Shamo

The story and writing starts off great, amazing art and illustration. The panel layout and transitions from scene to scene feel like a big budget movie. A brutal story about the hardships of life through the eyes of a troubled man who uses martial arts as a way to survive. After many trials and tribulations the story closes and I can honestly say I'm glad I delved into Shamo.

About half way through the manga the Author and Artist had gone through some legal trouble over the rights to the ownership of the manga. Another 3rd of the way through the manga had to change publishers and caused it to go on a long hiatus. After which one could argue the quality of both the writing and the art fell dramatically though still above average I would argue. I would like to warn any future reader that sadly the story ends with many open plot points that never get resolved and a more than lackluster ending did not help either.

I would still recommend this to anyone that prefers a more adult story similar to what you would find in mangas like: Berserk, Vagabond, Gantz.

This had the potential for greatness, unfortunately it never truly committed to the core themes and meanders a bit through wholly unneeded plot threads (China arc comes to mind) that dilute the overall value of the manga. I still highly recommend it if you're looking for a more mature read that doesn't averts its gaze from the MC's profound darkness, even if the story doesn't resolve itself as deftly as one might wish. While it may lack some thematic and narrative cohesion, it still manages to captivate.

Double-page supporter
I'm relieved to see that so many think alike me. Up until the fight with Sugawara, amazing, great read. It's downhill from here. Pointless opponents and fights, random characters and deaths. The story's all over the place. Quite a waste, however Iread the author died midway so it's not really surprising

Loved this manga up until that stupid ass China arc and holy fuck the ending was god awful. This was the biggest waste of potential I’ve ever read

I wasn't planning of making an account for this website but this manga truly captivates me. This is esoterically one of the most thematically dense manga I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing man, holistically there's so much to speak about, such as the indifference of the universe to Ryos pursuit of recognition, the theme of how Japan treats Ryus actions in a negative light, which sparks his own indifference to what he wants to live for, melding him into the person he is, how he and Toma parallel each other to a T (Natsumi leaving Ryu and Toma leaving dance, which is characterized by Jin being in the same position Ryu was in). There's so much to speak about this manga.. and yet, I can't speak to put my hand on any of it, Akio Tanaka has done such a fabulous job in offering a deep character study of Ryo Narushima, a boy raised into a spiteful devil by the society which he swore to not let 'kill' him, there's so much buddhist and christlike introspective in this manga, and yet as I said before.. I cannot describe it in words.
Because just as technical as this manga was, it was emotional. I was bawling my eyes out for the last 40 chapters because I already know what was coming to Ryo soon, because of a fucking spoiler, and yet, I was still crying. Crying for a scumbag who raped a woman, crying for a piece of shit. But that's because of how Akio Tanaka presents his manga, with such technical skill that it'll make you cry.
I understand why people might not like its manga, its presentation might not be for them, and that's okay! But that's the beauty of art, one who thinks a piece of fiction is so technical, so emotional, might not share the same opinion as someone who doesn't believe in what that person thinks.
While I think some of these criticisms are daft and that people really need to reread (even with that last sentence I just said in mind) I understand some points of contention, for example, the user who said that its main themes kinda get pushed down by the China arc a bit, I understand that, but I disagree, it's a meta textual insight into Ryo now being pushed not as the protagonist, but into the eyes of the viewer, as he slowly loses sight and understanding of his foes motives and ideals, only for his own pursuit of recognition.
Though I do believe that the china arc could've been delved on a bit more to add more depth, sometimes internal consistency doesn't matter to me that much, because if I see the idea, I'll rock with it till the end.
To anyone whose read this, please do not take this as an act of having a 'hot take' but as me sharing my own opinion, because I luv this manga fam, and what its done to me as someone whose also a teenager struggling with identity and bonds, has been nun short of crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread