might be the best theory yet! Did they say Christopher was specifically a dissident though? All I recall seeing is he's taboo to talk about, but I guess that would be why. That said, if the room DID belong to a dissident, it seems odd the other shadows wouldn't search it afterwards to make sure there's nothing to tip off the next resident though.

@quart04 I thought about Kate having already been a "failed" shadow who somehow came back, but it doesn't feel right. The one interesting thing about Kate is that while she knows a lot, her knowledge is also limited. She didn't know about the coffee, and she didn't seem to know about the debut process either.

All that said, not sure if the merge kills off the human's ego. But I suspect the "face" needs to be sufficiently "blank" or devoted to the shadow so that the shadow is in full control at all times.

@Esasaeriri @fennec My theory is that Kate is a special soot fairy. I think Kate already develop a sense of self, a personality even before she start mimicing Emilyko. Because of that she can remember the event that Emilyko is brought in and other fairy start mimic them, therefore she know "living doll" is human. Because Kate have already had a sense of self independent from Emilyko, that why Kate and Emilyko are so different in their characters as well as the fact that Kate is not brainwashed by Emilyko like what happen with John as stated in this chaper

Dex-chan lover
@Twi oh my. I guess that's my lapse in judgement, I thought there was a grander scheme of things.
@hgpnguyen could also be that Kate was more inspired by Emilyko's imagination, hehe. like how yellow team, the shadow is doting on her face and drawing conclusions, she's pretty narcissistic. Kate has a strong desire to learn and is elegant and quick-witted, but she also knows anger, Emilyko admires those who are accomplished and decisive. Emilyko has a strong curiosity and a great desire to better herself, not to mention early chapters had Emilyo observing and trying to understand Kate, it might not be true with other pairs. the two are also considerate of each other. seeing how 'living dolls' turned out to be humans, I'm just speculating on more subdue answers.
but out Kate is special, our protagonist that is cherished

Dex-chan lover
@hgpnguyen That's a pretty good theory, and probably my favorite so far. Though on the note of brainwashing, I think that was because Kate didn't drink the coffee after finding out it was bitter and gave Emilyko her coffee. Imagine how different the story would be if she had...

@hgpnguyen

Kate distrusted Emilyko at first because she was too loyal to the house (We know from Kate's thoughts in the chapter where she deprogrammes Emily). And she didn't knew about the brainwashing until after the debut.

So she couldn't knew Emily was a victim from the start.

I think the clue from a previous resident theory is the most solid.

@fennec

" I think that was because Kate didn't drink the coffee after finding out it was bitter and gave Emilyko her coffee. Imagine how different the story would be if she had..."

The Coffee (Or Soot mental powers in genenral) don't affect shadows at all, that's why the house has to do the much more complicated process to brainwash their faces to influence the shadows.

Users who are viewing this thread